Trine > General Discussions > Topic Details
Game Will Not Run.
Hello,

I have looked at the Steam Forums here and have done everything I can think of to make this game run on my computer, it does not.

I start the launcher, and hit "Start Trine", Comand Prompt starts, goes away, then it sits there and does nothing.

I have the latest verson of PhysX installed, and I updated the Windows Media Runtime 11 thingly-mabob in the files that were downloaded from Steam.

Could someone please help me with this problem? Trine 2 works perfectly fine.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
MarjutFB  [developer] Apr 29 @ 10:06pm 
Hi!

Here is something you could try. You can skip the parts you tried already, but
also it might not be a bad idea to retry them.

1. Try launching the game straight from its .exe
You can do this from the game's installation folder (at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine.exe). You could also try to launch it as administrator.

2. Try to install PhysX drivers[www.nvidia.com]
There might be some kind of issue with your PhysX drivers installation. So, I recommend trying to reinstall PhysX from the link above.

3. Compatibility mode
Especially if you're using Windows 8 it might be worth trying to start the game in compatibility mode too (e.g. Win 7 / Vista / XP SP3). You can do this through the game's .exe file.

4. Delete options.txt
Try to delete your options.txt file as that might be corrupted. Options.txt for Trine is located in the game's installation folder at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine\config just try to open the game normally after deleting it.

5. Verify game cache
If the game still doesn't work, try verifying the game cache in Steam (right click on Trine in Steam, click on properties and choose local files-tab and the button to verify integrity of game cache should be there). Also complete reinstall might be worth trying.

If it still doesn't work, did you happen to see somekind of error message in the Command Prompt? The error message might also have been recorded to the game's logs which is located at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine\logs. If there is something written there please send the txt-files to us by email to Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com. If you sent us an email please mention this thread in it.

Please also tell if the instructions made any differences. Could you also tell your operating system and other system information?

Let me know how it goes!
I have sent an E-mail to the specified address. I would like to thank you for helping me with this, as I don't think I have ever heard of a developer going so far to help a customer get their copy of a game to run, so thanks!
GTO May 1 @ 11:01am 
the same problem and noting :/
Yeah, I'm still awaiting a response.
RiikkaFB  [developer] May 1 @ 11:06pm 
Originally posted by HellOwneR77:
the same problem and noting :/
Did you also try the solutions Marjut posted above? If those don't work, could you also tell us if you saw any error message in the Command Prompt? As Marjut said above, the error message might also have been recorded to the game's logs, located at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine\logs.

You could also try updating your sound and graphics card drivers, as well as your operating system, if you have not already done so.

The solution I e-mailed to .:|c|u|:. (Old Fart) Crusty JR. is specific to his error message and operating system, so without knowing your error message, operating system and system specifications, I don't know if it would work for you. If your error message happens to be the same ("OMP: Error #15: Initializing libiomp5md.dll, but found libguide40.lib already initialized") you can try the following:

Windows 7:
1. Click Start > Control Panel.
2. Click System and Security > System > Advanced Settings in the left pane.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

Windows Vista:
1. Click Start > Control Panel.
2. Click System and Maintenance > System > Advanced Settings in the left panel.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

Windows XP:
1. Click Start > Control Panel and double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab in the System Properties window.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

You can read more about this issue here[software.intel.com]

You can also contact us at support [at] frozenbyte [dot] com. If you do, please mention your username and link this thread in your e-mail. :)

Let me know how it goes!
Last edited by RiikkaFB; May 1 @ 11:08pm
Originally posted by RiikkaFB:
Originally posted by HellOwneR77:
the same problem and noting :/
Did you also try the solutions Marjut posted above? If those don't work, could you also tell us if you saw any error message in the Command Prompt? As Marjut said above, the error message might also have been recorded to the game's logs, located at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine\logs.

You could also try updating your sound and graphics card drivers, as well as your operating system, if you have not already done so.

The solution I e-mailed to .:|c|u|:. (Old Fart) Crusty JR. is specific to his error message and operating system, so without knowing your error message, operating system and system specifications, I don't know if it would work for you. If your error message happens to be the same ("OMP: Error #15: Initializing libiomp5md.dll, but found libguide40.lib already initialized") you can try the following:

Windows 7:
1. Click Start > Control Panel.
2. Click System and Security > System > Advanced Settings in the left pane.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

Windows Vista:
1. Click Start > Control Panel.
2. Click System and Maintenance > System > Advanced Settings in the left panel.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

Windows XP:
1. Click Start > Control Panel and double-click System.
2. Click the Advanced tab in the System Properties window.
3. Click Environmental Variables at the bottom of the dialog box.
4. In the User Variables section, click New.
5. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK (name must contain capital letters and underscores).
6. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.
7. In the System Variables section, click New.
8. Enter the variable name KMP_DUPLICATE_LIB_OK.
9. Enter the variable value TRUE and click OK.

You can read more about this issue here[software.intel.com]

You can also contact us at support [at] frozenbyte [dot] com. If you do, please mention your username and link this thread in your e-mail. :)

Let me know how it goes!

Hey,

I followed you're steps and have now finally recieved an actual visible error message. This message says "No DLLs Were Found In The Waterfall procedure. I have Re-E-mailed you a copy of the error message.
RiikkaFB  [developer] May 5 @ 12:46am 
Originally posted by .:|c|u|:. (Old Fart) Crusty JR.:
I followed you're steps and have now finally recieved an actual visible error message. This message says "No DLLs Were Found In The Waterfall procedure. I have Re-E-mailed you a copy of the error message.
I also replied to you by email already, but I'm posting here too in case this helps someone else. :)

These errors are usually caused after accidentally uninstalling some required DLL's - this might have happened for instance if you have uninstalled some media players.

Do you happen to have GoPro installed on your computer? If you do, you could try the instructions here.[gopro.com]

If you don't have GoPro installed, could you tell what media players you are using? In some instances, if you have deleted Windows Media Player, re-installing it might help. You can go here[windows.microsoft.com] for help

I hope that helped. Please let me know how it goes!
Last edited by RiikkaFB; May 5 @ 12:47am
I do indeed have GoPro Studio installed, for video editing. I have removed the files that GoPro had specified, and the game now runs! Huraa!! Thank you!
RiikkaFB  [developer] May 6 @ 2:10am 
Originally posted by .:|c|u|:. (Old Fart) Crusty JR.:
I do indeed have GoPro Studio installed, for video editing. I have removed the files that GoPro had specified, and the game now runs! Huraa!! Thank you!
Awesome! Great to know you got it working. Have fun with the game. :)
AMBUSH! May 6 @ 4:48am 
in w8 dont work? i can't run it in XP mode or win 7...
RiikkaFB  [developer] May 6 @ 5:00am 
Originally posted by AMBUSH!:
in w8 dont work? i can't run it in XP mode or win 7...
The game should work in Windows 8, though sometimes it might be worth a try to try running it in compatibility mode. :)

Are you having difficulties with Trine? If so, could you please specify your problem a little more? Please also check out this thread for the most common solutions. :) Cheers!
AliceMarie62 May 8 @ 8:10am 
im having the same problem on my windows 8 laptop and i have tried all the things it says above to try, nothing works
ShadowOfTheWolf1 May 8 @ 11:31am 
me my game run good and i love this game :P
RiikkaFB  [developer] May 9 @ 12:34am 
Originally posted by alicechurch69:
im having the same problem on my windows 8 laptop and i have tried all the things it says above to try, nothing works
Could you please send us an email to Support [at] Frozenbyte [dot] com. Please link this topic and mention your username in your email. Also mention your full system specifications and a detailed error description of your problem along with a list of things you have already tried, like do you get any error messages or anything like that. All this is just so that we can determine the cause for your problem better. :)

Also, if there are any logs recorded in the txt-files at \Steam\SteamApps\common\Trine\logs, please attach those in your email.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll definitely look into this once we know a little more about your problem! I hope we'll get this solved. :) Cheers!
I am now unsubscribing from this forum, as my problem is now solved and I cannot help out any, as I have no idea how. Good luck to everyone and have fun when you finally get the game running!
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 29 @ 9:21am
Posts: 22