z0rrer0 Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:16am
Flamethrower is overpowered
Hi all,

I've been playing Rising Storm since beta release and in my humble opinion the flamethrower is much overpowered.

A man with a flamethrower should...:
1.- Be slower since it's a heavy equipment
2.- Have a more limited range. 20 meters as a max
3.- Its Flame should not kill you instantly. At least when you are almost out of range
4.- Be more visible. They walk around like ninjas and when they use the flame, you don't know where the soldier is flaming from :S
*5.- I forgot to mention, that the flame goes through walls of any type. Even through floor :S

It's really annoying to play versus them. Allies have better weapons and, in addition, they got this instakill machine :S come on.

I wish you update this with a patch as soon as possible

Regards
Last edited by z0rrer0; Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:09pm
Showing 1-15 of 160 comments
< >
Plastic 1 Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:19am 
Here we go again. The only point I can support is the 4th one, because playing as Japanese I've seen a lot of times the flames coming seemingly out of nowhere, but maybe it's just a good play from flamethrower's side.
Devoidless Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:29am 
The only complaint I have about the flamethrowers falls in line with #2. The model used during WWII weighed just about 70 lbs. when filled.

Personally, I find it a little silly that someone carrying and extra 70 lbs. on their back runs and sprints as fast as someone carrying a Springfield or M1 Garand rifle. This also includes ammunition and such taken into account.

Just a minor gripe.
PillowSamurai Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:31am 
yeah, Im sorry, but as Ruston said, I disagree with you on all but the last point. I've played as both American (using the flamer) and Japanese (being toasted), and I can say for sure your second and third points are already implemented. I have started to flame someone and they've mangaged to kill me before I do them. Also, the flamethrower has a pretty limited range; I've been killed by Japanese players with submachine guns, and I can't reach them.

Lastly, I just want to point out that Tripwire's goal was realism, so they probably did their research on (maybe even fired) the M2-2. They made a hell of a game so far, so I dont think one of them just decided to throw in something without being knowledgable on it first.

I do know what you mean though, it can be annoying. Just think strategy when playing as the Japanese. Cheers!
Groene_Thee (Banned) Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:57am 
Flamethrower is too run n gun at the moment. Like it weighs nothing!
Why cant the flamethrower have the same speed as the full weight engineer in RO2?
Also, it needs far more recoil when you fire it.

And the flamethrower on defending US team maps? Seriously? Thats bound to be unbalanced, unlogical and unhistorical. Just camp in a capzone building and spam flames away. Bullets cant touch you since they cant see you through the flames while you run-n-gun and the flames are being deflected by the walls, let alone that grenades can reach you if you take minimum distance...

...whats worse is that you get MULTIPLE flamethrowers...that respawn relatively fast....
Last edited by Groene_Thee; Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:58am
z0rrer0 Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:05pm 
Originally posted by Bitswag:
yeah, Im sorry, but as Ruston said, I disagree with you on all but the last point. I've played as both American (using the flamer) and Japanese (being toasted), and I can say for sure your second and third points are already implemented. I have started to flame someone and they've mangaged to kill me before I do them. Also, the flamethrower has a pretty limited range; I've been killed by Japanese players with submachine guns, and I can't reach them.

Lastly, I just want to point out that Tripwire's goal was realism, so they probably did their research on (maybe even fired) the M2-2. They made a hell of a game so far, so I dont think one of them just decided to throw in something without being knowledgable on it first.

I do know what you mean though, it can be annoying. Just think strategy when playing as the Japanese. Cheers!

Well, they are not implemented since I'm complaining about them and I've been playing many hours.

You talk about realism...well, I'm not a flamethrower(FT) expert, I guess you're not either. But what I've seen on videos and read on books is that a WWII FT range is 20m, It's heavy, its deposits are tiny and you can see them from far away when flaming for obvious reasons. Anyway, we're talking about a videogame where you're supposed to have fun. And to have fun you need both teams balanced.

Thanks a lot for your opinions. I guess we just think diferent

Regards
Flusha#Biceps VACation Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:08pm 
3x flame on 64 server are joke shuld be 1x like sniper
Yoda McGregor Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:14pm 
Originally posted by z0rrer0:
flamethrower is much overpowered.

So the Americans win most of the time? If not, get over it.
K@n@y Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:15pm 
Originally posted by Bagration:
Flamethrower is too run n gun at the moment. Like it weighs nothing!
Why cant the flamethrower have the same speed as the full weight engineer in RO2?
Also, it needs far more recoil when you fire it.

And the flamethrower on defending US team maps? Seriously? Thats bound to be unbalanced, unlogical and unhistorical. Just camp in a capzone building and spam flames away. Bullets cant touch you since they cant see you through the flames while you run-n-gun and the flames are being deflected by the walls, let alone that grenades can reach you if you take minimum distance...

...whats worse is that you get MULTIPLE flamethrowers...that respawn relatively fast....
Pretty much this, plus no need to aim with it , like aiming down sights for the rifles , i know it have no sights but i think forcing players to use it in aim mode will be better.

Actually run and spam flames all around, facing a wall and using it against guys next to the walls not even one meter away will burn the guys but you will have yourself zero damages when you should have been burned doing this etc etc ...

I think some adjustments needs to be done and the damages to the operator can inflict to himself in many situations when not used with precaution needs to be revised too, this is the biggest flaw for me.
Last edited by K@n@y; Jun 3, 2013 @ 12:24pm
Valiant™ Jun 3, 2013 @ 1:56pm 
If as much as an atom of the flame touch me im dead, instant.
z0rrer0 Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by Valiant:
If as much as an atom of the flame touch me im dead, instant.
True! :D
Max Damage Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:07pm 
The game is very well balanced and flamer too.
Frosty Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:18pm 
Only thing I agree with is the fact it should weigh them down a bit, shorten their sprint length a bit perhaps. Aside from that it's fine, using that thing makes you public enemy number 1 from every direction the moment those flames light up. Also if you hate how fire can incapacitate you so quickly go play action mode with a flamethrower see how fun that is.
Last edited by Frosty; Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:18pm
Loco Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
You can't actually "run and gun" and you also can't "just spam flames" if you don't want to be kicked for tk's. It requires a very good map knowledge, aswell as situation awareness and constant map checking to not roast your own team.
After you done all that you still need to get near the enemy without being blasted.

In conclusion you are either a bad player or a good player, the flamer doesnt do too much for your stats on itself.
Last edited by Loco; Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:37pm
Metal Izanagi Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:55pm 
Yeah, sorry, but as with many others in this thread, I don't agree with you, OP. I've played both with and against the flamer, and I've yet to see it turn the tide of a battle. If a flamethrower user is crushing the other team, it's likely because they're /good/ with that class, and you're /bad/ with yours. I've seen some really good uses of the flamer, and some really stupid uses of the banzai charge.(Entire teams banzaing straight into a flamethrower guy, basically giving him free kills.)
Proteus Jun 3, 2013 @ 3:24pm 
Wikipedia says 20m as effective range but 40m as maximum range:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2-2

from other sources I heard as well, that usually movies and the like misrepresent the range of flamethrowers with regards to making them too short ranged.

So maybe a good representation may be to make them 100% deadly up to 20m and with a lesser chance to kill you outright at ranges > 20m (up to 40m).

As for flamethrowers being overpowered ... don´t agree ... flamethrowers are a mighty weapon, but so are light mortars if they are used right ... so IMHO it is a balance of power.
I fully agree with 1. however, i.e. that soldiers with flamethrowers should be considerably slower (so should MG specialists as well, btw. )
Showing 1-15 of 160 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 3, 2013 @ 11:16am
Posts: 160