Jarection May 17, 2013 @ 7:01pm
Hey guys buy our game now; we'll release a free Pacific expansion later!
lol jk you gotta pay for it!
Showing 1-15 of 71 comments
< >
Moskeeto May 17, 2013 @ 7:03pm 
They never promised it would be free.

TWI said they had a mod team working on a Pacific mod.
If it was of decent quality, then they would release it as an official mod on Steam.
If it was of good quality, then they would take it in-house and work on it as an expansion.

Guess which one happened?
Last edited by Moskeeto; May 17, 2013 @ 7:03pm
Jarection May 17, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by RST Moskeeto:
They never promised it would be free.

TWI said they had a mod team working on a Pacific mod.
If it was of decent quality, then they would release it as an official mod on Steam.
If it was of great quality, then they would take it in-house and work on it as an expansion.

Guess which one happened?
They must have started saying that later on, probably when development started to get good lol... Money > Morality
Pistolero May 17, 2013 @ 7:29pm 
I'd have to know all of the titles in TWI's line, plus the sales figures to know how much revenue TWI generates annually; but if you sell 10,000 units of RS at $18 per unit that is a grand total of $180,000, which in business terms is peanuts. I have 21-yr old clients working as crabbers or working in the oil fields in North Dakota who make almost that much money. It is wrong not to get paid for what you are doing; not the converse.
Micket May 17, 2013 @ 7:30pm 
Originally posted by Maximilian:
Originally posted by RST Moskeeto:
They never promised it would be free.

TWI said they had a mod team working on a Pacific mod.
If it was of decent quality, then they would release it as an official mod on Steam.
If it was of great quality, then they would take it in-house and work on it as an expansion.

Guess which one happened?
They must have started saying that later on, probably when development started to get good lol... Money > Morality
Someone wants to get paid for working? -gasp-
Last edited by Micket; May 17, 2013 @ 7:32pm
Moskeeto May 17, 2013 @ 7:36pm 
Originally posted by Maximilian:
Originally posted by RST Moskeeto:
They never promised it would be free.

TWI said they had a mod team working on a Pacific mod.
If it was of decent quality, then they would release it as an official mod on Steam.
If it was of great quality, then they would take it in-house and work on it as an expansion.

Guess which one happened?
They must have started saying that later on, probably when development started to get good lol... Money > Morality
No, you are incorrect. They said this from the very beginning.
Tovarisch Zhukov May 17, 2013 @ 7:48pm 
Originally posted by Pistolero:
I'd have to know all of the titles in TWI's line, plus the sales figures to know how much revenue TWI generates annually; but if you sell 10,000 units of RS at $18 per unit that is a grand total of $180,000, which in business terms is peanuts. I have 21-yr old clients working as crabbers or working in the oil fields in North Dakota who make almost that much money. It is wrong not to get paid for what you are doing; not the converse.

It is, however, wrong to be developing a mod before the game comes out, even have a page on ModDB for it as a marketing strategy. Honestly I couldn't care less about the Pacific theatre, however, there are some who would have seen the mod and bought the game expecting that eventually the mod will come out. Yes I realize that buying a game for a mod is stupid, but there are people who do it before mods are even released.
Jarection May 17, 2013 @ 7:58pm 
I don't have a problem that you have to buy it, I think it's only fair if they are paid for their work. I don't really care that I don't get it for free; I just think it's stupid how they talked about a free mod and then make you pay for it. Stop taking me out of context. They just used Rising Storm as a dirt technique to entice people to buy Red Orchestra, that's the only thing that upsets me (and no, I didn't buy RO:HoS for RS). And about money, iirc they gave about $30,000 to the winners of the mapping contest; so for a small company I don't think they are doing too poorly in terms of cash.
Moskeeto May 17, 2013 @ 8:03pm 
They are actually doing pretty well. RO2 has been their most profitable title on launch, Killing Floor still sells like hotcakes during sales along with its skins and weapon packs. They have grown quite a bit lately too, hiring a few devs that used to work for AAA studios. Rising Storm should make them just that much more profitable. I hope they grow enough to move onto Killing Floor 2 at some point.
Jarection May 17, 2013 @ 8:06pm 
Originally posted by RST Moskeeto:
They are actually doing pretty well. RO2 has been their most profitable title on launch, Killing Floor still sells like hotcakes during sales along with its skins and weapon packs. They have grown quite a bit lately too, hiring a few devs that used to work for AAA studios. Rising Storm should make them just that much more profitable. I hope they grow enough to move onto Killing Floor 2 at some point.

This is exactly why I think it was a ♥♥♥♥ move of them to do such a thing.
Joe Tollroad May 17, 2013 @ 8:27pm 
Calm down, you dont need to pay for it to play it(however you'll have a few limitations).
Mexicutioner May 17, 2013 @ 8:38pm 
Originally posted by ♥♥♥♥ kicker:
Calm down, you dont need to pay for it to play it(however you'll have a few limitations).

?
Moskeeto May 17, 2013 @ 8:39pm 
Originally posted by Mexicutioner:
Originally posted by ♥♥♥♥ kicker:
Calm down, you dont need to pay for it to play it(however you'll have a few limitations).

?
All RO2 owners get to play RS for free but only as rifleman.

EDIT:
Source: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1214704&postcount=41
Last edited by Moskeeto; May 17, 2013 @ 8:40pm
Praxius May 17, 2013 @ 8:40pm 
Who buys a game for a mod?

Many people bought BF2 for Project Reality.

Many people bought UT2004 for ROCA

Half-Life???
Moskeeto May 17, 2013 @ 8:42pm 
Originally posted by Cpt-Praxius:
Who buys a game for a mod?

Many people bought BF2 for Project Reality.

Many people bought UT2004 for ROCA

Half-Life???
Many people bought Half-Life for Counter-Strike, which later becamse a retail game. I'm sure you know that though.
Last edited by Moskeeto; May 17, 2013 @ 8:42pm
Mexicutioner May 17, 2013 @ 8:46pm 
Originally posted by RST Moskeeto:
Originally posted by Mexicutioner:

?
All RO2 owners get to play RS for free but only as rifleman.

EDIT:
Source: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1214704&postcount=41

whatta crock of ♥♥♥♥t, I wouldnt of bought it then lol.
Last edited by Mexicutioner; May 17, 2013 @ 8:46pm
Showing 1-15 of 71 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 17, 2013 @ 7:01pm
Posts: 71