- remove realism and action mode, there should be only one mode, namely: classic. Make the current classic mode the only mode you can play. This is closest to what RO1 made great. It will keep much of the CoD-audience away that loves to play realism and action mode. Many players (that never liked RO1 formula anyways) will not like this, but a sacrifice has to be made to make this game future-proof.
I dont know if TWI targeted this CoD-audience, but I do think so looking at how realism plays out and looking at the RO2 symbols, boxcover and (faulty) unlocksystem.
But hey, even the best gaming companies make mistakes. TWI is no exception.
- limit playercount to 50 for the big maps, 40 for the smaller ones. Many maps feel like a senseless push and pull WW1 style meatgrinder. Making flanking and other tactics non-existent since on every inch of map there is an enemy. Play Kwajalein and Hanto to experience that. Lets face it: many maps were never made to harbor 64 players, yet every map is being played with 64 players. Hell, many RO1 maps were bigger and some of those maps felt too crowded with the max 50p playercount.
- remove flamethrowerclass from US defending team, keep it if US team has to attack, also fix the ''invincible to bullets''-bug if flamethrower is firing. It is impossible for japanese to cap a capzone if flamethrower is hiding in a corner spamming flames that bounces off of walls. No grenade or mortar or bullet can counter that. The abundance of semi-auto weapons for US defending-team is more than enough.
- slightly rework existing maps that are considered unbalanced. For example: make another passageway to warehouse in Stalingradkessel OR make the warehouse cap lockable once captured by attacking team. On bridges of druzhina, open up more obvious buildings and place more cover/armor for the attacking team. This map was based on a DH1 map which had more armor and cover for attacking team. Right now, this map is an axis-stacked meatgrinder for russian team.
- Make the soundmutator standard or at least whitelisted: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145520002&searchtext=
- Implement the community made vehicles, accompanied by a few maps that can harbor them (reworked bridges perhaps?)
Go ahead and call me pretentious, but only these changes can ensure quality of RO-gameplay and can halt the dwindling playercount.