Tips for new guys and gals starting out in the game, based off of what I've observed so far.
I just got this game during the awesome Steam Holiday sale, I've only been playin on realism (reminded me of BC2 Hardcore mode :P) and I've taken note of a couple of things I think new players should know.
1. From the short time I've been playin I've noticed that some people take this game very seriously, serious enough that you might be inclined to believe they think they're actually in WW2 fighting to survive. Beware of these people; they have a tendency to get rather upset when they're not winning and create a toxic gameplay environment for those of you who are trying to learn the ropes or who just want to have some fun. Some of these people are server admins, look for titles in their names before you go and tell them to calm their tots unless you're lookin for a ban. (just got banned from a server myself for telling one of the admins its just a game while he was yelling at players for being "♥♥♥♥ing idiots").
2. This game is complicated, has alot more buttons and functions than many pc games, and isn't ur standard shooter (ie. not just about your kdr); there is alot of teamwork involved. If you're just starting out and you're playin on a populated server, try not to pick Squad Leader class, Sbiper, or Commander class until you get a better hang of how their roles work in combat.(also some servers have rules saying their members get first pick of these classes so be prepared to have to change roles because of that). My advice.. DO THE TUTORIAL. It contains valuable information about game mechanics and can let you mess around with buttons and mechanics without screwin your team over :P.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for help. For the most part this community is awesome at helping new people out and they'll be glad to help you out. And for those vets of the game, keep in mind we were all noobs once.
4. Follow your superiors, Squad Leaders (SL) and Commander, I've had the most fun in this game so far when everyone is working together to capture objectives and moving as one big machine rather than a billion tiny individuals; you'll be more likely to win and you'll have a better time. Also, if you're playing realism, take some time to find the differences between you're team's uniforms and the enemy's. That may sound silly but this game places a huge priority on target identification. Usually people can be pretty darn forgiving in this game when it comes to TKs just don't keep doing it and say sorry if it does happen, an apology can make all the difference.
5. Don't get angry. Easier said than done I know but keep in mind that all you're going to accomplish is making the game miserable for yourself and if you get mad at others you're going to ruin their fun too. If you absolutely must say something try being constructive and using please and thank you, people will be much more receptive that way. The last thing you want is a toxic game where no one is having fun.
Im sure plenty of you will have more tips and advice for new players, feel free to put anything down here I may have forgotten. New players feel free to ask for help as im sure lots of people will be more than willing to help :)
Edit: Nice guide here courtesy of Flesch http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137146141
Nice guides here that compliment the above guide courtesy of Pte Maylam :)http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122208818http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144224938