I HAVE NOW OFFICIALLY MOVED OVER TO THE DAYZ DISCUSSION PAGES. I WILL NO LONGER GIVE ANY FURTHER INDIVIDUAL SUPPORT IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE. PLEASE REFER TO THE THREAD, OR FIND SOMEONE WHO ACTIVELY PLAYS THE MOD.
Guys, for the love of everything. Don't send your CD-keys to anybody. Not even support staff. Only Bohemia Interactive knows what to do with CD-keys, and it's really awkward to tell you not to do it. This means; Don't show them to people on Steam, nor anyplace that has a support-ticket system like the official DayZ mod. We cannot help.
Note that these errors and their solutions should work for non-DayZ related problems.
Whether you're trying to play the original game or other mods, the errors are the same,
though I am only actively trying to help people to get DayZ working.
PROPER WAY TO INSTALL THE DAYZ MOD THROUGH STEAM:
1. Run Steam as administrator.
2. Download A2 and A2:OA
3. Run both games once.
(3a.) Additionally download the A2:OA beta patch.[www.arma2.com]
4. Download A2:DayZmod
5. Install A2:DayZmod in the same drive as A2:OA
THINGS TO NOTE:
- Make sure all your drives are up-to-date, especially DirectX 9.
- I highly recommend the DayZ Commander.[www.dayzcommander.com]
- No matter what error you're getting, try starting Steam as administrator.
- If you're using DayZ Commander, enable the Beta Patch from the settings.
The user "Andy Red" has written a throughout guide on the many ways to improve your performance in DayZ and ARMA 2. You can read it HERE.[dayzmod.com]
List of errors(use CTRL+F)
1. ERROR: "Bad Serial Number Given on Setup" or "Invalid or Missing Serial Number"
2. ERROR: "Connection Failed" or "Bad version, server rejected connection"
3. PROBLEM: v1.62 instead of v1.62.xxxxxx
4. ERROR: "BattleEye initialization failed."
5. ERROR: "No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadown'."
6. ERROR: "Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0"
7. ERROR: "Addon 'dayz_anim' requires addon 'CA_Dubbing_Counterattack'"
8. PROBLEM: Black screen and/or Crash to desktop on start-up
9. PROBLEM: Spawn as a crow/bird.
10. PROBLEM: No servers showing up in the server browser.
11. PROBLEM: Really low FPS. (i7-processor)
12. PROBLEM: Missing Czech Republic DLC
13. ERROR: "Instruction at X referenced memory at 0x000000XX. The memory could not be read."
16. ERROR: "No Entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgMagazines.ItemNails'."
ERROR: "Bad Serial Number Given on Setup" or "Invalid or Missing Serial Number"
SOLUTION 1: Close Steam, then run as administrator. Run ARMA 2. Run ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.
SOLUTION 2: Delete a file called "localconfig.vdf" in .\Steam\userdata\#\config
The # is a series of digits that varies depending on your account. (If you've had multiple accounts active through your computer.) Restart Steam and run it as administrator.
1. Uninstall A2/A2:OA entirely. (Including the folders in registry.)
2. Close Steam.
3. Run Steam as administrator and reinstall the games.
WHY: (solution 1) Steam writes your serial numbers into your registry , but cannot do it if it doesn't have the rights to edit registry. Running both games means that Steam will re-write both serial numbers for both games. That way DayZ will work the next time you try to play it.
ERROR: "Connection Failed" or "Bad version, server rejected connection"
SOLUTION 1: Sort servers by "Mission" and look for missions labeled as "DAYZ" (Note the all caps.) These are the only servers you can join with just the Steam version.
SOLUTION 2: Download DayZ Commander[www.dayzcommander.com] to keep DayZ, ARMA 2, and all unofficial maps and community-variants of the mod up-to-date. This is the BEST THING you can do if you want the most out of DayZ.
WHY: I keep bumping a discussion page about this.
PROBLEM: v1.62 instead of v1.62.xxxxxx
SOLUTION 1: Download and run ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta, and launch DayZ with the beta patch.
SOLUTION 2: Download DayZ Commander[www.dayzcommander.com] for easier handling of everything you need for DayZ.
SOLUTION 2: Download a beta patch manually from here: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
WHY: You are missing a Beta Patch. DayZ Commander is the best solution for getting one, because you can easily pick and choose which build to use.
ERROR: "BattleEye initialization failed."
SOLUTION: Manually download and reinstall BattlEye. You can download BattlEye from here: http://www.battleye.com/download.html
WHY: ARMA 2 does its best to try and connect to BattlEye's update server, but sometimes there's a problem either on your end(most likely) or their end. When this happens, it's simply better to just download it yourself.
ERROR: "No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgInGameUI/MPTable.shadown'."
SOLUTION 1(unsure): Update your DirectX driver. Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX 9.
1. Go to .\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\
2. Run the "_runA2CO.cmd" or "_runA2CO_beta.cmd" to launch the game.
1. Go to .\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\
2. Delete the @DayZ -folder.
3. Verify integrity of game cache.
4. Run ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
5. Close ARMA2OA and try running DayZ again. (After re-download.)
1. Uninstall ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead through Steam.
2. Close Steam and run it as administrator.
3. Reinstall ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.
4. VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE FIRST.
5. Run ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead.
6. Close ARMA2OA and try running DayZ again.
ERROR: "Error compiling pixel shader PSSpecularAlpha:0"
SOLUTION 1: Update your DirectX driver. Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX 9.
SOLUTION 2: Close Steam and run it as administrator.
ERROR: "Addon 'dayz_anim' requires addon 'CA_Dubbing_Counterattack'"
1. Go to .\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\
2. Copy the content of the 'addons' folder.
3. Go to .\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Common\
4. Paste and replace/merge the files.
(5. Additionally, copy the entire Addons folder into A2OA's main folder.)
WHY: The required animations are in the ARMA 2 addon folder. Copying them over to ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead will also add them to where DayZ can find them. Not everybody are required to do this. (Assuming they don't have the error.)
PROBLEM: Black screen and/or Crash to desktop on start-up
1. Go to C:\Users\...\Documents\ArmA 2\ (Path may vary depending on which version of Windows you are running. Look for your "My documents" or "Users and Documents" if you're running older versions of Windows like Windows XP or Vista.)
2. Open the arma2oa.cfg in notepad, notepad++, or other simple text editor.
3. Find these lines:
Resolution_W=1920; (The value after '=' might be different.)
Resolution_H=1200; (The value after '=' might be different.)
4. Change the _W value to your screen WIDTH
5. Change the _H value to your screen HEIGHT and save.
6. Run the game again.
SOLUTION: 2. Go to C:\Users\...\Documents\ArmA 2\
2. Open ArmA2OA.cfg with notepad, notepad++ or similar.
3. Find "Windowed=0;" and change the 0 to 1.
4. Save the file.
5. Start the game, (re)set your graphic settings.
(optional) 6. Close the game and change the 1 back to 0 and save.
Note that if you can't find the part that says "Windowed", type it to the end of the list yourself. DON'T FORGET the ; at the end. You will get a new error if you don't place it there.
WHY: Because most likely your monitor/system is having problems trying to open the game with the default resolution. In the first solution you are going into the settings file and manually changing the resolution that the game launches in. Manually changing the game to launch in a window is a more fail-safe method of fixing the issue.
PROBLEM: Spawn as a crow/bird.
SOLUTION 1: Find another server.
SOLUTION 2: Download DayZ Commander to update your version of DayZ (or variation of) to the version the server you're trying to connect to is running on.
WHY: What you're experiencing is the Spectator Mode. It's a normal part of ARMA 2, but is caused by a server-side glitch in DayZ. Most likely because of an incorrect version.
PROBLEM: No servers showing up in the server browser.
SOLUTION 1: Reset your filters, make sure you have no ping limits, either.
SOLUTION 2: Make sure your anti-virus software isn't blocking the game. Either create an exception for the game(HIGHLY recommended.), or disable your firewall. Make sure to turn off your Windows firewall as well, but always turn them back on after you're done playing or when browsing the internet!
SOLUTION 3: Download DayZ Commander, WithSix, or any other third-party server browser. (Those two are recommended, however.)
WHY: Some anti-virus software, like Norton Anti-Virus, is known to block internet access from new software. This prevents your game from pinging servers to add them to your server browser. And for some people, pings tend to spike while the game is looking for servers, hence having a ping limit will hide most if not all servers.
PROBLEM: Really low FPS. (i7-processor)
SOLUTION: Disable Hyperthreading.[lmgtfy.com]
WHY: ARMA 2 does not (properly) support more than 4 cores. Hyperthreading drags the performance even lower.
PROBLEM: Missing Czech Republic DLC
SOLUTION: Jorgeluizjk apparently found a fix. (clicky)
WHY: The batch file is missing the ACR from its launch parameters. I also decided to add this solution here regardless of its irrelevance to DayZ because of how common of a problem it seems to be. This way I can easily link the solution to those who have the problem.
ERROR: "Instruction at X referenced memory at 0x000000XX. The memory could not be read."
SOLUTION 1: Go into .\Steam\Steamapps\Common\ARMA 2\DirectX\ and run DXSETUP.exe to install/update DirectX and its components.
SOLUTION 2: Go into .\Steam\Steamapps\Common\ARMA 2\BEsetup\ and run setup_BattlEyeARMA2.exe to install/update BattlEye and its components.
SOLUTION 3: Reboot your computer after completing the two above solutions. (Using DayZ Commander is advised.)
WHY: Because something is either corrupted or not up to date.
ERROR: "No Entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgMagazines.ItemNails'."
SOLUTION 1: Find a server that is running on version 1.8 of the official DayZ mod.
SOLUTION 2: Download DayZ Commander, and use it to download DayZ 184.108.40.206.
WHY: With the new patch 1.8 being out for DayZ, the Steam version of the DayZ mod has automatically been updated to it. You can ONLY join servers running on the SAME version as you, so if you are trying to join an outdated server while having 1.8 installed, you will get stuck in the authentication process and/or receive the file error.
I will keep this list updated as I see more problems come up, and will try to find a solution for them. If you have any problems, leave a comment and I'll try to help you through.Edit; DO NOT ADD ME.
And I generally don't suggest adding anyone to help you with your problem unless you're experienced with computers and software. There are people going around the discussion pages, offering help and trying to trick you to give them your CD-key, its hex value, or otherwise. If your key gets banned, assume that you cannot get it unbanned. Your key is your responsibility.