Dimmdrive :: Gaming Ramdrive @ 10,000+ MB/s

Dimmdrive :: Gaming Ramdrive @ 10,000+ MB/s

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
[DEV POST] Let's consolidate all bugs/issues/etc into this post HERE!
Hey all,

Firstly, I'm very excited and humbled that so many people have been interested in Dimmdrive! The massive amount of people using Dimmdrive on Steam has really put the program to the test, that's for sure!

I'd like to take some time to make a single post consolidating EVERY bug, feature request, and general issue into this post. I'll be making constant ninja edits to include all the comments from all of you guys below.

The goal - To make the next Dimmdrive update on Steam to be even better!

Let me start:

Consolidated List of Dimmdrive Bugs

Bug - Steam shows you as Playing Dimmdrive

FIXED!


Bug - Achievements Aren't Working

Description: When creating a Dimmdrive of a size within the Achievement window (eg, 31G for the 30G achievement) nothing happens. Response: There has been identified and will be fixed in the updated Dimmdrive asap


Bug - Issue Installing / Service Starting

FIXED!

Bug #

Description: Sorting mode is not obeyed when enabling/disabling dimmdrive for a game or application. Regardless of current sorting mode it gets placed at the top of the list when enabling. Response: I can see what you're seeing. I'll see about working this into a fix. Thanks!


Bug #

Description: Response:

Bug #

Description: Response:

Consolidated List of Dimmdrive Feature Requests

Resize Window

Description: Add the ability to resize the Dimmdrive window Response: This is a great idea and a lot of the coding is done. Just some polishing touches to add

Consolidated List of Dimmdrive Comments - Other

Comment - Documentation Could Be Better

Description: There isn't a really great source of information to get documentation on how to use Dimmdrive Response: I agree! The Dimmdrive sold on Dimmdrive.com automatically emails new users with a tutorial, links to videos, etc. Because Steam doesn't provide your email, I can't send you documentation on how to use the software. I am looking into expanding documentation into another easy format.

(This post is constantly going to be edited, so keep on checking it)

How you can help

If you see a bug or have a request or issue, please post in this thread so I can consolidate it into the post above!
Last edited by 🆂tartup🆃im; Apr 13, 2015 @ 8:32pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 153 comments
🆂tartup🆃im Jan 4, 2015 @ 7:31am 
[RESERVED]
🆂tartup🆃im Jan 4, 2015 @ 7:31am 
[RESERVED]
Xphome Jan 4, 2015 @ 9:15am 
Feature Request

The ability to re-size the Dimmdrive window. (at least vertically)
Final8ty Jan 4, 2015 @ 10:48am 
Dimmdrive loading at windows startup does not seem to be working with the steam version.
🆂tartup🆃im Jan 4, 2015 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by Xphome:
Feature Request

The ability to re-size the Dimmdrive window. (at least vertically)
Added :)
🆂tartup🆃im Jan 4, 2015 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by Final8ty:
Dimmdrive loading at windows startup does not seem to be working with the steam version.

Could you give me a step by step of what you're doing to have this issue? I'll test it!
Final8ty Jan 4, 2015 @ 1:33pm 

Originally posted by TimDimmDrive:
Originally posted by Final8ty:
Dimmdrive loading at windows startup does not seem to be working with the steam version.

Could you give me a step by step of what you're doing to have this issue? I'll test it!

I reboot the PC, steam starts up, but i have to execute dimmdrive manually.

EDIT: Well i booted my PC just now and dimmdrive started up like it should, but it will not automatically turn on.
Last edited by Final8ty; Jan 5, 2015 @ 12:44pm
Xphome Jan 4, 2015 @ 1:44pm 
Feature Request

Make Dimmdrive aware of already created symlinks.

I don't know if this is something you can do, but it would be really useful for me. Here is the situation: I have moved a lot of Steam games from drives to other drives and created symlinks on the origin drives. Dimmdrive sees these and think it's the where the game actually is (which is understandable).

I have 2 entries for CoD: AW in Dimmdrive, both point to "B:\\Steam\SteamApps..." which is where the symlink is. See image: http://i.imgur.com/Z0dCZIS.png

EDIT: Note: This is the stand-alone version.
Last edited by Xphome; Jan 4, 2015 @ 1:46pm
SuperSS Jan 4, 2015 @ 6:26pm 
Feature Request:

"Try before you Buy", but limit use to 10 Hrs or so.

This would help (as best as I can see in the Steam community) people who are giving this a negative review (in most cases except the steam currently playing issue) to not bother reviewing because their system doesn't have enough RAM to make this program worth it.

Just a suggestion.

SardukaR Jan 5, 2015 @ 1:40am 
Hi TimDimmDrive, is there any chance of getting the key from steam and rather use the software outside of steam? As i can not find anything under the properties. I am running some tests on this and i think that using it outside of steam might resolve a issue or two that i picked up. So to get the key download the software from your website and then use it? i also have some startup problems etc. but think that using it outside of steam might resolve this, Thanks.
NoNameNoAim Jan 5, 2015 @ 11:02am 
Issue: Sorting mode is not obeyed when enabling/disabling dimmdrive for a game or application. Regardless of current sorting mode it gets placed at the top of the list when enabling. For people with lots of games or lots of entries in the application tab this means excessive needless scrolling to further adjust settings every time you flip the switch on an application or clicking the sort mode again.

Feature request: Allow the adding and removal of games or apps without destroying and recreating the whole ramdisk. Very annoying for large drives with multiple pieces of software/game servers/games. I want to run a minecraft and 7 days to die server off of dimmdrive and if I want to play any other games on the side via dimmdrive that means kicking all logged on users off the servers, shutting them down, changing dimmdrive settings as desired and then restarting everything. Extremely disruptive to the playerbases.

Feature request: Allow native OS theming rather than the current custom skin. I understand the desire for a unique and clean appearance for the dimmdrive application with regards to user friendliness, but this can be achieved following MS application design guidelines. The current appearance breaks conventions and the application sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all over appplications running. As users move to other versions of windows or change their theming settings dimmdrive will continue to deviate from the overall aesthetics of the rest of the system.
Final8ty Jan 5, 2015 @ 11:54am 
Originally posted by NoNameNoAim:
Issue: Sorting mode is not obeyed when enabling/disabling dimmdrive for a game or application. Regardless of current sorting mode it gets placed at the top of the list when enabling. For people with lots of games or lots of entries in the application tab this means excessive needless scrolling to further adjust settings every time you flip the switch on an application or clicking the sort mode again.

Feature request: Allow the adding and removal of games or apps without destroying and recreating the whole ramdisk. Very annoying for large drives with multiple pieces of software/game servers/games. I want to run a minecraft and 7 days to die server off of dimmdrive and if I want to play any other games on the side via dimmdrive that means kicking all logged on users off the servers, shutting them down, changing dimmdrive settings as desired and then restarting everything. Extremely disruptive to the playerbases.

Feature request: Allow native OS theming rather than the current custom skin. I understand the desire for a unique and clean appearance for the dimmdrive application with regards to user friendliness, but this can be achieved following MS application design guidelines. The current appearance breaks conventions and the application sticks out like a sore thumb amidst all over appplications running. As users move to other versions of windows or change their theming settings dimmdrive will continue to deviate from the overall aesthetics of the rest of the system.

+1
ADV Jan 5, 2015 @ 2:52pm 
Bug.

First time start up Dimmdrive. Can't find any installed steam games. Asks me to reset Steam config. Done. Exit Steam. Restart PC. Start DimmDrive - Still doesn't find any steam games.

My Steam directory is G:/ drive and not C:/ drive. Could this have something to do with it?

Have about 20 steam games installed out of 1200+.

Win7.64bit + latest SP's
32gig Ram DDR3
i7-3820 Intel
SSD O/S
WD enterprise 1TB x3
WD raptor 300gig

Regards,
Adam

p.s going to add 1 steam game manually, that should work. Fingers crossed.

P.S Any chance you can remove STEAM DRM? that way it can run outside of steam, so we can use it for other apps like vmware etc.

P.ss with all the bad publicity (which i don't believe) would it be prudent to change dimmdrive to Early Access?
Last edited by ADV; Jan 5, 2015 @ 3:12pm
🆂tartup🆃im Jan 5, 2015 @ 3:04pm 
Okay I updated the top list.

The start/stop teardown is going to stay simply because this is how Windows work. You cannot change drive geometries on the fly in Windows. That being said, it could be tweaked to allow things in/out of same size drives.

As far as early access, not needed, Dimmdrive works tremendously well, but it always is getting new things added to it. That is why I love this project. Great feedback -> software updates!

The Steam part is likely to stay unless there is an issue with the "In-App Dimmdrive" requiring this to change.

ADV: Check out the logfile inside the Dimmdrive folder. See the error for your games being found?

THANKS ALL - LIST IS UPDATED!
ADV Jan 5, 2015 @ 3:13pm 
Bug.

DESCRIPTION

Firefox comes up with an error:

"Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." and wont start up.

STEPS:

1) Create shortcut to firefox.exe
2) Drag shortcut to Dimmdrive APP tab
3) Select firefox.exe dimmdrive item, click Gear, select "more ram", then OK.
4) Enable firefox.exe dimmdrive item slider
5) Click Settings Tab, Then Start drimmdrive service by clicking slider.
6) Double click firefox.exe shortcut, that points to firefox on Harddrive.
7) Encountered Error *see description*
8) END
< >
Showing 1-15 of 153 comments
Per page: 15 30 50