โพสต์: 22 พฤษภาคม
This game is very overrated. I therefor was pretty disappointed by it in the beginning. The things that annoyed me:
- Abysmal PC-port. Capped at 30 FPS with physic screw ups when unlocked, no mouse control in the menus. Keyboard and mouse control is flawed, I managed to bear with it since i don't have a controller, but you may not want to bother with it.
- There are levels missing sound files! There is a fix available on PC Gaming Wiki, but it still is incredibly annoying.
- Excessive amount of QTEs. This one probably bothers me the most, especially when you are forced to go through the same one over and over again. Having to look at the button prompts while there is a nice scene playing out is infuriating.
- Pretty bad tie in of game mechanics and story. Instead of having a cutscene where the apprentice gets taught force lighting by Vader (which would be interesting since Vader can't summon it) or discovers the skill by himself there just is a text popping up at the start of one level.
- The game starts of slowly. Literaly. While it is cool to be Vader in the first level, he moves like a slug. That leads to the level way overstaying its welcome and almost had me quit the game prematurely.
Now, why do I still recommend this game? Well, after getting a bit more comfortable with the game mechanics I had fun with this game:
- The combos and fighting in general. You really see where they put the focus when developing the game. My favourite thing probably is to charge up my lightsaber with force lightning. It looks amazing, feels amazing and also is effective.
- The level variety is phenomenal. From the surgical steel of an ISD to Sarlacc intestines you get to see a lot of one of the most interesting universes there is.
- The Story is nice. It really fleshes out Vaders character and his relationship with emperor Palpatin in a similar way Shadows of the Empire did. It is no longer "high canon" with Disneys new policy and may soon be overridden by the Rebels cartoon, but it still is worthwhile. It is not incredibly deep and sometimes not too believeable, but then again, has Star Wars ever been?
- The graphics were revolutionary when the game came out. As any game with photorealistc graphics they did suffer brutaly from age. What saves it is the quality of animation, it feels just on spot in so many situations. This ties in closely with the combos being so statisfying.
So in conclusion I would say get this game when it is on sale and if you have a controller. Do not expect a masterpiece that will blow you away. It is a nice Star Wars experience with pretty sweet combat.