Lovefrog Nov 13, 2013 @ 3:31pm
Difference?
What's different about this one from source?
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
FedeX+ Nov 13, 2013 @ 5:56pm 
This is the original day of defeat from 2004! The source is a remake of this game with better graphics and physics! Basically a huge update from the orginal day of defeat! But, I still prefer the original!
Lovefrog Nov 13, 2013 @ 6:41pm 
Originally posted by Fedex+:
This is the original day of defeat from 2004! The source is a remake of this game with better graphics and physics! Basically a huge update from the orginal day of defeat! But, I still prefer the original!
So just graphics updates?
Karan Nov 13, 2013 @ 11:53pm 
yes just graphics updates and a few weapons changes
Lovefrog Nov 14, 2013 @ 9:20am 
Originally posted by Gunner:
yes just graphics updates and a few weapons changes
Oh I saw some british forces and guys on aa guns so I wasn't sure if those were in DODS since I recently got it.
CommandereON Nov 16, 2013 @ 6:21am 
hl1 dod maps are designed with flanking and sneaking around in mind, source maps are pretty much straight forward fragging, no excitement with hide and seek, best part of dod original is the hide and seek part
Lovefrog Nov 16, 2013 @ 9:29am 
Oh so DODS maps are more like ww2 counter-strike designes?
FedeX+ Nov 16, 2013 @ 9:03pm 
Something like that, but it's more like run and gun in dods! Dod is like hide and seek, u don't hide! You're going to die!
Nuked Nov 22, 2013 @ 8:45pm 
The difference is DoD:S removed bayonettes ( secondary melee attacks with your primary weapon). This accounted for most of the fun you had in the orignal. Player models are also signifacntly larger so theres pretty much no point to lay down, this also was where most of the fun was in the original. The graphics are better WOO HOO!!!! No british or italian weapns. Very limited map selection. Little to no custom content.
CommandereON Nov 30, 2013 @ 6:51am 
Originally posted by The essential chicken :>:
Oh so DODS maps are more like ww2 counter-strike designes?


Yeeep nailed it
LINKMAN Dec 1, 2013 @ 6:07am 
DoD is in my opinion a far better game, although source does boast better graphics and some new cool weapons and seapon settings.

I guess the first place to start would be the classes.

In the original you had a vast arsenal to choose from to do your killing with. Allies had the Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson, Grease Gun, BAR, 30. Cal, Springfield, and Bazzoka. On a select few maps you played as the British, and the weapon set was replaced with the Enfield, Scoped Enfield, MKII, Bren, and PIAT. The Axis boasted a very nice weapons list. K98, Scoped k98, Gewher, MP40, MP44, MG34, MG42 and Panzershrk. It is also to be noted that germans had shovels instead of knives, the differance being the shovels kill in one hit as opposed to two. On select maps you play as German paratroopers who also have the beastly FG42, and scoped FG42. On these maps the Germans all have knives insted of shovels.

DoD:S threw all of that goodness away and bumped it down to Six. Allies have Garands (with new rifle grenades), Thompsons (with new smoke grenades), BARs (with new three round select fire setting, but eliminated bipod), Springfields, and 30. Cals, and Bazooka (with M1 Carbines with no ammo as secondary). Axis have K98s (with new rifle grenades), Scoped K98s, MP40s (with new smoke grenades), MP44s (with new three round burst select fire setting), MG42s, and Panzershreks (with new C36 Mauser autopistols with as secondary). No other weapons are available. It is also noteable that the rifle classes can now ironsight.

The original had a very vibrant custom content community as well as a a greater number of official maps. The community content was also alot larger with more custom maps and mods. Many maps from CS were retooled for DoD such as Dust, Dust2, and Aztec.

Lets just say that DoD:S left some things to be desired in the map department.

Originally posted by Commander eON:
hl1 dod maps are designed with flanking and sneaking around in mind, source maps are pretty much straight forward fragging, no excitement with hide and seek, best part of dod original is the hide and seek part
Agreed
Lovefrog Dec 1, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
Originally posted by LINKMAN:
DoD is in my opinion a far better game, although source does boast better graphics and some new cool weapons and seapon settings.

I guess the first place to start would be the classes.

In the original you had a vast arsenal to choose from to do your killing with. Allies had the Garand, M1 Carbine, Thompson, Grease Gun, BAR, 30. Cal, Springfield, and Bazzoka. On a select few maps you played as the British, and the weapon set was replaced with the Enfield, Scoped Enfield, MKII, Bren, and PIAT. The Axis boasted a very nice weapons list. K98, Scoped k98, Gewher, MP40, MP44, MG34, MG42 and Panzershrk. It is also to be noted that germans had shovels instead of knives, the differance being the shovels kill in one hit as opposed to two. On select maps you play as German paratroopers who also have the beastly FG42, and scoped FG42. On these maps the Germans all have knives insted of shovels.

DoD:S threw all of that goodness away and bumped it down to Six. Allies have Garands (with new rifle grenades), Thompsons (with new smoke grenades), BARs (with new three round select fire setting, but eliminated bipod), Springfields, and 30. Cals, and Bazooka (with M1 Carbines with no ammo as secondary). Axis have K98s (with new rifle grenades), Scoped K98s, MP40s (with new smoke grenades), MP44s (with new three round burst select fire setting), MG42s, and Panzershreks (with new C36 Mauser autopistols with as secondary). No other weapons are available. It is also noteable that the rifle classes can now ironsight.

The original had a very vibrant custom content community as well as a a greater number of official maps. The community content was also alot larger with more custom maps and mods. Many maps from CS were retooled for DoD such as Dust, Dust2, and Aztec.

Lets just say that DoD:S left some things to be desired in the map department.

Originally posted by Commander eON:
hl1 dod maps are designed with flanking and sneaking around in mind, source maps are pretty much straight forward fragging, no excitement with hide and seek, best part of dod original is the hide and seek part
Agreed
You just convinced me to buy a game from '04. I don't usualy buy old games which is sad becuase they are better but the interfaces... I cannot learn those.
n5 Dec 4, 2013 @ 11:41am 
Nice explinations guys, guess I'm sticking with the original one! I love the tension of sneaking about.
{FJ}Justice Dec 4, 2013 @ 6:05pm 
Originally posted by Fedex+:
This is the original day of defeat from 2004! The source is a remake of this game with better graphics and physics! Basically a huge update from the orginal day of defeat! But, I still prefer the original!

The first build of dod was in the year 2001, not 2004. At that time it was called dod1.0b for beta. I still have the very first build of dod and every build since then right up to the point it went to steam from dod 3.1, to dod1.0 for steam.

When the dod dev team said they were coming out with a new version of dayofdefeat, they first said it would be a direct port of dod1.3 on steam (I still have the announcements). After many thousands of dedicated dod fans bought the game, the dod dev team changed their minds and announced that it would not be a direct port of dod.1.3 on steam, but an entirerly different game. The typical bait & switch tactic had been deployed so that all of the hard core dod fans would buy the bronze and silver packs in order to get the new port of dod1.3. They soon found out that it had all been just a ploy to get people to buy the new game.

DOD1.3 for steam will always be the best FPS ever made period.
Last edited by {FJ}Justice; Dec 4, 2013 @ 6:10pm
Vilford III Feb 26 @ 12:38am 
I started playing this game in 2003. Fell in love with the teamplay and the community after all the help I got to learn and improve my game. I had great hopes for DoD:S but after playing it for a couple of weeks I wen't back to old DoD. Another player nailed it when he said "even if you play DoD and don't care about your team, you still contribute to the teamplay". I have never experienced that in any other game.
Bulldogs Mar 4 @ 1:30am 
DOD Source ruined the fun, taking off secondary melee attacks for one, the mechanics of weapons was poorly weighed and other things.

last night i played DOD (the original) there was more ppl playing it than DOD:S when i played.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50