First of all let me start by saying that I am vey sorry if you personally experience problems with our new game. We are doing what we can to fix these issues as fast as possible. Below I will try to summarize some tips and inform you about our plans for updates and patches based on the feedback from threads in this forum and the egosoft community.
The latest version of X Rebirth is 1.13. The next two updates 1.14 tomorrow November 18th which should fix a number of reported problems with crashes and 1.15 on Wednesday or Thursday should fix problems with trade ships that wait far too long to dock. ###### Tips to avoid crashes ######
- If the game does not start up at all anymore, try moving the settings file in your /documents/egosoft/X Rebirth/23609060/. Especially move the uidata.xml file and if this does not help also the two other xml files. (If this fixes your problem please email the broken xml files to email@example.com
- Make sure you are NOT running a 32bit OS.
- Make sure you ARE running on a proper 3D accelerator and not accidentally using your onboard GPU (e.g Intel HD4000).
- Make sure your harddrive on which X Rebirth is saving is not full (or almost full)
- Make sure you have at least 3GB of free available physical memory.
- Make sure you have latest drivers installed and default settings active.
- If you experience random crashes and you have a joystick connected try if unplugging the joystick fixes it. Please let us know the result --> firstname.lastname@example.org###### Performance tips ######
Performance problems on very high end PCs: We are working on a fix for problems especially affecting top end systems which seem to have unnecessarily low framerartes (often lower than much slower machines). Still there are a few things you can do to improve your framerate:
- Turn OFF VSYNC
both in the game as well as in your graphic card driver settings (if it is set to be enforced there). This is only a temporary fix for a sync issue which can slow the game down to a lower than necessary framerate and will also be addressed in the game itself later.
- If you suffer performance problems set the LOD and view distance to low values. The game should still look good but this helps a LOT. Consider turning OFF shadows, consider medium or low shaders if your GPU is the bottleneck (also see posting on performance)###### Other bugs we are investigating ######
- Stuck object on platform: We are sorry that this still happens sometimes and will fix it ASAP, but you should however always be able to simply use ENTER - 5 to get back to your ship.
- *UPDATED* We read reports of people who can not save: This is usually caused by running the game on 32bit OS. Note that running X Rebirth on a 32bit Windows version is not supported.
-Missing voice recordings: French and Russian voice recordings are coming up in december, a few more voice lines for German will be added by the end of this wee.
- Ship flying through station:
We apologize for this happening. We hoped to have reduced the chance of this happening significantly, but are investigating this.
- Can't buy shields during the plot: We were able to narrow down the cause for this and will fix it in an upcoming patch. ###### Further Tricks & Tips ######
- Trading: Some people report problems that trade ships do not work as expected. In most cases this is not a bug with the trade ship AI but the ship did not get the right order through the trade menu. As mentioned above, we definitely want to improve this menu further, but most importantly you have to make sure that when you add a trade order to a ship, you click on NEXT after selecting the order and assigning it to the ship selected at the top of the menu. Then you select the amount and confirm the order. After this you should see that an order was added to the ships order queue. One thing we want to improve is management of this queue and show it more clearly in trade ship info menus. --> Bugfix expected in 1.15
- There seems to be a bug with menus remaining open sometimes. If you end up with a non working menu, please see if changing the screen resolution or AA settings (ESC - settings - graphic settings) helps to make the menus work again. You can undo those changes after it works again. If this happens repeatedly please email information on how you reproduce this to email@example.com
- You can't save in certain situations (usually cutscenes and conversations) This is not a bug. Saving is disabled temporarily there.###### Feedback about feature requests: ######
- Map and other menu improvement: We have a number of menu and map improvements planned. This includes more control over the map like the zoom that was suggested here and changing the layout of some of the text menus. We are also considering showing the "minimap" on the eventmonitor whenever there is "no signal" at the moment. These are a lot of individual improvements some of which will happen soon.
- Autopilot / SETA: We will add some autopilot support. However it is our goal with X Rebirth that you do not need to run the game semi-automatically for extended periods of time. This is also he reason why we will not support SETA / SINZA time acceleration. There should never be a need to wait 20 minutes for your trade ships once you have multiple ships. You can queue orders and do many things in parallel. Time acceleration as a trick to accelerate trading will not be in X Rebirth.
- Facial animations: We will look into improving facial animations.
- External view / Ability to turn around in cockpit: This was asked for a few times. Yes we will look into this but it will be part of a larger update and take more time than just a few weeks. It will also be combined with support for looking around in the cockpit (e.g with a joystick POV hat) and maybe also support for Oculus Rift style VR. So please be aware that this feature will take some time to add.
- Targeting hotkeys: Another feature that was requested a couple of times. Yes we will do this. Based on your feedback that is for one of the earlier updates even though such "explicit" targets only work in the mouse / keyboard mode. Not with controllers!
- Talking to people on stations: We have a plan for an early patch (early december) which will make the conversations and finding NPCs for jobs a lot easier and more accessible. This has a high priority.
- Skipping conversations: We will look into this, but I can not promise that this is always possible.
- Joystick support: We are aware that joystick support (as opposed to gamepad) at this time is not perfect. We definitely will make this a priority for one of the next updates, but please allow a little time for this.