C-RUSH
C-RUSH > General Discussions > Topic Details
himmatsj Feb 17, 2014 @ 8:29am
If I am a newbie to bullet hell shooters, can I still like this?
I was born after the bullet hell fad, so yeah not played too many in my time :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
NemesisZidar Feb 17, 2014 @ 8:38am 
its looking very generic, i would recommend Syder Arcade instead. I dont know where all those Shmups are coming from, during the last months there was a whole bunch of them released and mostly remakes of older versions....its annoying at the moment. Syder Arcade instead inserted some fresh wind in gameplay and mechanics and also looks good.
Last edited by NemesisZidar; Feb 17, 2014 @ 8:52am
(°o°) Feb 17, 2014 @ 9:27am 
what does schmup mean?
schmup is a misspelled shmup which is short for "shoot 'em up"
ex. raiden, gradius, r-type in terms of classics of the genre

syder arcade is a decent intro as the other person mentioned, but any casual fan of the genre wont get much out of it, and any hardcore fan should straight up avoid

jamestown is also a decent intro that is pretty easy and welcoming for newcomers

i also agree with the impressions of this game: it does not look like it has a whole lot of innovation or anything interesting to offer beyond the generic, but it does happen to also be $2

also bullet hells are not easier or harder than shmups but merely different in the type of challenge they present

bullet hells are less common than shmups and exceed 2nd/3rd are good intros for that with chaos field expanded and hellsinker good choices for vets (heard good things about rayforce but never played it myself)
Last edited by FlamboyantMongoose; Feb 17, 2014 @ 9:33am
NemesisZidar Feb 17, 2014 @ 9:41am 
Originally posted by FlamboyantMongoose:
schmup is a misspelled shmup which is short for "shoot 'em up"
ex. raiden, gradius, r-type in terms of classics of the genre

syder arcade is a decent intro as the other person mentioned, but any casual fan of the genre wont get much out of it, and any hardcore fan should straight up avoid

jamestown is also a decent intro that is pretty easy and welcoming for newcomers

i also agree with the impressions of this game: it does not look like it has a whole lot of innovation or anything interesting to offer beyond the generic, but it does happen to also be $2

also bullet hells are not easier or harder than shmups but merely different in the type of challenge they present

bullet hells are less common than shmups and exceed 2nd/3rd are good intros for that with chaos field expanded and hellsinker good choices for vets (heard good things about rayforce but never played it myself)
agree to that, but have to mention, while im not a hardcore shmup player (i played many but im not a highscore hunter, nor someone that wants to get everything out of it, but i enjoy playing them if well made), i have to say that Syder Arcade delivers for people that are quite new to the genre or not very skilled aswell. I like it and again i recommend it. Additionally, if i saw that right, Ikaruga is upcoming on Steam. Maybe thats worth a look aswell for people.
himmatsj Feb 17, 2014 @ 9:57am 
Is Ikaruga a welcoming enough shmup? It's on top of my wishlist. 24 hours baby!
RX-0Banshee Feb 17, 2014 @ 10:31am 
Ikaruga, DEFINITELY!!! Also, TC: try out the Touhou series....
NemesisZidar Feb 17, 2014 @ 10:50am 
Originally posted by himmatsj:
Is Ikaruga a welcoming enough shmup? It's on top of my wishlist. 24 hours baby!
dont know if for newbies, but i know Ikaruga is one of the best and well knowed Shmups existing beside Gradius and R-Type. So i guess you can get something out of it.
FlamboyantMongoose Feb 17, 2014 @ 12:23pm 
yeah i tried ikaruga when i was inexperienced and it didnt go very well for me so also unsure if it is welcoming to newcomers, but its quality is indisputable

same goes for sine mora because some people have been telling me they thought it was difficult but others (including myself) breezed through on normal and had only a little trouble on hard and its quality is also quite high

then there is ether vapor remaster which i need like 50 lives to beat but is my absolute favorite shmup; definitely not a good intro but also great quality

all three on steam and collective "what the hell" at treasure needing to go through the greenlight process; valve obviously owes them an apology


anyway i think the question you need to ask yourself is if when you are defeated in a video game do you consider it the game's fault and give up or is it your fault and you need to improve
that will greatly determine your interest
Last edited by FlamboyantMongoose; Feb 17, 2014 @ 12:24pm
himmatsj Feb 17, 2014 @ 12:26pm 
Sine Mora is a shmup? I beat it on mobile. Playing with a touchscreen was difficult though.
Sam Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:07pm 
Originally posted by himmatsj:
Sine Mora is a shmup? I beat it on mobile. Playing with a touchscreen was difficult though.

Well Sine Mora is basically a traditional horizontal scrolling shmup (it's not a bullet hell). Shoot'em up games are often divided into sub-genres. Because they have rather different styles of gameplay.

Horizontal - R-Type, Gradius, Borderdown etc.. and yes Sine Mora too.

Vertical - Raiden, Psyvariar etc..

Bullet Hell - Espgaluda, Mushihime-sama, Dodonpachi etc..

In my opinion if you want to get introduced to the shmup genre, and see what it has to offer, then I would start with games well produced, and well recieved by "professional" players. You might as well start with something proper like Ikaruga (that is out soon on PC), and learn the hard way :)

This is my stance with all game genres. I mean if someone was to get introduced to for example fighting games, I wouldn't recommend them to start with "Drop Kick" just because it is easy to learn :P.
NemesisZidar Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:35pm 
I miss the game Raptor. The first Shmup i ever played. And awesome, even more when looking at the time when it was released. It already had a system of buying shipupgrades between levels, which is pretty unnormal for Shmups. To be honest, i dont know any Shmup with such a feature. Also the "Cutscenes" were great looking and fitting, the game had an awesome style and visuals. The soundtrack also was great. I miss that game, could never finish it though. But that was because i was about 6 years old and only had the demo.
Gordholm Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:41pm 
Originally posted by NemesisZidar:
I miss the game Raptor. The first Shmup i ever played. And awesome, even more when looking at the time when it was released. It already had a system of buying shipupgrades between levels, which is pretty unnormal for Shmups. To be honest, i dont know any Shmup with such a feature. Also the "Cutscenes" were great looking and fitting, the game had an awesome style and visuals. The soundtrack also was great. I miss that game, could never finish it though. But that was because i was about 6 years old and only had the demo.

Try "Humans must answer" this sounds like the game you are looking for :) Also Jets and guns is like what your Raptor game sounds like. Both are new releases on Steam from the last few weeks and i can highly recommend them.

Another really very nice shmup is Syder Arcade, but this is more classic - means you upgrade your ship be getting powerups from the enemys

yeah im going to grab humans must answer eventually and jets n guns gold just hit a bundle and i had my eye on that also

as for first shmup with a shop in between levels: tyrian?
Gordholm Feb 17, 2014 @ 2:07pm 
my first shmup with a shop between levels was Xenon 2 the Megablast on Amiga. :) But im quite not sure about all thos c64 games i played earlier :P
NiteNite Feb 17, 2014 @ 4:02pm 
Syder arcade i wanted to agree is a great shmup.

also another good gallery shooter that is way more of an adrenilin rush then i ever dreamed it would be.

is a game called Symphony, i really kinda bought on a fluke but it is a very impressive play to try to 100% levels (also a neat thing about the game it uses game music and even your own music to create the on-screen enemies)

oh and not my first but my favorite shmup is View Point on neo geo (loved my neo geo gold)

C-RUSH i have been looking at for a few now i am just gonna buy it and put it in the list 2 bucks is not bad i spose:)


Last edited by NiteNite; Feb 17, 2014 @ 4:36pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

C-RUSH > General Discussions > Topic Details