Posted: June 13, 2014
I would like to highly recommend this game, I used to play it years ago when it first came out. But I do not recommend the Steam version if you've played a lot of the old version. Unfortunately, since the game's re-release onto Steam, it is now impossible to get the old version.
Here are the changes I've been able to find.
* Removal of perks such as Pyrokinetic, Evil Eyes, Alternate Weapon, and radically altering Telekinetic.
* Removal of most options and customizability (but with a recent update you can now change some of the keyboard controls).
* Removal of perks from Quest mode unless you enter the "secret" code.
* Forced to pick a perk on every level up instead of ignoring them, and thus eliminating time bonuses gained by not using perks.
* Protected by Shield and enemies are pushed back on every level up.
* Removal of Tutorial.
* No customizable music.
* Radically redesigned HUD removes the level timer and experience counter, changes display for reloading from the clock to a much less visible image, moves health bar to be a brightly colored circle around your player character, moves ammo counter to cursor location, moves bonus power-up counters to the same circle around your character, removes bonus timers from several power-ups such as reflexes, makes weapon icon much larger, and makes progress bar much larger & moved to top of the screen.
* Removes typing shooter game.
* Adds a handful of new weapons, perks, and two more game modes.
* Adds ten additional Quest levels (I think? I don't remember how many levels the final version pre-Steam had).
All that said, I've still played this game quite a bit in spite of my complaints. So maybe what I want isn't so much to recommend it or not recommend it, but just to make fans of the classic version more aware of some of the changes.