The beta that has been going on for a couple of weeks now has finally come to an end and the final build is now live!
We would like to thank everyone that participated, gave us feedback and helped test out the changes. We have made some smaller additional changes since the last live build in the beta including 7 new achievements to keep you busy for a while (I would hope for a week at least, but I know some of you are pretty quick with this stuff, so maybe that is hoping for too much!).
The changes in general are pretty large and can greatly impact the feeling of the game for beginners, but we have made sure to keep the play style of top level play as intact as possible and to not break any high scores with any of the changes. If you have any feedback on the changes or missed out on the beta, please feel free to tell us what you think in the comment section or in the discussion forums!
Here is a list of the changes included in this patch. Remember to verifying the integrity of your local content before playing to ensure you have the latest version of the game.
Version 1.2 (Build: 368869)
- Changes to enemies to make them easier to read and understand while keeping true to their original intent:
- Strike Turrets no longer shield themselves when they are about to die in combat, and can be killed straight up. However, they do defend themselves if you attack them when they can’t see you.
- Strike turrets heal themselves much quicker if forced into shielded mode.
- Arachtoids have become easier to read and give more time to react to its different actions, but have also received smarter path finding and are capable of healing themselves when unable to fight back.
- The time it takes for an Arachtoid to shield itself when it’s attacked but can’t fight back is now constant and a little longer than before.
- Arachtoids’ walking animations and animation feedback when about to wake up has been improved.
- Drop mines can now damage enemies and get pushed by explosions.
- Drone Hives is now killable. They can only be killed while they intend to attack you or any of its drones are still alive. (Now is your time for some sweet revenge!)
- Drone Hives now have animations and effects when spawning drones making them easier to understand and spot from a distance when they engage you.
- Hunters will now only keep their shield up for a limited time, and if you are skilled you can even take them out before the time is out.
- Hunters and drones will now try to predict where you are moving to and attempt to intercept you. This is to make them a little more challenging for experienced players, and they be easier if you take a slower approach and try to duke them.
- Lobber explosions now behave like one would expect and can damage you even if you hide behind minimal covers.
- You are now unable to kill lobbers. It was possible before but had no feedback and added no value as no challenges were ever built with it in mind.
- Guardians are now more affected by explosions and bullet impacts when they are dead meaning you can push them around more easily.
- Improved player controls and interactions:
- Wall running has been improved to give you more control over speed and direction, while also enabling you to transition between different wall running states. You will still benefit from knowing how to use your momentum, but wall interactions are less punishing, as it’s easier to recover from small mistakes. (You can tweak the wall running behavior through the options menu and turn the transitions off if you prefer how things handled before).
- Air control has been changed to feel more consistent and to easier make good air jumps.
- Throwback state has been changed to take slippery surfaces into account and can be canceled by an air jump a little earlier.
- Player now reacts more reasonably to spikes.
- Wall slide state now behaves like a wall run for the first 0.5 sec to ensure that all wall run interactions behave consistently right as you land on the wall and have yet to have time to react to what state you entered. This will ensure much fewer accidents when doing quick wall jumps and drops.
- When intending to climb up a wall the camera’s forward direction is now taken into account in some situations to better read the intended action.
- The deployment of checkpoints is now more intuitive and to cancel the deployment you need a more explicit action instead of just moving, making mistakes less likely.
- A death camera has now been added that follow the player for a short moment after death.
- The weapon has been improved to be able to disable homing if you aim straight at a target that is immune to homing, which makes it easier to target specific enemies in a group.
- Fixed a bug where bullets clipped through walls if you stood too close to them and tried to shoot directly into them.
- Added real raw mouse input.
- Added gameplay options to customize the experience more.
- Added info text for some of the alternatives in the options menu.
- Optimized the rendering and batching systems of the engine. Giving some levels up towards 3 times the render performance on our testing hardware.
- Added 7 new and a little different/unusual achievements.
There has been a lot of tweaks as you can see and we apologize if we have missed anything here, but this list should most changes and all major changes are here noted.
Hope you enjoy it!
The Coilworks/RSG Team