Posted: April 13
I purchased this game on Kickstarter having grown up with the original series. After also watching the first series (30 years later) my 4 year old son was super keen to dive straight into this game. He loved it and probably would give it like a billion stars. Here is my slightly more objective review as played through with a 4yr old.Pros
- A fun game for kids. Starts out quite easy but gets much harder at the end. Nothing a gaming experienced adult could not do fairly easily. The thinking puzzles are probably harder than the timing/movement ones as the former could not all be done without my help.
- A great game for teaching kids mouse control. To begin my son could hardly use a mouse, by the end he was dodging pirates as well as I could (despite the hit area problems, see below)
- The story was decent despite not having seen the second series of the show. Cut scenes were good.
- The hit area on many of the buttons and triggers (PC/Steam version) was really poor. Still playable but the arrow often had to target the ground below the button rather than the button itself. This is clearly an issue of the touch device/console port which does not cater for much finer mouse precision.
- The puzzles are fairly repetitive basic game mechanics (click this button to open this door to grab this key, etc..) and are not realistic to the storyline in any way, just there to make the game playable.
- In the final cut scene the ghost of MU says "none the less there is something else you must know..." GAME CREDITS!... what what!? I guess I will have to watch the show :(
Overall good game for kids but probably not for adults even if they are die hard fans off the show.