Posted: April 17, 2014
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!
There. I hope anyone scrolling through will realise that buying this game is a bad idea, let me explain why...
First off, the game seems to have a nice charm to it. I got it in a humble bundle (April 2014) and got some suprisingly bad games with it, although some were ok. It reminded me of games I used to play when I was a child with its slightly poor graphics and mediocre AI, so starting off was a nice experience. The feeling was stripped from underneath me though however when the quests started. The quests don't tell you enough on how to get round and where to go, I ended up lost and confused. A lot of the time I would go into a place that was way too high of a level for a starting character, so in my genius, I googled what I had to do. But what came up shocked me. As I said previously, I bought this game on humble bundle so didn't buy this game individually or sit through the most arrogant of trailers. Because it turns out this game is a mobile port. Things began to make sense; This explained everything. I thought about reviewing this game for what it was before realising that it was not a mobile game: It was a steam game, so I shall review it as a steam game.
The second thing that decided to creep out from its bug infested rock was the head bobbing. When holding nothing in your hand, to to auto holstering after time or unequiping the actual weapon, there is absolutely no head bobbing. However when you get a weapon out your head decided to go crazy, as if the character is headbanging with a anvil cellotaped to his head. When you draw an arrow the crosshair moves around steadily but still weirdly enough for it to be off putting. None of this is the case though on horseback. You can run about as you please without any bobbing and have perfect aim. Not a great start.
This paragraph will be kindly donated to all the bugs I found after 2 hours of playtime, let's see, shall we?
1. The title screen will sometimes not load any buttons
2. Arrows will sometimes stick to the bow and decide never to fire
3. Axes and swords will stick sideways in the hand
4. Arrows will clip through objects
5. The sky will sometimes go completely black
6. With a shiled equiped, It sometimes doesn't want to appear/ be usable
7. Sometimes sounds will forget to play when using weapons
8. Sometimes animations forget to play
9. Sometimes runes don't do anything
10. Some small obsticles cannot be jumped over although in third person it shows them going higher
11. Some obsticles can be walked though completely (Trees, big rocks etc.)
12. The shadow only shows the arms and weapons
13. The loading screen plays bow sound effects
14. With a bow equiped, after a loading screen your bow appears to be drawn but isn't
15. Enemies can get stuck on small objects until you look away from them
Not sure if these are bugs...
1. Blunderbuss will have a fiery sound effect whilst reloading
2. Blunderbuss also creates a fireball whilst reloading
3. NPCs will only speak their first line of dialogue and use text for the rest
4. The axes hit range is crazily high
5. The character cannot move for around a second after they are hit whereas the enemies can
6. When swimming, third person shows your head below water, first person shows it above
7. The fire rune has shown no difference to using nothing to me
8. The head bobbing I spoke about earlier
9. ALL THE FLAGS WAVE IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS
10. Some chimneys have fire coming out of the top
11. Teleporting to a place on the map will sometimes take you to the other side of the place that you clicked
12. The only way of a horse is to change the camera view and then the horse disappears
The game seems to be copying greatly of Skyrim and I want to judge it against that because Skyrim basically owns this market anyway. I will some up everything about. Graphically it is okay and i am sure it could benefit from a HD graphics mod but I am still okay with the graphics. The sound, despite buggy, was quite nice. Grinding for XP and money was way to easy but levels didn't make enemies any easier to fight. After 15 minutes I had the highest level armour I could find (Despite the trailer showing better) and also the best bow and axe I could find, but my newly aquired levels didn't change much.
Overall I am going to give this game 3.5/10 as It really didn't uphold any of my interest for long enough to see it get any better. I got this game and others for 60p but it is shocking a mobile port would ask for £12.