Posted: December 11, 2013
This review was done with the Founder Pack version.
Pretty fun game from what I've played so far. It's a tower defense dungeon crawler/RPG. For the stage the game is at the moment I think it's very polished and the artwork is fantastic. The game generates random dungeons so there is a lot of replayabilty. Another thing that I thought that was neat was DOTE follows the lore of Endless Space (Another fantastic game, especially if you like a more simplistic Civ game in space). Which I think is a nice touch.
I'd highly recommend this game if you like FTL (Faster than Light). Pretty similar gameplay but in a dungeon and you have to protect your Crystal reactor. Which you use to power up rooms with open slots for upgrades for industry,agriculture and science. Dust much like Endless Space is the currency but also doubles as a fuel source in this game. Which you would use to power up the rooms or to buy items from the merchant. Also you can level up your heros with agricuture, instead of experience like Endless Space. I think it would have been cool to get Xp from slaying mobs but it is still early access so the developers may change that (The developer is very active with the community and takes feedback. They also have votes for changes in the game via their forums that you got from buying the game).
I'm going to play this game a lot more and would recommend it but to someone who hasn't played Endless Space (They use a lot of of the resources, tech trees and lore, that Endless Space uses.) or doesn't likes tower defense games. You should probably wait until it's on sale or when it's out of early access (As of right now there is only 3 levels).
Founder Pack version notes:
This part of the review will go over the Founder pack extras that are included in-game and cross game. I'll add in the other in-game items and extras once they are released (Or if I even remember to :D). The to be released items and extras are the Ship Pack: The Library, the Hero: Josh 'Ntello, the Official soundtrack and Vaulterskins for Endless Legends (Game will be out next 2014).
At the moment you get 50% off for Endless Space and the expansion pack (This is an awesome game, a more simplicated Civ game in space with tons of lore), 2 community badges on the Amplitude forums (So you can feel special over people with no badges, just kidding) and The Vaulter faction for Endless Space. The Vaulter faction for Endless Space is a bit disapointing for me at least.
I had a chance to play today and they do have nice stats and nice abilites but the ships were disapointing and also that there was no introduction video for their faction, like other factions have. They're really similar to the United Empire ships. Unlike the the Piligrims ships where you can see the differences in ship design there is little to none with the Vaulters. They just seem to be reskined United Empire ships like with the Sheredyn faction. Where as it's understandable with Sheredyn faction sense they're still close to the United Empire and were the Emperors personal guards. But other then that, as of now the Founder pack was worth it (My opinion). Hopefully they will redesign the ships and add a introduction video in a future update.
Founder Pack and can be a hit and miss for some and would recommend that you buy the Pixel pack instead, if you're unsure. Amplitude have been known to have an option to upgrade for Endless Space so it's possible that you will be able to upgrade later but at the same time it's a "Founder pack" it may be limited time only.
Update: Now that the game has officially been released, a couple of things have changed. See below.
- Currency is now randomized (FIDS) and is not just Dust. FIDS is Food, Industry, Dust and Food.
- Science is now used to update modules and you research via Endless Artefact.
- Updated the intro movie, main menu and some parts of the Hero UI. (I like it)
- Soundtrack has been updated.
- You can now save items in a backpack now, that are not in your heros inventory for the next level. (I was waiting so long for this)
- Ships can be unlocked now, by completing certain conidtions in a successful playthough.
- Heros can be unlocked now, by meeting them in a playthrough and meeting certain conditions.
- Monuments also have been added which give random buffs or debuff for a random duration.
- And a multiplayer mode has been added but have yet to try it.
- You have to click exit to move to the next level.
- Loading screen to next level has been changed.
- 13 levels to complete a playthough. Unlimited levels, if you use the Drill ship. (Unlockable)
- Steam cards and Steam achievements have also been added with DOTE's release.
My thoughts; game is amazing now that it has released and awesome updates to the DOTE. Updates will probably be continued just like it's sister games ot the Endless Universe.