Monst-E-r Jan 30 @ 7:01pm
Common issues with Battlefield 2: How to fix them
How to make Punkbuster stop kicking you
=================

Note: I was giving someone personal service, and as it turns out, his Punkbuster wasn't even INSTALLED. So, before reading this guide, make sure that your PB is installed.
Install it here: E:\Program Files\SteamApps\common\Battlefield 2\PunkBuster\pbsvc

Fix 1. Disable your Steam Community.
Punkbuster doesn't seem to notice that Steam is not a hacking software, unfortunately disabling this feature will forfeit your ability to talk to your friends in-game (aka shift+tab)
1. Right click on Battlefield 2
2. Goto properties
3. Goto the first tab on the page that pops-up.
4. Uncheck "Enable Steam communtiy in-game."

Test out your multiplayer.

Still not working? You may wanna update your Punkbuster.

1. http://evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php - goto the NOTICE (first thing you read on the page) and click on the PBSetup.
2. It should open up a user-license window, just click on "agree," noone reads that stuff,
right? :D
3. Goto "Add a Game."
4. Click on Battlefield 2.
5. It should open a window that says it's updating, if not, then click on the "update

Punkbuster."

NOW try your multiplayer.

STILL not working? *sigh* You may wanna check your firewalls. (NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE

FOR NORTON USERS, I ASSUME THAT IT'S NOT ANY DIFFERENT FOR ANY OTHER ANTIVIRUSES ONCE YOU REACH

THE FIREWALL PAGE.)

1. Goto "Security" and then goto "Manage firewall."
2. Goto your "Program Rules" (For non-Norton users, just keep clicking on tabs until you find a page with programs on it.)
3. Scroll down to "pbsvc" and if your anti-virus says that it doesn't allow the program to
allow communication through the firewall, then allow it. KEEP IN MIND: if there are any other
punkbuster programs that don't have access through your firewall, then allow them access.

=================
How to fix your CD key - There is a guide in the guides, but it requires you to install a placebo program. Follow these steps if that guide doesn't work.
=================

Before I begin, let me say right now that if these steps do not work, EA has a personal

customer service system; contact them and see if they can give you a new CD key. ONLY EA CAN

GIVE YOU A NEW CD KEY! STEAM SUPPORT CAN NOT GIVE YOU ONE!

1. Sometimes the CD key is invalid when you have different addons conflicting eachother. So, I recommend reinstalling Battlefield 2.

2. Use Battlefield 2_code.exe in Progam Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\Support to re-enter your cd key, then install patch 1.41 and 1.50 if this is still possible since 1.50 was released.


NOTE: THIS STEP WILL REQUIRE YOU TO MODIFY YOUR REGISTRY! IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY MAKE A MISTAKE, THERE IS A WAYTO FIX IT.
- Reboot, press F8, then with your arrow keys, navigate to "Retore last good point in Windows."

3. Open the registry, go to where the registry key is and modify, enter the key after X9392
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc "or for 64bit Windows "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node\ Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc"


Comment down below if you have any other issues that you need help with or if your problems still persist.
Last edited by Monst-E-r; Jan 30 @ 7:04pm
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Jav Feb 9 @ 6:52pm 
When I try to open it the game blackscreens, flashes the desktop then closes and goes back to my desktop. Ive heard rumors that this only happend to people who bought it on the holiday sale but Im not sure. Someone please help!!!
Monst-E-r Feb 9 @ 7:01pm 
Originally posted by Javilenier:
When I try to open it the game blackscreens, flashes the desktop then closes and goes back to my desktop. Ive heard rumors that this only happend to people who bought it on the holiday sale but Im not sure. Someone please help!!!
Documents > Profiles > Default > Video > Change resolution down to 800x600
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 1:42pm 
Originally posted by Monst-E-r:
Originally posted by Javilenier:
When I try to open it the game blackscreens, flashes the desktop then closes and goes back to my desktop. Ive heard rumors that this only happend to people who bought it on the holiday sale but Im not sure. Someone please help!!!
Documents > Profiles > Default > Video > Change resolution down to 800x600

When I enter the "Default" folder, I recieve the following files: "Audio.con" "Profile.con" "Serversettings.con" and finally "Video.con". I don't know how to open CON files, would you be able to elaborate how to do that? I've been having the same problem ever since I bought the game, and I'm about to ask Steam for some sort of refund.
Monst-E-r Feb 11 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by DExMatt:
Originally posted by Monst-E-r:
Documents > Profiles > Default > Video > Change resolution down to 800x600

When I enter the "Default" folder, I recieve the following files: "Audio.con" "Profile.con" "Serversettings.con" and finally "Video.con". I don't know how to open CON files, would you be able to elaborate how to do that? I've been having the same problem ever since I bought the game, and I'm about to ask Steam for some sort of refund.
Use Notepad.
Then find a line has your resolution on it, and change it to 800x600
Last edited by Monst-E-r; Feb 11 @ 1:44pm
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 1:45pm 
How though? I right click and I do not have the option to "Open With"
Monst-E-r Feb 11 @ 1:49pm 
Originally posted by DExMatt:
How though? I right click and I do not have the option to "Open With"
Right click on the folder, then a menu should have opened up. Then look for "Open with" and there is your list of programs.
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 1:57pm 
It isn't there, here are the options I recieve when I right-click on the Video.con folder.
"Open"
"Scan"
"Shred"
"Share With"
"Add to Archive (Win Rar)"
"Add to Video.rar (Win Rar)"
"Compress and Email"
"Compress to Video.rar and Email"
"Shredder"
"Restore Previous Versions"
"Send To"
"Cut"
"Copy"
"Create Shortcut"
"Delete"
"Rename"
"Properties"

Sorry that this is bothersome, but I can't figure out this game's problem.
Monst-E-r Feb 11 @ 2:23pm 
Originally posted by DExMatt:
It isn't there, here are the options I recieve when I right-click on the Video.con folder.
"Open"
"Scan"
"Shred"
"Share With"
"Add to Archive (Win Rar)"
"Add to Video.rar (Win Rar)"
"Compress and Email"
"Compress to Video.rar and Email"
"Shredder"
"Restore Previous Versions"
"Send To"
"Cut"
"Copy"
"Create Shortcut"
"Delete"
"Rename"
"Properties"

Sorry that this is bothersome, but I can't figure out this game's problem.
Click on open.
See if a list of programs show up then.
if not, reinstall your OS.
Last edited by Monst-E-r; Feb 11 @ 2:23pm
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 2:24pm 
When I do that, it brings me to the error screen where it wants me to search the web for an answer as to why my computer cannot open that type of file. I think I'm just screwed and cannot play it.
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 2:28pm 
Actually nevermind! I found an alternate route!
I can now change the the resolution
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 2:30pm 
Okay so the resolution is already at 800x600@60Hz is there something wrong since I made absolutely no changes?
Monst-E-r Feb 11 @ 2:31pm 
Well, tell me what is going on when you try to launch the game first.
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 2:34pm 
After the intoduction cutscene, I get to the profile screen (Main Menu), and it randomly crashes from there, I can't make a Multiplayer profile, only an offline one because the game will only stay on for a few seconds before crashing to the desktop.
Monst-E-r Feb 11 @ 2:35pm 
Originally posted by DExMatt:
After the intoduction cutscene, I get to the profile screen (Main Menu), and it randomly crashes from there, I can't make a Multiplayer profile, only an offline one because the game will only stay on for a few seconds before crashing to the desktop.
Verify game cache
DExMatt (Rocky) Feb 11 @ 2:35pm 
Already tried that
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30 @ 7:01pm
Posts: 19