How to make Punkbuster stop kicking you
Note: I was giving someone personal service, and as it turns out, his Punkbuster wasn't even INSTALLED. So, before reading this guide, make sure that your PB is installed.
Install it here: E:\Program Files\SteamApps\common\Battlefield 2\PunkBuster\pbsvc
Fix 1. Disable your Steam Community.
Punkbuster doesn't seem to notice that Steam is not a hacking software, unfortunately disabling this feature will forfeit your ability to talk to your friends in-game (aka shift+tab)
1. Right click on Battlefield 2
2. Goto properties
3. Goto the first tab on the page that pops-up.
4. Uncheck "Enable Steam communtiy in-game."
Test out your multiplayer.
Still not working? You may wanna update your Punkbuster.
- goto the NOTICE (first thing you read on the page) and click on the PBSetup.
2. It should open up a user-license window, just click on "agree," noone reads that stuff,
3. Goto "Add a Game."
4. Click on Battlefield 2.
5. It should open a window that says it's updating, if not, then click on the "update
NOW try your multiplayer.
STILL not working? *sigh* You may wanna check your firewalls. (NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE
FOR NORTON USERS, I ASSUME THAT IT'S NOT ANY DIFFERENT FOR ANY OTHER ANTIVIRUSES ONCE YOU REACH
THE FIREWALL PAGE.)
1. Goto "Security" and then goto "Manage firewall."
2. Goto your "Program Rules" (For non-Norton users, just keep clicking on tabs until you find a page with programs on it.)
3. Scroll down to "pbsvc" and if your anti-virus says that it doesn't allow the program to
allow communication through the firewall, then allow it. KEEP IN MIND: if there are any other
punkbuster programs that don't have access through your firewall, then allow them access.
How to fix your CD key - There is a guide in the guides, but it requires you to install a placebo program. Follow these steps if that guide doesn't work.
Before I begin, let me say right now that if these steps do not work, EA has a personal
customer service system; contact them and see if they can give you a new CD key. ONLY EA CAN
GIVE YOU A NEW CD KEY! STEAM SUPPORT CAN NOT GIVE YOU ONE!
1. Sometimes the CD key is invalid when you have different addons conflicting eachother. So, I recommend reinstalling Battlefield 2.
2. Use Battlefield 2_code.exe in Progam Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\Support to re-enter your cd key, then install patch 1.41 and 1.50 if this is still possible since 1.50 was released.
NOTE: THIS STEP WILL REQUIRE YOU TO MODIFY YOUR REGISTRY! IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY MAKE A MISTAKE, THERE IS A WAYTO FIX IT.
- Reboot, press F8, then with your arrow keys, navigate to "Retore last good point in Windows."
3. Open the registry, go to where the registry key is and modify, enter the key after X9392
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc "or for 64bit Windows "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node\ Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2\ergc"
Comment down below if you have any other issues that you need help with or if your problems still persist.