Volgarr the Viking
2 hours in, haven't past the first level yet...
I've beaten hard games before, games who's core mechanics are centred on being tough, challenging and rewarding, games like dark souls, demons souls, castlevania, mega man ect, yet with this game my enjoyment slowly diminshes with each death. Its not the fact im rushing it, but i swear certain mechanics feel sluggish or slightly unresponsive(controller). Jumping is a chore. having to position your body at pixel accuracy near the edge to make a jump, or how turning the characters body to face incoming projectiles feels like it works half the time. It could be an issue on my end, but going through the level nearly two hours in over again is killing it for me....
< >
Showing 1-15 of 97 comments
Chrisader May 4, 2015 @ 4:03pm 
I think the problem is with this game,
It takes different mechanics from different games,
Mashes them all up without knowing what made them work in the first place.

Here's a bit of ghosts n ghouls controls and health system.
Here's a bit of castlevania level design and platforming obstacles.
Here's a bit of golden axe combat and art style.
And so on and so forth.

Bet you, It won't be long before we hear the usual trolling wa*ker.
Telling you too git gud.
And then find out they have never played it

Ranting aside. The game is good, But flawed.
(Even though some people would have you believe it's not)
Amora May 4, 2015 @ 4:04pm 
Through all the levels on the game, there isn't a single pixel perfect jump. There are jumps that need to be connected to work, like jump straight and double jump forward, or jump backwards and then forward (there is one of these on the first level, near a bee). And the body turning is precise when you're not performing an action (like attacking or throwing a spear).

The first two levels really make you understand the game mechanics. If you are able to beat them, you'll see that the game doesn't scale highly on difficult afterwards.

Use the spears as platforms and learn the enemies patterns (like crouch when attacking lizard men, double jump spiders or observe the trajectory of the acid spitter flower).

The game is all about learning patterns, once you understand it patterns, it becomes *easy.

Don't give up. It's a great game.

* not normal easy, VIKING EASY, that is near impossible for mere mortals. Lets praise the Gods of Valhala!
Last edited by Amora; May 4, 2015 @ 4:05pm
Chrisader May 4, 2015 @ 4:15pm 
Just make sure you have the patience of a monk.
Or drunk out of your mind.
And STAY AWAY FROM YOUR EXPENSIVE COMPUTER.
That would be a costly mistake:)
K4 May 4, 2015 @ 5:08pm 
You still havent got used to the game mechanics. Once you do that, its just a matter of getting experience, learn from your mistakes and move on.

By the way theres a button that lets you zoom out and see more of the area ahead. This will let you plan beforehand how to move forward.
kaay May 4, 2015 @ 5:10pm 
Only played the first level and i noticed you have to constantly advance, never stop, always try to advance as quick as possible.
Get a good feel of the controls, double jump, roll and spear throwing, the rest is just some pattern learning and patience. The game only gets out of hand if you linger or move back, always try to advance and dont look back.
Its rare that you really need to block, easier to jump over projectiles.
I only played the first level so i cant talk about the whole game, but i never felt like jumping needed pixel perfect positioning, do you double jump a lot? I think you should, oh and throw spears ahead, you will land on them making long jumps easy.
For me the problem with this game is not the difficulty itself but the fast relentless pacing.
Chrisader May 4, 2015 @ 5:38pm 
The game gets easier after the first level.
And more laid back as well, Oddly enough?
K4 May 4, 2015 @ 10:43pm 
Originally posted by kaay:
Only played the first level and i noticed you have to constantly advance, never stop, always try to advance as quick as possible.
Get a good feel of the controls, double jump, roll and spear throwing, the rest is just some pattern learning and patience. The game only gets out of hand if you linger or move back, always try to advance and dont look back.
Its rare that you really need to block, easier to jump over projectiles.
I only played the first level so i cant talk about the whole game, but i never felt like jumping needed pixel perfect positioning, do you double jump a lot? I think you should, oh and throw spears ahead, you will land on them making long jumps easy.
For me the problem with this game is not the difficulty itself but the fast relentless pacing.

There are a few areas where enemies keep spawning forever. The very first area is one of them. Just move past them and then you can move at your own pace. Enemies dont respawn out of these areas.
I was expecting to get ripped a new ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but got words of encouragment, lol. I do see what the game is going for and Its probably me who has to try this game again but later on.
Chrisader May 5, 2015 @ 9:08am 
Originally posted by Nuclearpoweredturtle:
I was expecting to get ripped a new ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but got words of encouragment, lol. I do see what the game is going for and Its probably me who has to try this game again but later on.
Heh:) Don't worry about, We are all friendly on here, Unlike your average rouge game,
And dark souls forum. (Git gud, Git gud, UUUUUGGGGGHHH.)
Last edited by Chrisader; May 5, 2015 @ 9:08am
Tarengar May 5, 2015 @ 12:23pm 
lol took it me a long time to get past the first level and a quick tip is try get the flaming sword for the first boss,now im having trouble with the second level just past the second check point it is seriously getting on my nerves.i think there is nothing wrong with this game and they should release a DLC also as adding in a feature so you get your lost powerups back at a checkpoint.
Well I've beaten the first level finally, and now adjusted to its mechanics, one thing i can say is that even though im getting my ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ served on a platter by those mermen, Im finding myself saying "one more time", which many games dont invoke that for me.
horheristo May 6, 2015 @ 9:49am 
You should play more indie titles.
Judging solely by your steam profile, I wouldn't put almost any big name titles as "hard" games.

Only indie devs take the initiative to bring forth real challenging and unforgiving games.
MDXX May 6, 2015 @ 1:03pm 
Still not as hard as "Rastan Saga" which this game is so based upon, espcially the level design.
Chrisader May 6, 2015 @ 1:16pm 
Originally posted by horheristo:
You should play more indie titles.
Judging solely by your steam profile, I wouldn't put almost any big name titles as "hard" games.

Only indie devs take the initiative to bring forth real challenging and unforgiving games.
With the exception of the souls games.
Of course:)

I don't find them hard,
But at least they try, And they really good survival horror games.
Especially Bloodborne.
horheristo May 6, 2015 @ 1:17pm 
Agreed.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 97 comments
Per page: 15 30 50