V120 - "Christmas truce" - December 19
The Great War had already been raging for four gruesome months, many lives were lost and it already proved to be a bloody war for both sides. Despite all the horrible fighting something surprising occurred on the front for Christmas in 1914. Both sides set aside their weapons to celebrate Christmas together. Soldiers exchanged gifts, had christmas dinners, sang Christmas carols and even organized soccer matches. To honor this remarkable event we implemented an actual in-game Christmas Truce. Inbetween the fiery Frontline matches players will enter the friendly Christmas themed map where they can exchange seasonal greetings, throw snowballs or perhaps engage in a soccer match, all in the spirit of the Christmas Truce.
- Christmas truce snow map added
- Christmas truce game mechanics added
- Snowball added as a weapon, freezes players when hit. (You can level up the snowball)
- Christmas NPC characters added, they heating up next to the campfire, dancing together.
I hope you guys appreciate this little feature we added, major works will resume after my personal truce (been working almost uninterrupted for about a year, ill be spending a few weeks overseas) from early January our focus will be:
- Performance optimizations (possibly leading to 32 player games)
- Network stability (fixing DC's, lag issues, enabling Asian/AUS server)
- Character animations (all of it)
- Gameplay tweaks (updating frontline attack mechanic, fixing spawns)
- Adding the "Flanders" map (a big map set in the muddy, rainy and grim Ypres salient (known for places such as passchendale, hooge etc.))
- Adding the Canadian Assault squad
- Adding the Stosstruppen squad
- Adding the Lee enfield rifle
- Adding the Mp18 submachine gun
- Adding active gas warfare abilities to the canadian assault squad and the stostruppen
- Adding voice communication
- Adding character voices / Commands
- A complete GUI overhaul (much smoother, current is more like a placeholder)
- Giving the current maps one additional FX pass
- Fixing misc. bugs
A merry Christmas and a good 2014 for all!
- Verdun Team