Verdun
Verdun > General Discussions > Topic Details
start off flat?
I wonder what the game would be like if the maps started off flat so we would be playing as the first soldiers to fight there, and terrain deformation would be the cause of craters from artillery etc, although it would probably be impossible to start off without getting shot in the face from a mile away, but maybe if it was a new gamemode or something...seems like it wouldn't work actually....but.....maybe??? (i'm not saying they should do this, just seeing what other people would think of it :) )
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
I don't know if that's a good idea. If you put a few heavy mortars on the trench, you wouldn't see the difference anymore between the trench and nomansland. The heavy mortars from the Belgians and the Schutzen would create such a crater, that once you fall in, you can't get out.
And there is the issue to the programming. Creating such a big map, with this kind of gamechangers during matchs, it would take a very long time to make it happen.
Originally posted by Athaelstan | ENC2017:
I don't know if that's a good idea. If you put a few heavy mortars on the trench, you wouldn't see the difference anymore between the trench and nomansland. The heavy mortars from the Belgians and the Schutzen would create such a crater, that once you fall in, you can't get out.
And there is the issue to the programming. Creating such a big map, with this kind of gamechangers during matchs, it would take a very long time to make it happen.
Yep, didn't think it would work hahaha
i was wondering months ago about ways the developers might come up with "new" maps by making adjustments to the current maps, so maybe one of my ideas fits with this thread.
basically, i suggested that Aisne works best for 1918, but not as well for 1914, so i thought perhaps the developers could present two Aisne maps. AisneA would be the current map. AisneB would have not only the shellholes flattened, but wrecked tanks and planes would not be present, sandbags would not exist, developed trenches would be replaced with mere ditches, and barbed wire would be eliminated. AisneB would simulate more of the open war situations faced in many areas for 1914 and late 1918. i assume that these changes would be cheaper in money and time than an entirely new map.
neon's idea of destructible terrain is a different story.
Last edited by biggalloot; Feb 16 @ 3:24am
A sort of engineer class able to dig small foxholes etc would be quite cool, But probably would not happen because of several reasons
Bishop Feb 16 @ 4:01am 
It would be a nightmare to code, we don't have any map changes happening in a match. Also as said balance would be hard to set with it.
quote=Adolfin;133257324790214579]A sort of engineer class able to dig small foxholes etc would be quite cool, But probably would not happen because of several reasons [/quote]
Would take quite some time and be of no benefit.
Last edited by Bishop; Feb 16 @ 4:02am
Originally posted by Bishop:
Originally posted by Adolfin:
A sort of engineer class able to dig small foxholes etc would be quite cool, But probably would not happen because of several reasons
Would take quite some time and be of no benefit.
Exaclty my though :) Just putting forward ideas
Originally posted by biggalloot:
i was wondering months ago about ways the developers might come up with "new" maps by making adjustments to the current maps, so maybe one of my ideas fits with this thread.
basically, i suggested that Aisne works best for 1918, but not as well for 1914, so i thought perhaps the developers could present two Aisne maps. AisneA would be the current map. AisneB would have not only the shellholes flattened, but wrecked tanks and planes would not be present, sandbags would not exist, developed trenches would be replaced with mere ditches, and barbed wire would be eliminated. AisneB would simulate more of the open war situations faced in many areas for 1914 and late 1918. i assume that these changes would be cheaper in money and time than an entirely new map.
neon's idea of destructible terrain is a different story.

AisneB would just be a playground for mg's anf snipers. It would also be quite difficult to get a good spawn for like the Poilus nco, if you spawn just next to a ditch, you get shot down. Won't be nice to play
I thought you were talking about starting off with literally nothing and digging the trenches at the beginning of the round XD
NeonEnigma Feb 19 @ 11:20pm 
Originally posted by shoesalad:
I thought you were talking about starting off with literally nothing and digging the trenches at the beginning of the round XD
hahaha, that would be interesting

< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Verdun > General Discussions > Topic Details
Date Posted: Feb 16 @ 12:59am
Posts: 9