First of all, thanks so much for your patience and your understanding. GDC and PAX are two of the largest events of the year, and the entire Nuclear Throne team was out at GDC. We managed to get together for only fifteen minutes between all of our meetings, talks and meetups and we snapped the first-ever Nuclear Throne team photo!
Anyway, we're a bit rusty after two weeks of conferences and travel, but it's about time we get another update out there!
Let's start with the first one you'll notice: welcome an updated logo to the title screen! This is just the tip of the giant iceberg that's the total interface overhaul we've been discussing in the team chat. We intend to improve all our menus visually, but mainly improve the usability for both mouse and gamepads a ton! This is one of the most difficult things left on our (massive) to do list, so please bear with us the coming weeks while we try to tackle such an enormous task.
Besides a shiny new logo, there's a great new bullet weapon, tips for ultra characters, improved loop difficulty, and you can now even use the digits to quick-select mutations! We made some much-needed fixes we've been frustrated at from afar reading the forums at GDC & PAX, and we've spent a lot of time balancing. Hopefully our time away from development helped us gain some much-needed critical distance and insights, leading to some really solid progress it the next few weeks.
Or it might just turn out that we completely broke Melting and Rebel.
- Updated in-game logo by the legendary Paul Veer, known for the art of games such as Nuclear Throne.
- Heavy Assault Rifle.
- Characters now have new tips when reaching Level Ultra. We also added/changed some tips for Steroids, Y.V. and Rebel.
- You can now quick-select mutations using the digits.
- Improved Big Dog on loop with some fun new tech.
- Lil' Hunter spawn faster on loops.
- Made Golden Scorpions less rare the further you loop!
- Big change to Rebel: Allies now cost more, the more you have of them. Cost starts at 1HP, and improves by 1 for each 2 Allies, capping at a cost of 4. The Ultra that spawns Allies when taking damage sticks to this as well, so gives you double Allies when used now! This probably still needs some balancing.
- Melting now always gets big explosions from larger enemies, even without Throne Butt.
- Melting's Throne Butt is now a bit weaker than it used to be, but it's still ridiculously powerful!
- Melting's Ultra that blows up low HP enemies no longer makes those enemies spawn corpses.
- Blood Hammer is now a lot more interesting...
- Splinter weapons now deal a bit more damage.
- Lowered the rate of fire on the Auto Grenade Shotgun and Gatling Bazooka. These weapons should now be more usable, with a bit of caution of course. Gatling Bazooka has been made more accurate as well.
- Party's over, Crown of Blood now makes all enemies drop one less rad.
- Labs spawns more empty space around you.
- Necromancers wait a bit longer before doing stuff after spawn.
- We buffed Lucky Shot a bit more, we're going to keep doing this until it's ridiculously OP and people start noticing it!
- Hyper Rifle now shoots 5 bullet bursts instead.
- Heavy Slugger damage has been increased even more.
- Fixed the notorious infinite water boost for Fish.
- Big Dog no longer spawns awake.
- Fixed the IDPD grenade error.
- Fixed Sharp Teeth rapidly phasing Ravens and Lil Hunter in and out of The 11th Dimension.
- Underwater Mines no longer spawn next to you.
- The random character and crown option are no longer seeded.
- Fixed a collision problem with IDPD grenades, potentially nerfing them a bit.
- Fixed the Lightning Hammer icon, again.
Again, thanks so much for your understanding. We're back in action. Let us know what you think, and don't forget to spread the word about Nuclear Throne! Livestreams are starting again too, every Tuesday and Thursday, 1PM CET until 5PM CET.