New Contraption Maker update. You BETA believe it!
Version 0.192 Update 7/5
Just a few more fixes. Getting ready for Monday!
- Fixed make window getting stuck in resize puzzle mode
- Fixed an issue where the jack in the box could be opened by force
- Puzzle tweaks
- Destroy contraption window if level cannot load (crash fix)
- Return noSound if resource is not initialized (crash fix)
- Fixed an issue where Milton would get stuck in the floor
- Fixed a rope stretching bug that occured on certain flipped parts
- Fixed Milton to have better physics in wind
- Made Tea Kettle take into account rotation and applying wind force to other parts
- Fixed Electric Fan shifting
- Added Dynamite to the rope group
- Activated Dynamite body when it explodes so the rope doesn't stretch
- Fixed wind force in Electric Fan, Steam Whistle, Tea Kettle, and Vacuum
- Added a routine to immediately update restitution and friction values in an arbiter
- Crash handler crash fix
- Fix scenery crash when quickly cloning and a move happens when nothing is selected
- Adjusted Waldo's swish tail and meow frequency of animation
- Shrink scenery to 1/4 when it is first dragged into view
- Sound volume tweaks
- Fixed area of effect so it returns the correct rotation value (teapot wind area erratic)
- Skip puzzles when we can't load their inf files (crash fix)
Version 0.189 Update 7/2
More fixes. The game should be super stable now!
- Balloons can now be popped (correctly) by a burning blimp
- Fixed a crash when trying to set a custom goal location on a part
- Fixed a crash involving the magnifying glass
- Locked power strips can now plug into outlets
Version 0.186 Update 7/1
Fixed a couple crashes introduced by version 0.184 (oops!)
- Fixed a crash with puzzle parts that could have their state edited
- Fixed a crash that would happen if you tried to attach a cloned rope to something
- Fixed a bug where eggs were not cracking even if they were inside an explosion
Version 0.184 Update 7/1
More bug fixes and improvements? Ok!
- Fixed the Electric Switch so it makes sure that velocity at the collision point is in the correct direction to flip switch.
- Added text and arrows to some tutorial levels to make them easier
- A number of official puzzle fixes and adjustments
- Republished old and outdated puzzle screenshots
- New egg art
- Fix crash when editing text
- Fixed a bug where balloons weren’t popping because explosions were using their spawn location
- Fixed Thread Bobber being pulled off wheel by nulling out accumulation energy when body is switch in slide joint
- Fixed belt selection bugs
- Scaled the remote bomb explosion to match the actual radius of it
- Made fire pop Balloons
- Expand belt end selection radius
- Make sure belt end is visible when dragged out
- Do not autosave when testing the puzzle
- Made Waldo meow less often
- Destroy state / goal editors on clear to fix a massive slowdown that this was causing
- Fix crash with cloning
- Remove experimental tag from all the newly finished parts
- Fix some uninitialized memory
- Performance improvements
- Fixed undo/redo in CMLevel
- Turn physics off when selection is cleared
- Fixed position of text editor button
- Do not allow corners to resize non-resizeable windows
Version 0.177 Update 6/29
Do you know what would make your Sunday super awesome? Another update for Contraption Maker!
- Fixed a number of assorted crashes (thanks for your great crash reports!)
- New art for the sound block
- Sound block has been made larger
- Sound for the part disposal
- New icons for the sound and color blocks
- Fixed an issue where the mouse wouldn't stop playing his eating sound effect
Version 0.176 Update 6/27
A new scenery set full of arrows and signs for labeling things in your contraptions! This also comes with a bunch of new sound effects. The sound blocks now have sine wave tones to play a whole scale of notes.
- New "markup" scenery parts
- Lots of new sound effects
- Sound block now has notes to play
- Added an effect to the anti-gravity pad
- Waldo will walk a short distance forward when hit by something
- Waldo will turn around if there is food behind him
- The solar panel can now be flipped
- Tea kettle and incline walls are no longer missing part helps
- Fixed an issue with contraptions that were named with characters that could not be read by the game
- Show scenery selection box again
- Fixed an issue where middle mouse click would restart a puzzle
- Clear selection when a touch starts with the scenery controller
- Crash reporting improvements
Version 0.167 Update 6/24
This is a smaller update that fixes a couple different crashes. We also just added a super helpful feature: the cannon trajectory line!
- Added a subtle wind effect to the fan, bellows, and vacuum
- New icons for the limited walls and pipe
- The limited conveyor belt has new art and a new icon for the part bin
- Trajectory line for the cannon. See where it's going to shoot before you run the contraption
- Fix crash when CM window is closed with publish window open
- Fixed a crash that would happen if you canceled a community level downloading
- Fix for single shot effects
Version 0.165 Update 6/23
A lot more fixes and adjustments for you guys. Pulleys had a lot of work done to them, so contraptions involving pulleys may behave slightly different. We only had to adjust a few puzzles, so hopefully everyone isn't affected too much.
- Fixed Paper Lantern, Blimp, and Balloon to make sure that no collision shapes are still active after they pop
- Made Blimp explode with small force when hit by Energy Burst or Flame
- Fixed pulleys -- wrote a new pulley joint method from scratch that is more solid
- New laser splitter icon that is easier to see in the part tray
- Assorted puzzle fixes
- Adjusted code so that part bin can be ordered in a way that makes more logical sense
- Added animations for popped Blimp and Paper Lantern
- Fixed a few part group flags for some parts that had missing flags
- Change cancel button to OK when publish succeeds
- Do not display scrollbar for empty grid
- Fixed external website links for Wiki, Bugs, Community
- Fixed scrollbar position for puzzle description
- Made sure all animations switch correctly so overlapping crocs animations aren't playing at the same time
- Fixed bug where pulley collide shape wasn't being deleted correctly
- Some setup work to have a separate inactive part list (to make game run faster)
- Fixed Flashlight so artwork will line up correctly when initial state is set to be "on" in the editor
- Added check for impulse from explosion so that if explosion and body affected are in exact same spot then divide-by-zero won't happen
- Changed Balloon, Blimp, and Paper Lantern popping so that rope disconnect won't occur while Chipmunk space is locked
- Load multiplayer servers from remote data
- Fixed code so pulley will rotate correctly when rope is pulled through it. It was only right about 80% of the time before (but no one seem to notice)
- Fixed calculation of dynamic rope segments on each end of a rope that goes through pulleys to be much more accurate
- Changed a slide joint calculation to use 64 bits to take care of possible overflows if a generated impluse was greater than 32,767 or less than -32,768
- Removed unused assets to reduce game size
- Better centering of puzzle cards
- Null out shared window when it closes in make state
- Fix outline sprite for spring trapdoor
- Reset page numbers in community browser when switching filters
Version 0.162 Update 6/12
More additions and fixes coming in hot!
- Tutorial puzzles: There are now tutorial puzzles to help players just getting started.
- Zone of effect: Parts like the fan and anti-gravity pad now show their "zone of effect" when they are selected. This makes it easier to place them in the right spot without trial and error.
- Fixed an issue where the inverse laser goal states were backwards.
- The color of the laser outlet and delay of the laser repeater can now be set when they are puzzle parts.
- New paste button
Version 0.160 Update 6/9
- Better alignment of mouse with rotation of walls and parts
- Added a number of fixes for puzzle exploits
- New pipe wall art
- Brick, Caution, and Pipe Inclines implemented
- Added placeholder art for Paper Lantern and Blimp in flames
- Added a whole lot more parts that can be created by the Part Creator
- Fixed a windows compile error
- Improved the text tool. You can now choose from a few different fonts and colors
- New functionality for the state and goal windows. States & goals are now shown as animated contraptions
- Puzzles no longer show unattached belts, ropes, and cords in the workshop screenshot
- When in viewing contraption mode, reset now stops the simulation and resets the camera instead of crashing the game
- Draggable tab control in part and scenery windows
- Fixed an issue making it hard to select ropes and belts in Play mode
- Fix crash when switching contraption windows with state editor
- Remove early out which prevented selection in play mode
- Fix crash when switching contraption windows with state editor open, hide state/goal editor when switching contraption windows
- Fix for crashing when deleting textfield while editing text (also clears the text edit window when selection is cleared)
- Fix Raygun state messages
- Added message for Rock Block part help
- Fixed goals for a few parts
- Can no longer enter negative numbers in number fields
- Reduced size of Flashlight selection box and made sure Flashlight shows up in same place in earlier created puzzles/contraptions
Beta Update 5/28
Another month, another update, but this one is more special than others. As of today, we are no longer in Alpha and have grown up to Beta! This means that pretty much all of our base systems are in the game, everything is much more stable, and we have way more puzzles for people to play. This also means that our 1.0 release is coming up fast! Because we have moved up from Alpha, we have bumped the price of the game up from $9.99 to $14.99. However, the game is now a "two-pack". That means that everyone that purchases the game now gets a gift copy of the game along with it to send to a friend. Give the extra copy to someone you like, try out the multiplayer, and build something together!
If you have already purchased the game, no worries, you should receive a gift copy in your inventory as well. This may take a little while to roll out, so don't worry if you don't see anything right away. If it's been a long time and you still don't have your gift copy, please email jon [at] spotkin [dot] com and let us know.
The Beta should automatically update in your library. If it doesn't update, give it some time to roll out to you.
If you have been looking for new puzzles, you are in luck. We have almost doubled our current amount of puzzles, adding 45 new ones! This brings the total official puzzle count up to 100. If you feel like you solved a puzzle in a strange or exploitative way, submit your solution to this forum thread
. Some solutions are clever and will stay in, but certain solutions that break a puzzle are helpful to know about.
- Aidan's Cooler: This is similar to the other boxes, but it’s much easier to move around. It’s on wheels, and has a handle that you can attach a rope to.
- “Ratchet Clicker”: Hit the button or give the rope hook a pull to give an impulse (he likes it!) to the hamster and make him run for just one rotation. Official name TBD.
- Part Creator: Set which part you want to make and how often you want it to be made. Once the part creator is turned on, it will continue to produce the selected part until it’s turned off.
- Vertical & horizontal walls & pipe: These are special versions of the walls and big pipe that can only be stretched vertically & horizontally. Use these as puzzle parts to make your puzzles less exploitable. (Icons in part tray are temporary)
- Limited length Conveyor Belt: Conveyor belts are fun, but it can be hard to put them in a puzzle because they can be too powerful. This is a special conveyor belt for use in puzzles. It can only stretch a certain distance, it can’t be stretched diagonally, and it only has one pulley attachment.
- Stone Tablet: These are like dominoes, but they are slightly heavier.
New UI & Usability Fixes
In addition to part 2 of the UI overhaul, a bunch of usability fixes have been implemented to make your play experience much more enjoyable.Usability
- You can now play levels directly from the community instead of subscribing and then going to the stash. This makes the community playing process much smoother and easier to understand.
- Customizable keyboard bindings: A long awaited feature. Go into the settings to check out or set your own keyboard shortcuts.
- Official puzzle solutions: After solving a puzzle (official or community), you can check out how the creator of the puzzle solved it.
- Freely rotatable parts now have buttons and widgets rotate along with them. This means buttons will no longer end up on top of the rotate handle.
- The puzzle boundary (the black line around your puzzle) is now used for creating the screenshot for your puzzle or contraption in the workshop. When publishing a contraption or a puzzle, you will get a confirmation window to make sure everything looks right.
- Animated arrows now connect frames of animation to give you an idea of the speed.
- You can now click the speed bar dots to change contraption playback speed.
- Parts can be cloned in test mode if there are some still in the tray
- Moved record button out of simulation controls to avoid accidental recordings
- Puzzle boundary can be moved
- When publishing a puzzle, there is now a check to see that it is actually solvable.
- Certain parts can now have their states edited when they are used as puzzle pieces: Egg timer, Dripping bucket, Toaster, Ray gun.
- Made Belt Attachment highlight red when they are out of range
- Downloaded levels can be displayed in the community browser
- Buttons that can't be adjusted when a part is locked will now disappear when that part is locked
- New part selection
- New workshop card graphics
- New tooltips throughout the game. These can be turned off in the settings when you no longer need them.
- New handles for walls that behave differently
- New multiplayer server browser
- New animation window
- New puzzle goal editor
- New state window
- Infinite background grid. The puzzle boundary in make mode is now just a line.
6 new songs have been added to use as background music for your puzzles and contraptions.
New art has been made for the following parts. Some parts still have super pretty programmer art, but the list of these parts is getting pretty short.
- The big gold pipes now have different shading for each corner piece. This means all of the shadows on the pipes will now match up.
- Added new Wrecking Ball art. This has slightly changed the size and shape of the wrecking ball. Contraptions that used the old wrecking ball may need some adjustment
- Added new artwork for Thread Bobber
- Brick and caution walls have been changed to fit in more with the overall art style.
- The fight animation between Waldo and Milton now fades out
Part & Physics Changes
As always, these changes can make your current contraptions run differently. Give them a check and see if they are still running like you want them to. We are very close to locking these things down, which means no more breaking contraptions!
- Made Blimp and Paper Lantern be light and heat sources when going down in flames (Art for this coming soon)
- Toolman Tim will now walk when hit by low mass parts
- Explosions will now blow up Blimp when it is within range of the explosion
- Gave the Flying Saucer a lot more mass so it can carry other parts
- Adjusted rope slack for the Light Bulb, Ratchet Clicker, Ray Gun, and Trapdoor so they aren't immediately triggered when hooked to parts that only drop very small amount before coming to rest
- Added some friction damping to the Trapdoor platform so it won't swing forever after dropping
- Fixed pivot location on the Trapdoor
- Bucket should no longer turn on light when not moving
- Toolman Tim will go back to running after fall if he was running before fall
- Fixed Punching Fist so it can only be triggered when button shape was hit
- Made Lasers and Energy Bursts light fuses
- Allow part states to be edited in play mode
- Scenery groups can be right-click cloned.
- Made Pinball Flipper work like a real flipper (still tweaking values)
- Made Wood Crate less bouncy
- Adjusted friction of Egg -- it will not roll down angled walls/inclines more correctly instead of sliding
- Heavy parts will no longer tunnel through buckets
- Fixed Blimps being blown up by explosions so it uses their actual location and not their starting location when explosive force is applied.
- Fixed Trapdoor being triggered by rope pull. The constraint length for the rope attachment wasn't taking into consideration the intial stick rotation.
- While in special move, only show rotate/resize gadget
- Windows compile fix
- Make sure screenshot is cached when downloading level
- Revamped of sort order of parts, and fixed a Toolman Tim problem
- Fixed rope behaving differently by changing default order of parts
- Fixed crash bug for level where Toaster didn't correctly save its cord
- Changed the part ordering to use a new more robust system
- Fixed Toolman Tim so it he will no longer do a short fall sequence switching directions after running (not walking) into a wall
- Fix layer panel ordering issue
- Bringing some sanity to touch priorities.
- We no longer use the window size for screen caps
- Fix movie and screenshots for off-center puzzles
- Catch key conflicts, filter shift for panning, and don't allow control on OSX as it simulated a right click
- Fixed bug where Belts could be attached to parts farther than longest belt length
- Fixed getLastImpulse() in the Rope part. It was overflowing and also 65536 times too large.
- Made Belt Attachment highlights red when they are out of rangeChanged parts to use hash which can encode type and state, updated PartsWindow to handle multiples of same type but different state, works with drag/drop
- Fix stash refresh. New puzzle card graphics
- Fix for rope
- Drag drop working for plunger/bombs
- Got Chipmunk physics body sleeping working and add wake up calls where needed and modified collision shapes/types where needed to make things wake up when they should
- Made a fix to Chipmunk to handle a crash that could be cause when waking up a part who has a shape that overlaps another part's shape where one of them is a sensor shape
- Adjusted the Chipmunk automatic caculation of kinetic energy threshold needed for a part to sleep
- Improve GetMessage to use const references instead of copying local string on return, which appeared to be buggy under MSVC
- Added a guard against multiple Settings dialogs being instantiated
- Fix crash for puzzles that have a state editor
- Fix cloning of animation
- Fixes to correctly convert Electric Motor speed to rotation speed through attachments.
- Default to DX9, added -dx11 command line parameter
- Fixed problem with Laser Splitter where they would create too many beams if very close to each other
- Fixed default chipmunk collision group id numbers for parts so they don't collide with some fixed group numbers
- End test mode when options selected
- Do not rotate selection boxes when multiple parts are selected.
- Made group flipping of parts work more rationally
- sound optimization
- Move state button for text to lower left so it doesn't overlap with animation.
- Batching improvements, parts now use 1/2 as much batch space in general (no zero rect sprites being passed per valid sprite), PoolBalls use @32x less batch space due to improvements in Part batching control
- Kept light bulb from spinning when hooked to blimp through pulley. Was a general pulley problem with infinite mass bodies.
- Fixed Milton Mouse from being trapped in corner. When he was colliding with two surfaces one of which wasn't flat enough to walk on would not set walkable flag in the non-walkable surface was the 2nd one processed
- Kept Thread Bobber from being derailed when hooked to a small mass body through a pulley
- Fixed offset of collision shape of Energy Burst. It was off by about 10 units
- Goal editor can be scaled
- No longer clip Belts to puzzle boundary when in make mode.
- Made Thread Bobber bob at better rates when incoming rotation speed get high
- Fixed debug drawing of part center-of-gravity so it now compiles
- Fixed bug in computMomentOfInertia() so that it doesn't include sensor collision shapes in its calculations