Spelunky > General Discussions > Topic Details
The Frying Dutch Pan Apr 12 @ 7:02am
Meh
I've purchased it since people said it was a good platformer.
Well, it is not rewarding at all and it is just plain bad that there is no servers for co-op.
90/100 score is the biggest lie steam most likely ever made.
And i know i'm going to get alot of butthurt since this is the Spelunky forum.
Monaco: Great game, co-op, rewarding.
Super Meat Boy: Great game, no co-op/online but great levels and it is extremely rewarding / sastisfying.
Spelunky: It's not a bad game, not at all. It's just not rewarding. Unlocking an character is useless since they don't give any ''special'' ability. And having to re-do the levels time over time with it changing every time is even more painfull. The ''Remember and repeat'' is not there and you'll have to adapt yourself from emenies you can't even see some of the times and traps you can not dodge. And the ''hurry up or you'll die anyway'' smoke screen in every mine makes it way to aggressive. If i want to play a game i want to start out slowly, see how the game is build and adapt to that. Not having to hurry every single time i play a level.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion i must say this game is not worth 90/100.

Yours,
-Ketsh
Showing 1-15 of 102 comments
< >
Pantheon Apr 12 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
90/100 score is the biggest lie steam most likely ever made.
You do realize that Steam isn't giving out the scores, right?
And jsut because you don't like the game, doesn't make the score a lie. Most people like this game, including reviewers, that's why the score is so high.

And you getting better and further in the game is not rewarding?
Also, why would there be servers for co-op, when there is no online co-op?
Last edited by Pantheon; Apr 12 @ 7:14am
The Frying Dutch Pan Apr 12 @ 7:17am 
Originally posted by Pantheon:
Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
90/100 score is the biggest lie steam most likely ever made.
And i know i'm going to get alot of butthurt since this is the Spelunky forum.
You do realize that Steam isn't giving out the scores, right?

And you getting better and further in the game is not rewarding?
Also, why would there be servers for co-op, when there is no online co-op?
There is local co-op and it would be more fun to play with others for sure.
And why is getting better and further in the game not rewarding? I do not get a reward in any kind of form. Look: If you play super meat boy and you complete a hard level (or get a bandage) you unlock a charachter. With that charachter i can do other things. That's rewarding. If i finish a level in Spelunky and get further. Ending up in the same environmen with a different background it is not rewarding. Not worth playing for.
Leonard Apr 12 @ 7:34am 
I actually agree with you,i think i'm nearly the only one here.
Ladez Apr 12 @ 9:03am 
You have yet to play the game for more than an hour (yes, I checked your profile, I'm a bad person, but read on because I will give you some advice), so I believe it's a bit early for you to take this stance. The first couple of hours can be painful, and it can certainly feel unrewarding, since there is a good chance you won't even make it through the first four levels in that time.

It's true that there's a minimal amount of progression in Spelunky. There's nothing to unlock that will make the game easier for you later on. You can unlock shortcuts to the later areas, but they are mainly there for allowing you to train in that area, without having to walk through the previous ones. For a typical game you will have to start from the first level, or you will be sure to miss out on a lot of important items along the way. And you start with a clean slate every time.

If this is not your cup of tea, I can totally understand it; but try to understand the appeal of it. Spelunky doesn't waste any effort in making the game easier for you. You have to improve your own skills instead of trusting the game to help you along the way. The "Remember and repeat" that you say is not there, IS there. It is to be found everywhere. When you figure out how to kill bats, you take that knowledge and apply it to every situation you encounter with bats from then on. When you discover that arrow traps indeed CAN be dodged, you will use that to your advantage in every later game. The progression in this game is not of the superficial kind where the game gives you skills/weapons/moves to use, and then throws harder enemies at you to make up for it. It is of the kind where you keep trying until you know exactly how to overcome certain situations.

Play the game some more, and maybe you will begin to see the appeal of it. Also try to play it in short sessions instead of several hours at once. If you discover that the game indeed is not to your liking, then I'm sure no-one will be butthurt by it, and at least you will have tried :)
Last edited by Ladez; Apr 12 @ 9:09am
Big Chimpin Apr 12 @ 9:25am 
The rewarding part of the game is beating the levels since the game can be quite hard. If you can't handle a difficult game then you'll want to look elsewhere. As for not seeing enemies... you do know if you hold down the screen will scroll so you can see what's below you? Otherwise unless you're in one of the dark levelsl where you have to use torches, there hasn't been a situation where I can't see an enemy. Also, it's not true there are traps you can't dodge. I certainly never encountered that. The statues that shoot spears only shoot a spear once, you can easily toss a jar or rock to trigger it. Or if that's not an option, just blow it up with your bombs unless you wasted them. It sounds like you didn't figure things out on your own and just gave up thinking it's impossible.

That's fine if you don't like it, but a lot of your concerns are either what makes the game appealing or have a simple solution. The game is hard, but if it was easy, there would really be no point in playing it.
Rworqx Apr 12 @ 2:46pm 
man i was laughing my ars off how terrible i was. but i wanted to see the end and beat it. after a lot of times i did it. and a lot later witout shortcuts.. and than a mate is telling me that there is even a alternative ending. even harder. off course there were some moments what me off. because of the total BS what the game can throw at you. but never hated it. but i guess not everybody has patience. well good luck if you ever play more.
Jackayl Apr 12 @ 2:54pm 
Originally posted by Big Chimpin:
The rewarding part of the game is beating the levels since the game can be quite hard. If you can't handle a difficult game then you'll want to look elsewhere. As for not seeing enemies... you do know if you hold down the screen will scroll so you can see what's below you? Otherwise unless you're in one of the dark levelsl where you have to use torches, there hasn't been a situation where I can't see an enemy. Also, it's not true there are traps you can't dodge. I certainly never encountered that. The statues that shoot spears only shoot a spear once, you can easily toss a jar or rock to trigger it. Or if that's not an option, just blow it up with your bombs unless you wasted them. It sounds like you didn't figure things out on your own and just gave up thinking it's impossible.

That's fine if you don't like it, but a lot of your concerns are either what makes the game appealing or have a simple solution. The game is hard, but if it was easy, there would really be no point in playing it.
Definitely do not use bombs to get through arrow traps.. Even a rope is better. What I often do is whip the arrow that comes out, it's rather easy once you get to know the timing. Doesn't work if the arrow trap is too close though.
Sithekiwi Apr 12 @ 6:04pm 
well
Last edited by Sithekiwi; Apr 12 @ 6:04pm
Spexguy Apr 12 @ 8:28pm 
It is rewarding, Shortcuts, Daily Challenges, ect.
Butters Apr 13 @ 6:02am 
Totally agree, overrated game.
icezolation Apr 13 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
it is just plain bad that there is no servers for co-op.
There is no online co-op to begin with, so it's unfair to criticize missing servers.

Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
90/100 score is the biggest lie steam most likely ever made. And i know i'm going to get alot of butthurt since this is the Spelunky forum.
If you make up your mind based on metascore or anything alike you're gonna have a bad time :P

Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
The ''Remember and repeat'' is not there and you'll have to adapt yourself from emenies you can't even see some of the times and traps you can not dodge.
It's more repeat and learn. You should be able to remember certain patterns of generated levelparts. As for traps: Which traps are you refering to? Most of the time you're able to completely avoid traps. Others can be "cleared" if you know what you're doing.

Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
And the ''hurry up or you'll die anyway'' smoke screen in every mine makes it way to aggressive.
The appearing ghost at the 2:30 minute timemark is NOT a death penalty. You can avoid the ghost like anything else as its movement is extremely linear. I'm not saying it isn't tricky at all, but it seems you gave up before even trying..?

Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
I'm sorry, but in my opinion i must say this game is not worth 90/100.
Well, score ratings are plain stupid anyway.

Hope that you can have more (challenging) fun with the game in the future.
Shozzy_D Apr 13 @ 8:02am 
Great game
aBit...Sly Apr 13 @ 11:00am 
Originally posted by The Frying Dutch Pan:
I've purchased it since people said it was a good platformer.
Well, it is not rewarding at all and it is just plain bad that there is no servers for co-op.
90/100 score is the biggest lie steam most likely ever made.
And i know i'm going to get alot of butthurt since this is the Spelunky forum.
Monaco: Great game, co-op, rewarding.
Super Meat Boy: Great game, no co-op/online but great levels and it is extremely rewarding / sastisfying.
Spelunky: It's not a bad game, not at all. It's just not rewarding. Unlocking an character is useless since they don't give any ''special'' ability. And having to re-do the levels time over time with it changing every time is even more painfull. The ''Remember and repeat'' is not there and you'll have to adapt yourself from emenies you can't even see some of the times and traps you can not dodge. And the ''hurry up or you'll die anyway'' smoke screen in every mine makes it way to aggressive. If i want to play a game i want to start out slowly, see how the game is build and adapt to that. Not having to hurry every single time i play a level.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion i must say this game is not worth 90/100.

Yours,
-Ketsh

First of all, how far have you gotten in the game? this the most rewarding game I've ever played, but it wasn't rewarding until I got great at the game, especially when I beat Hell (on the 360 version) so it takes time for anyone to feel how rewarding this game truly is.

Unlocking characters is NOT one of the rewarding parts, it's getting further and further in the game, it's getting to the City of Gold for the first time, finally beating Olmec, getting to Hell, actually beating Hell! THAT is what gives you an amazing sense of accomplishment and is rewarding...really, you think unlocking characters is it? wow.

Look man, when you get good at this game, report back to me and you'll have learned that when you die in this game, it is very few and far between when the game is at fault; usually it's always your fault, it's a very fair game...brutal but fair.

Also, you'll learn to love the Ghost when you're great at this game, only newer people hate the Ghost.
Disciple Apr 13 @ 4:09pm 
Originally posted by Ladez:
You have yet to play the game for more than an hour
That' right.

@The Frying Dutch Pan, tbh, you just didn't know anything about this game, how can you judge it?
logan5 Apr 13 @ 7:01pm 
this is just precious
Showing 1-15 of 102 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50