Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

filedetectiesysteem Sep 2, 2013 @ 11:48am
Amnesia's going social criticism?
I know it sounds far-fetched and it's probarly because of my political views, but the game's title and concept always make me think about some sort of criticism on capitalism. Think about it: by 1899, it was the second industrial revolution and capitalism was in full effect. This makes me think about how "the machine meant for the slaughtering of pigs" actually refers to how we are in fact killing ourselves by submitting to an economic system and we are in fact nothing but cattle ready for slaughter. Just like animals are force-fed to get fat and killed afterwards for us to consume, we work hard to buy status symbols and get our personal worth judged by those on top of the system. Animals get locked in cages from metal and wood, we get locked in cages made by ideas like 'ethics', 'law' and 'status'. The protagonist seems to own a factory too. London isn't a surprising location either, Gustave Doré made an engraving of the dirty London slums of that time.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
SmithDoc Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:40pm 
Originally posted by filedetectiesysteem:
I know it sounds far-fetched and it's probarly because of my political views, but the game's title and concept always make me think about some sort of criticism on capitalism. Think about it: by 1899, it was the second industrial revolution and capitalism was in full effect. This makes me think about how "the machine meant for the slaughtering of pigs" actually refers to how we are in fact killing ourselves by submitting to an economic system and we are in fact nothing but cattle ready for slaughter. Just like animals are force-fed to get fat and killed afterwards for us to consume, we work hard to buy status symbols and get our personal worth judged by those on top of the system. Animals get locked in cages from metal and wood, we get locked in cages made by ideas like 'ethics', 'law' and 'status'. The protagonist seems to own a factory too. London isn't a surprising location either, Gustave Doré made an engraving of the dirty London slums of that time.

yes, i think this is exactly right. also, thechineseroom is full of intelligent, high-minded people, so i wouldn't put it past them to put polictical commentary into the game.

i wonder what role the orphans will play?
filedetectiesysteem Sep 2, 2013 @ 12:51pm 
When used as an insult, 'pig' also refers to a policeman, a rich person or a very consumerist person. Coincidence?
MusicforMovies Sep 2, 2013 @ 3:16pm 
There is undoubtly a political sub-theme present, but it is not surprising although it is - if this game is successful from a monetary standpoint - ironic. That all being said - the sub-theme doesn't bother me; I mean this is at the time of the Industrial Revolution - how could there not be a commentary on that event in some form?
POLENTA Dec 28, 2013 @ 8:41pm 
It is more than a social critic agains capitalism. The author are clearely tryng to expose a COMMUNIST vision. At the end of the credits, in the end of the game, you can see a Trotsky quote, which is amazing!
You also can see a true critic against christianism, in the church, right on the begining of the game, where there is a pig (capitalism) stucked into a crucifixion, clearely meaning a relation with capitalism and religion at all.

Amazing game, amazing message.
rim6o Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:56am 
"They will bury their snouts in your rib cages and they will eat your heart!"
Now read about contemporary corporatism, virtual money, fractional reserve banking, planned obsolescence, contemporary marketing techniques, look around you and... The internpretation of the AAMFP's message is far from far-fetched.
rjmacready Jan 4, 2014 @ 1:26am 
What, someone criticising the gorgeous, pure beauty of Capitalism? SAY IT AIN'T SO. I ♥♥♥♥ing loved this game.
W0Lf94n9 Jan 4, 2014 @ 8:25am 
this degree of irony makes me wanna puke
rim6o Jan 4, 2014 @ 2:07pm 
Originally posted by rjmacready:
What, someone criticising the gorgeous, pure beauty of Capitalism? SAY IT AIN'T SO. I ♥♥♥♥ing loved this game.
Capitalism is bearable. Corporatism, i.e. what we have nowadays "in the West", not so much.
rjmacready Jan 4, 2014 @ 9:06pm 
Originally posted by rim6o:
Originally posted by rjmacready:
What, someone criticising the gorgeous, pure beauty of Capitalism? SAY IT AIN'T SO. I ♥♥♥♥ing loved this game.
Capitalism is bearable. Corporatism, i.e. what we have nowadays "in the West", not so much.

Well said, friend. Whatever message Machine sought to put forth, and however imperfectly expressed it may be (it is a video game, after all), at least it has the balls to make people THINK. Even if it is via a slightly "ironic" (ie. consumerist) medium as the person commenting above you has pointed out. We may all be a part of this system to whatever degree, but that doesn't mean we should embrace it mindlessly and unconditionally ;)
rim6o Jan 5, 2014 @ 4:34am 
Originally posted by rjmacready:
(...) and however imperfectly expressed it (...)
On that part. The claim that AAMFP's criticism of corporatism is misplaced or ironic (because the devs sell the game copies?) is as valid as claiming that eg."an artist is a hypocrite because he made an anti-wallstreet poster using comercially acquired paint and paper".

Just wanted to point this out before it get's repeated so many times it gets established as a not-silly fact :)
Last edited by rim6o; Jan 5, 2014 @ 4:35am
rjmacready Jan 5, 2014 @ 5:08am 
Originally posted by rim6o:
Originally posted by rjmacready:
(...) and however imperfectly expressed it (...)
On that part. The claim that AAMFP's criticism of corporatism is misplaced or ironic (because the devs sell the game copies?) is as valid as claiming that eg."an artist is a hypocrite because he made an anti-wallstreet poster using comercially acquired paint and paper".

Just wanted to point this out before it get's repeated so many times it gets established as a not-silly fact :)


"I'm cleansed of the system, 'cept when my amp needs electric power", as Jello Biafra once said, in a Dead Kennedys song called "Where Do You Draw The Line?" None of us can claim to complete "purity", but we can have pretty reasonable intentions. Which I certainly believe The Chinese Room had when they made this game :)
PD333 Jan 8, 2014 @ 2:13am 
I saw this article on Slashdot and thought it was kind of relevant.
Click for link [news.slashdot.org]
Auraks Jan 8, 2014 @ 2:29am 
Да)
a WolF living amongst the sheep Jan 8, 2014 @ 3:59am 
Originally posted by POLENTA:
It is more than a social critic agains capitalism. The author are clearely tryng to expose a COMMUNIST vision. At the end of the credits, in the end of the game, you can see a Trotsky quote, which is amazing!
You also can see a true critic against christianism, in the church, right on the begining of the game, where there is a pig (capitalism) stucked into a crucifixion, clearely meaning a relation with capitalism and religion at all.

Amazing game, amazing message.

Which is kinda true.. The idea of jesus and his 12 apostles was basically taken from the Egyptians worshipping the sun and the 12 constellations..

Fact.

The church is the only entity in the world that does not have to pay taxes. Money has always been a major priority with the church.
Last edited by a WolF living amongst the sheep; Jan 8, 2014 @ 4:01am
BridgetFisher Jan 8, 2014 @ 5:48am 
Are people saying this game hates America? Why would the devs hate the number one country in the world?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 15 30 50