Posted: March 27
This was one of (very few) games that got me psyched about 2015. The concept was excellent, and a lot of the time, the game delivered.
- Excellent visuals got me standing on a rooftop just looking towards the rising sun (just before jumping down and bolting because some ♥♥♥♥♥ *** Viral is chasing me), although, I did have to run on medium textures as the mere 2GB frame buffer of my GTX 960 (don't even say it) had the game stuttering
- Free-running mechanic is, in my opinion, the best of any video game (beating AC and Mirror's Edge)
- Excellent combat system, making me think about how to best use the available stamina to either kill all of the zombies in my vicinity or run
- Wide range of weapons (plus some interesting modifications)
- Hilarious drop kick
- Brilliant Easter Eggs (my favourite was the Plants Vs. Zombies one)
- Interesting variation of zombies (demolishers were a particular pain in the ***)
- Excellent community had me make a couple of Steam friends
- Brilliant PvP gameplay, really gets you thinking about tactics to get the kills (especially on the zombie side)
- Good skill tree system allows well progressed development of in-game skills
- Mediocre story with a disappointing QTE ending (although, in terms of plot, I don't think the ending was all bad, just enough to want me coming back for more)
- Disappointing characters with no real depth (I'm looking at you, Crane and Jade). I just didn't feel connected to the characters (although, I found myself a little moved at Rahim's
- Dumb ♥♥♥ villain with a philosphy and physique ripped straight out of Far Cry 3
- ****ing torch
- Lack of content in terms of missions (approximately 45 in total)
- Little emphasis on stealth (especially with human combatants)
- Lack of character customisation, possible inclusion of character creation (although, with developer tools being released, at least outfits should be fair game)
I would have liked to see more focus on specialisation rather than maxing out all skill trees, would have allowed for a greater variety of gameplay styles (I'm more in the mindset to avoid zombies and hit hard and fast on reduced numbers when I have to).
I love this game, and I will continue playing it in coop and PvP. I sincerely hope they release a DLC continuing with the story (or branching off and creating a new one). I don't agree with the hate on this game's ending. Going to Dr. Camden and curing the virus would have been way more anti-climatic than the current one.
Props to Techland for the excellent game (and leaving the ****heads at Deep Silver for the disappointment that was Dead Island).