System Shock 2

System Shock 2

ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 12:40pm
warning - the steam release is botched out of the box //fixed
first, who am I:
http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1
http://www.gog.com/forum/thief_series/tgfix_widescreen_resolutions_fixedimproved_graphics_etc/page1
also made the hotfixes found in the misdml folder of your steam SS2 install.

//the latest build should not have any issues mentioned below. opt for the beta (see the FAQ) to get the new build.

as I found out in another topic on this forum, the steam release has been pre-patched with the latest ss2tool, and again (just like with GOG), the person in charge of patching up the steam version did not bother to contact anyone from systemshock.org. and, surely enough, this has backfired spectacularly, as the tool is meant as something each user would run individually, and not something that can be used to create packages for large scale deployment. the sound issues many of you are having and the missing multiplayer are a direct result of this. also, that person has used the tool in the one EXACT way it should NOT be used, which means the patching process has failed partially, and now some game files are not at their proper locations. this WILL interfere with some mods (most notably ADaoB, and also the upcoming SCP, which is meant to obsolete it), and cause unexpected/odd behavior. job well done, mysterious maintainer.

as someone who is heavily into SS2 mod development, I would like the steam version to be patched up properly, so it would work without issues with all the mods found at systemshock.org, just like the GOG or the original CD release. it's fine to use the tools found there - as long as you use them properly, and mention them in the readme. if you can't figure things out, the systemshock.org staff is always willing to help/cooperate - all you have to do is ask nicely.

if a moderator or someone who knows the persons in charge of the SS2 steam release is reading this, I suggest you make those persons aware of this topic.

Last edited by ps47.3dfx; May 19, 2013 @ 11:02pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 156 comments
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 12:50pm 
the messed up files are there, and with them, the potential problems as well. ADaoB will not work properly, some more mods may have issues as well, all depends on the conflicting files. if you do not plan to install mods, you will probably not encounter anything strange. probably.

and yes, they did re-enable multiplayer a couple of hours ago.
Cigam May 11, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
I saw that Night Dive Studios linked to your post on GOG.com from their webpage.
Have you tried to contact them via their website or their facebook page?

I am currently playing the Steam version of SS2. I've just arrived on deck 4 and so far i have not encountered any bugs. I'm running it on Windows 7 (64-bit) and i am using SHTUP and some of Vurts mods.
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 1:09pm 
as long as you don't use gamesys mods (like ADaoB), you probably won't encounter anything game breaking. but, as I've said, the mess is still there, just waiting for someone to step into it.

did not try to contact night dive yet - thought that a moderator or someone more official should do that. judging from the quite speedy multiplayer fix, someone official is definitely watching the forums.
Last edited by ps47.3dfx; May 11, 2013 @ 1:10pm
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 1:13pm 
then we should see a reply soon.
Cigam May 11, 2013 @ 1:18pm 
Since they linked to your post on gog.com it would seem that you are on their radar so to speak.
I think you should at least try to contact them. You could be saving many gamers alot of grief :)

Also as a longtime System Shock 2 fan i would like to say thanks to you and everyone else who has helped players experience this awesome game.
I will bump this up.
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 1:39pm 
Originally posted by Cigam:
Since they linked to your post on gog.com it would seem that you are on their radar so to speak.
I think you should at least try to contact them. You could be saving many gamers alot of grief :)

Also as a longtime System Shock 2 fan i would like to say thanks to you and everyone else who has helped players experience this awesome game.
cheers.

as for writing an email, mhhh, don't know - let's try waiting a bit first. maybe someone will post on their fb page or something.
Last edited by ps47.3dfx; May 11, 2013 @ 1:40pm
Desert Punk May 11, 2013 @ 2:52pm 
OK so there's a bunch of problems. How do we, the users, fix it? I personally have no sound in the training section. What SStool? I've hard it meantioned but never explained. Would someone like to clue us all in please?
soh_cah_toa May 11, 2013 @ 3:19pm 
Originally posted by Desert Punk:
OK so there's a bunch of problems. How do we, the users, fix it? I personally have no sound in the training section. What SStool? I've hard it meantioned but never explained. Would someone like to clue us all in please?

Take a look here[www.systemshock.org]. It is the #1 essential tool for patching SS2, fixing several bugs, and making it mod-ready. Notice the big red warning that says how screwed up the Steam release is. ;)

Also @ps47.3dfx, thank you for speaking up and helping make the SS2 modding community an awesome place. I think I'll just stick to my GOG version until this is patched because this is just freakin' pathetic.
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 3:20pm 
we all do what we are meant to do.
Originally posted by Desert Punk:
OK so there's a bunch of problems. How do we, the users, fix it? I personally have no sound in the training section. What SStool? I've hard it meantioned but never explained. Would someone like to clue us all in please?
make sure that your hardware acceleration in the audio options is not set to openal, and that the positional sound bias slider is right in the middle.

ss2tool is a patcher designed to bring a System Shock2 install up to date, ensuring that all the latest files and fixes required to run the game and the mods smoothly and reliably are in their latest version and installed properly. this also unifies all installs that have the tool applied (no matter the source of the game files), which makes mod development, deployment and troubleshooting much easier. this should also allow a GOG user, a steam user, and an original CD user to play the multiplayer together, for example. it also allows the user to configure options that are otherwise available only via cfg edits (like anti aliasing, bloom and some more). it also applies some basic fixes to the game levels (fixing stuff like flickering textures, incorrectly placed items and similar), and more.

basically, it's a must have for any modern SS2 installation. as mentioned, the steam release uses it, but in a bad, broken way - most things will work, some will not. and it's hard to provide support for a partially broken version, therefore the situation should be remedied as soon as possible.

there are also legal implications - for example, I've made the misdml files exclusively and only for ss2tool, that means they can only be distributed inside the tool itself. it's not like I'm going to sue anyone, but you get my point - if you want to include someone's work in your release, you need to work things out with him. that will make sure that everything will work properly, if nothing else. also, it's a matter of courtesy.
Last edited by ps47.3dfx; May 11, 2013 @ 3:22pm
The BDD May 11, 2013 @ 3:23pm 
What if I don't give a crap about mods or multiplayer and I just want to play the base game? How is it then?
Desert Punk May 11, 2013 @ 3:24pm 
Originally posted by soh_cah_toa:
Originally posted by Desert Punk:
OK so there's a bunch of problems. How do we, the users, fix it? I personally have no sound in the training section. What SStool? I've hard it meantioned but never explained. Would someone like to clue us all in please?

Take a look here[www.systemshock.org]. It is the #1 essential tool for patching SS2, fixing several bugs, and making it mod-ready. Notice the big red warning that says how screwed up the Steam release is. ;)

Also @ps47.3dfx, thank you for speaking up and helping make the SS2 modding community an awesome place. I think I'll just stick to my GOG version until this is patched because this is just freakin' pathetic.

I had JUST stumbled upon that thread before you posted. Thanks. I'm trying it now.
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 3:27pm 
Originally posted by BigDaddyDream:
What if I don't give a crap about mods or multiplayer and I just want to play the base game? How is it then?
would have to dig through the steam release myself to be sure, but I would say the game should be completable with no significant issues. probably.
Last edited by ps47.3dfx; May 11, 2013 @ 3:28pm
Desert Punk May 11, 2013 @ 3:36pm 
Originally posted by ps47.3dfx:
we all do what we are meant to do.
Originally posted by Desert Punk:
OK so there's a bunch of problems. How do we, the users, fix it? I personally have no sound in the training section. What SStool? I've hard it meantioned but never explained. Would someone like to clue us all in please?
make sure that your hardware acceleration in the audio options is not set to openal, and that the positional sound bias slider is right in the middle.

ss2tool is a patcher designed to bring a System Shock2 install up to date, ensuring that all the latest files and fixes required to run the game and the mods smoothly and reliably are in their latest version and installed properly. this also unifies all installs that have the tool applied (no matter the source of the game files), which makes mod development, deployment and troubleshooting much easier. this should also allow a GOG user, a steam user, and an original CD user to play the multiplayer together, for example. it also allows the user to configure options that are otherwise available only via cfg edits (like anti aliasing, bloom and some more). it also applies some basic fixes to the game levels (fixing stuff like flickering textures, incorrectly placed items and similar), and more.

basically, it's a must have for any modern SS2 installation. as mentioned, the steam release uses it, but in a bad, broken way - most things will work, some will not. and it's hard to provide support for a partially broken version, therefore the situation should be remedied as soon as possible.

there are also legal implications - for example, I've made the misdml files exclusively and only for ss2tool, that means they can only be distributed inside the tool itself. it's not like I'm going to sue anyone, but you get my point - if you want to include someone's work in your release, you need to work things out with him. that will make sure that everything will work properly, if nothing else. also, it's a matter of courtesy.


This. This is what everyone needs to see. PLEASE someone sticky this one post!
Thank you sir. I applaud you
ps47.3dfx May 11, 2013 @ 3:41pm 
will probably make a small FAQ tomorrow and include something similar. maybe I'll cave in and buy the steam version just to have a proper look at all the files, because you know, paying money to be able to help people for free sounds like a sane thing to do, heh.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 156 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: May 11, 2013 @ 12:40pm
Posts: 156