Cranky Cat > General Discussions > Topic Details
Inspiral Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:29am
Unplayable if you struggle with green/blue colour-blindness. [FIXED!]
Yeah, I know what you're thinking, who cares about a few colourbliund gamers? But it's not a 'few': there are hundrds of thousands of colourblind gamers. It would have been easy for the devs to add a colourblind mode (such as the one used in Peggle). Why not add symbols on the bubbles or give is the option to tweak the colour settings? The blue and green bubbles in Cranky Cat are indistinguishable to me and no doubt many other people. Disappointing.

EDIT: The day after I created this post the devs added several features, one of which is an option to add symbols to the bubbles. I am one satisfied customer. :)
Last edited by Inspiral; Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:53pm
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
MarchEntertainment  [developer] Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:01pm 
Hi Inspiral,

Thanks for your input! We did test for colourblindness, but it seems we missed the mark. We apologize for that. We definitely intend to address this in a coming release, either through the use of icons or an adjustment to the colour palette.

- The Cranky Cat Team
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:18pm 
I have no colour-blindness, but i surely appreciate to have icons or ajustement to the colour palette in a such game!
Inspiral Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:40pm 
Originally posted by MarchEntertainment:
Hi Inspiral,

Thanks for your input! We did test for colourblindness, but it seems we missed the mark. We apologize for that. We definitely intend to address this in a coming release, either through the use of icons or an adjustment to the colour palette.

- The Cranky Cat Team

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated. I can give you two examples of games that took different approaches to this issue:
Audiosurf allows the user to 'remix' any of the colours to create a hue that is comfortable.
Peggle had a colourblind mode that added a dinstinctive, highly visible symbols (such as squares, triangles and circles) to each different colour.

Thanks for listening. I feel better already. :)
Jade Starrz Jun 6, 2013 @ 11:01am 
As another color blind gamer it's good to see the Devs listening to us. And to see someone addressing the issue was great, thanks OP!
MarchEntertainment  [developer] Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:06pm 
Hi all,

Try giving Cranky Cat another spin. There's now a "Bubble Icons" switch in the Settings (default is off) which should help players who have colour perception difficulties.

We've added some other improvements based on your suggestions, which we'll soon announce officially!
Jade Starrz Jun 6, 2013 @ 12:53pm 
Originally posted by MarchEntertainment:
Hi all,

Try giving Cranky Cat another spin. There's now a "Bubble Icons" switch in the Settings (default is off) which should help players who have colour perception difficulties.

We've added some other improvements based on your suggestions, which we'll soon announce officially!

Thanks
Slash0mega Jun 12, 2013 @ 6:13pm 
er, you tried to play a puzzle game that relies on color when you are colorblind? also, awsome developer for fixing your issue.
­­Δ👽 Louna 👽Δ­­ Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:49pm 
Originally posted by Slash0mega:
er, you tried to play a puzzle game that relies on color when you are colorblind? also, awsome developer for fixing your issue.

No reason for them to be privated to play it just because of that.
And those days, pretty much all those games have an option to ajust for colourblind peoples!
Inspiral Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:35am 
Originally posted by Slash0mega:
er, you tried to play a puzzle game that relies on color when you are colorblind? also, awsome developer for fixing your issue.

Colourblindness is a curious thing. There's a very narrow range of hues in the green/blue part of the spectrum where I struggle to differentiate between the two colours. Other people have different ranges, and as I said in my original post, colourblind gamers are a sizeable minority (I read one article that suggested as many as 8% of males are affected), so I half-expected to see something in the options menu that would allow me to tailor the game to my needs. The devs were indeed awesome in their response.
Last edited by Inspiral; Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:36am
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50