HeXen: Beyond Heretic

HeXen: Beyond Heretic

kristian0e0kul Jan 29, 2014 @ 7:16am
windows 8 fix
can somone help me to get HeXen: Beyond Heretic to work. id do not work on windows 8.1
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Air Feb 14, 2014 @ 5:46pm 
I'm running it just fine on 8.1. just follow these directions:
*Download GZDoom from here: http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/download.html
*Unzip the GZDoom archive into the \Hexen\base\ folder.
*Delete dosbox.exe from the base folder.
*Rename "gzdoom.exe" to "dosbox.exe".
*Start the game through Steam and select Hexen from the menu that pops up.

After that, you should be good to go. I suggest going into the options and changing your controls and resolution. Also, look for an option named "always mouselook" if you intend on using the mouse to aim.
Last edited by Air; Feb 14, 2014 @ 5:50pm
Pigui Feb 17, 2014 @ 6:23am 
Thanks a lot Air, it work very well !
kristian0e0kul Feb 17, 2014 @ 7:00am 
thx
[Tx3]Mooshramboo May 21, 2014 @ 5:05pm 
Where would I find the Hexen Base file? I can't seem to find it.
Air May 21, 2014 @ 5:08pm 
Originally posted by Tx3Mooshramboo:
Where would I find the Hexen Base file? I can't seem to find it.
It's right there in the Hexen folder within you Steam\steamapps foler.
[Tx3]Mooshramboo May 21, 2014 @ 5:11pm 
Ok. Still can't find it though. I'll keep searching.
[Tx3]Mooshramboo May 22, 2014 @ 7:30pm 
So I followed this and now it won't even launch. lol What happened?
Kasper Med Hat May 29, 2014 @ 12:25am 
I'm on Windows 8.1, and none of these solutions seemed to work for me. Instead I went to the Hexen base folder (steam/steamapps/common/hexen/base) and clicked on dosbox.exe. This will launch the game without any problems.

Steam should be ashamed of themselves for consistently selling games without making sure that the customers can actually play them.

I guess the lesson is: don't buy old games on Steam.
AnnieJ Nov 16, 2015 @ 12:50pm 
i replaced dosbox with the gzdoom linked above and it worked in windows 8

it brought up a box to choose which dos game to play, which was kind of weird, because i have several on steam, but it worked on all of them
kristian0e0kul Nov 16, 2015 @ 1:03pm 
ok than you
gintama11 Nov 28, 2015 @ 11:39am 
Originally posted by Breaker Morant:
I'm on Windows 8.1, and none of these solutions seemed to work for me. Instead I went to the Hexen base folder (steam/steamapps/common/hexen/base) and clicked on dosbox.exe. This will launch the game without any problems.

Steam should be ashamed of themselves for consistently selling games without making sure that the customers can actually play them.

I guess the lesson is: don't buy old games on Steam.

I know that feel, guys. I could not even launch the expansion packs for Quake II.
Originally posted by AnnieJ:
i replaced dosbox with the gzdoom linked above and it worked in windows 8

it brought up a box to choose which dos game to play, which was kind of weird, because i have several on steam, but it worked on all of them

That's why GOG is awesome against Steam when it comes to old games. Because they make sure their games can run on your system. Usually with minimal problems.

I may have gotten the Quake and Heretic series on Steam. But I'm saving Doom for when it goes on sale again on GOG.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 15 30 50