Rudy Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:02pm
Update?
It's downloading a 2,2 GB update. I wonder what it could be :o
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
iSmile02 Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:04pm 
Mm, I got the update too.
Rudy Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:05pm 
Originally posted by iSmile02:
Mm, I got the update too.
When I realise it now, 2,2 GB, that's bigger than the size of the mod itself.
Last edited by Rudy; Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:05pm
aiusepsi Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
Minerva just got pushed over to SteamPipe. The way it's set up means it has to have a separate copy of the Ep1 content, which is probably why it's so large.
Rudy Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:12pm 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
Minerva just got pushed over to SteamPipe. The way it's set up means it has to have a separate copy of the Ep1 content, which is probably why it's so large.
But that method is ridiculous. I have serveral mods that got broken with the SteamPipe update working again by just adding some paths to the Episode 1 content in the mods' gameinfo.txt file. Isn't SteamPipe designed to make content distribution easier for mods instead of just make every mod having the content within it?
Last edited by Rudy; Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:14pm
Bet Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:21pm 
Originally posted by Rudy:
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
Minerva just got pushed over to SteamPipe. The way it's set up means it has to have a separate copy of the Ep1 content, which is probably why it's so large.
But that method is ridiculous. I have serveral mods that got broken with the SteamPipe update working again by just adding some paths to the Episode 1 content in the mods' gameinfo.txt file. Isn't SteamPipe designed to make content distribution easier for mods instead of just make every mod having the content within it?
Sometimes the course of treatment is more painful than the disease, Doctor. In the end, the result is worth the extra anguish... usually.

Looks like we might need to add those paths to the gameinfo.txt file in this case as well.
Last edited by Bet; Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:22pm
aiusepsi Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:22pm 
The content is all set up differently between Minerva and Episode 1 proper. Episode 1 is now a native VPK game on a new 2013 Source engine branch, sharing a single install with HL2, etc.

Minerva still expects to be running on a vintage 2007 Source engine, so it needs to load content from an emulated Steam2 GCF filesystem (which is implemented by reading files from some specially formatted VPKs, but the game still thinks it's reading the old GCFs)

Trying to square that circle is just going to be very painful and error-prone. This way is the least bad option. The optimal thing to do would be for Minerva to port to 2013 and go native VPK too, but that's unlikely to happen.
Rudy Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:23pm 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
The content is all set up differently between Minerva and Episode 1 proper. Episode 1 is now a native VPK game on a new 2013 Source engine branch, sharing a single install with HL2, etc.

Minerva still expects to be running on a vintage 2007 Source engine, so it needs to load content from an emulated Steam2 GCF filesystem (which is implemented by reading files from some specially formatted VPKs, but the game still thinks it's reading the old GCFs)

Trying to square that circle is just going to be very painful and error-prone. This way is the least bad option. The optimal thing to do would be for Minerva to port to 2013 and go native VPK too, but that's unlikely to happen.
Well I'd love to see that last option happen, because now I'm feeling this is a waste of space..
Undead Sunbro Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:24pm 
Tried running it after update, some text file missing from the hl2 folder or something so it wouldn't play. Uninstalled and waiting to reinstall to see whether or not Steam just broke it.
Zekiran Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:28pm 
Great. Modifying a game that was playable to be unplayable to the tune of 2 gigs of space? Jesus Steam. I thought this was supposed to be better.
Bet Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by Rent Is Too Damn High:
Tried running it after update, some text file missing from the hl2 folder or something so it wouldn't play. Uninstalled and waiting to reinstall to see whether or not Steam just broke it.
missing gameinfo.txt from minerva\hl2

copied gameinfo from minerva\metastasis seems the obvious solution, I think this is where Rudy meant changing paths is necessary. Looking.

Got it to launch without error but it doesn't actually launch, it just idles in the background with a full core grinding on a .dll like a normal failed to launch problem game...

This has a simple solution. Anyone remember it offhand?
aiusepsi Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
Copied and pasted from the other thread: Oops, looks like they didn't add the game parameter to the launch options. Go to the properties, general tab, set launch options, and add "-game metastasis" without the quotes. It should work then. Can't test it myself, alas, haven't got a Windows machine to hand.
Last edited by aiusepsi; Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:36pm
Duppolo Oct 21, 2013 @ 2:37pm 
its happening?!?
AYKO Oct 21, 2013 @ 3:00pm 
Originally posted by Duppolo:
its happening?!?

No.
subatomic09 Oct 21, 2013 @ 3:05pm 
I've been trying to download MINERVA for 3 days now, but getting the "No Steam content server configured..." error until today. Finally downloaded it, and at launch I got the "Setup file 'gameinfo.txt' doesn't exist in subdirectory 'hl2'. Check your -game parameter or VCONFIG setting." error. Added "-game metastasis" to my launch parameters as per aiusepsi's suggestion, and now I'm getting a "Cannot load library client" error.

I'm glad I found this thread, because at least it clears up that this all seems to be a problem caused by moving MINERVA to Steampipe. What's the fix?
Pert Boioioing Oct 21, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
Hey subatomic, no fix as of yet. The forced update today just broke the game with the same errors you're getting. I've had the game working fine for weeks, but now it won't.
Showing 1-15 of 33 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50