M.D. Chaos Jan 28 @ 4:01pm
check out this review of the game
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
nop_jne Jan 28 @ 8:29pm 
Hey, I just finished reading it. Since this is your first MG I'll cut you some slack :) However I did want to note that the story in this game is very linear and predictable compared to previous metal gears. And they all have bat-sh!t insane stories, which is a good thing really.

You are however complaining about the controls, which don't seem to trouble people that complete revengeance difficulty on S rank. My take on that is, that it should be a challenge and if you don't want to do the higher difficulties there is no real reason to anyway. The game just caters to your masochistic tendencies and it does it well, otherwise everyone would have stopped playing after completing the game on easy.

You can stealth insta-kill pretty much every enemy in the game, and there are only a handful of unavoidable battles.

Being the sword fighting game that it is, I really think the game shines. As you noted it may remind you of Force Unleashed which is a great game too, but the StarWars storyline is hardly anything that will activate new braincells since we all know it already. But in contrast to SW, MGR has no force powers which really makes you focus on the blade action and technique. And they actually have a good reason for you sword not just cutting through everything... which there isn't for a light-sabre.
Another thing is that Jack looks way cooler than StarKiller, and what kind of name is StarKiller anyway :)

Comparison aside.

I think the overall score of 6 is a way too low.. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.
Last edited by nop_jne; Jan 28 @ 8:30pm
M.D. Chaos Jan 28 @ 8:59pm 
Originally posted by nop_jne:
Hey, I just finished reading it. Since this is your first MG I'll cut you some slack :) However I did want to note that the story in this game is very linear and predictable compared to previous metal gears. And they all have bat-sh!t insane stories, which is a good thing really.

You are however complaining about the controls, which don't seem to trouble people that complete revengeance difficulty on S rank. My take on that is, that it should be a challenge and if you don't want to do the higher difficulties there is no real reason to anyway. The game just caters to your masochistic tendencies and it does it well, otherwise everyone would have stopped playing after completing the game on easy.

You can stealth insta-kill pretty much every enemy in the game, and there are only a handful of unavoidable battles.

Being the sword fighting game that it is, I really think the game shines. As you noted it may remind you of Force Unleashed which is a great game too, but the StarWars storyline is hardly anything that will activate new braincells since we all know it already. But in contrast to SW, MGR has no force powers which really makes you focus on the blade action and technique. And they actually have a good reason for you sword not just cutting through everything... which there isn't for a light-sabre.
Another thing is that Jack looks way cooler than StarKiller, and what kind of name is StarKiller anyway :)

Comparison aside.

I think the overall score of 6 is a way too low.. I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.
I agree with what you said
Spawk Jan 28 @ 11:30pm 
You seem rather biased in this review, and you're going all over the place. First the game's loaded with fake difficulty, and the parry system that should reward skill is a bold faced lie, then you draw comparisons between this game's parry system and that of Kingdom Hearts (what?), and then it's suddenly 'easy to learn, challenging to complete, and difficult to fully master, a balance that not many games are very good at pulling off'. Does not compute.

You're complaining mainly about the 'awkward control setup' and the parry system. That's where easy mode comes in, where you don't have to hold a direction and just spam attacks to parry. Basically your frustration is the same frustration many professional reviewers have; not being very good at the game because you've only played for a short time. You don't even mention the upgrade and unlockable move system, the stealth mechanics or the VR missions.

Also, saying 'I really don’t care about resolution caps, texture quality, level of detail you can add to the game, or even if the framerate is capped at 30/60/whatever fps. All I really care about is “Can I play this with the Keyboard and Mouse effectively?” If yes, it’s a good port in my books.' does not do much for your credibility, as you are basically not addressing technical features or shortcomings of the game, something people do expect in a review, and saying that anti Aliasing or ansiotropic (sic) filtering are two settings that do absolutely nothing is just factually wrong and makes you come across as uninformed.
Last edited by Spawk; Jan 29 @ 12:32am
JinNJuice Jan 29 @ 2:43am 
What did you guys expect from a Tumblr page? If you wanted legitimate reviews, go look at YouTubers.
Cloymax Jan 29 @ 5:16am 
I love the fact that you rat on the game for having "fake difficulty" and then rat on the parry, blaming the engine for your lack of ability with it. no, it works perfectly.

otherwise, good review.
sebby Jan 29 @ 10:43am 
Reviews like this makes make me lol. You say the game would be fine as a port if it was capped at 30 fps. I mean there are people who think it's ok to play an action game at 30 fps. Well, i should have stopped reading here but i continued.

You say the control setup is messed up, i tend to disagree it is easy, the direction of parry doesn't need to be precise and the block window lasts a loongg time. It is 100% fine.

You also say it stunlocks you resulting in cheap deaths. Unless you play on revengeance difficulty nothing can outright kill you because getting health back is made super easy (nano, zandatsu) and ennemies don't do enough damage to kill you quick. The game rewards you for taking the most annoying targets first (guys with rocket launchers). You shouldn't get stunlocked if there aren't rockets flying on you.

Larger ennemies can be used exploiting the ia. Huh they all have huge tells on all their moves, they glow orange or red and you parry and dodge as in every other game.

Never mind this you didn't bother to list the actual real issues with the game. The camera being annoying if you stand near a wall, the dissapeareance of minimap and lack of camera control while performing a zandatsu etc...
himohillo Jan 29 @ 11:12am 
After reading the first part, the guy lost all his credibility.
Scariesta 45 Jan 29 @ 1:08pm 
Originally posted by some idiot:
Anti Aliasing or Ansiotropic filtering (two settings that do absolutely nothing) or even if the framerate is capped at 30/60/whatever fps.

Both those features have very significant affects on the way the game renders. And as for fps that completely changes how the game functions and operates.

Originally posted by same idiot:
From The Force Unleased to DmC to Dark Souls, it seems that whenever a game developer wants to up the difficulty without doing any actual work they just load enemies up with stagger and knockdown effects. Going up against larger enemies will result in a spamming of knockdown and stun effects, and some bosses seem to rely on this tactic as well. This will undoubtedly lead to a lot of cheap deaths and each player will quickly learn their own cheap tactic for dealing with these enemies.

You have invincibility frames once you get knocked down... The point of getting knocked down isn't for "difficulty" it's because usually knockdown moves will end with a recovery animation. If you're down the enemy is basically taunting you. If you avoided it properly you're rewarded with time to deal damage freely. (Like how sam blows on his sword to cool it off whenever he uses a gun sheathe attack.) As for stun, it's caused when you get hit too many times in quick succession or get launched into a wall without recovering before impact. Again, it's because you're playing poorly, not because the game is "cheap". The only stun move in the game that doesn't work that way is the raptor's emp wave which is easily avoided because it has a long tell for it.

Originally posted by this guy...:
The Parry move does not have it’s own dedicated button. Instead it’s the same button as the primary attack button. Pressing it and a directional button in the direction of an oncoming attack will ready a parry. Unfortunately because of the setup of the controls, the engine has a serious problem determining what is a parry and what is an attack. So if more than one attack in a row is coming at you, there’s going to be a serious issue with chaining parries, and you’re likely to take damage. This can be a big issue in parry reliant bosses like Sam or Monsoon, where parrying multiple attacks in quick succession is required to fight them.

Okay, "the setup of the controls" ...what? it's a face button and pressing the stick forward. It registers fine and any failure to function has nothing to do with "the engine" it's just your own incompetence. As for how you chain parries, you just do it again, the same way you did. You must let go of the stick it has to be pressed forward at the same time. Much like in dark souls, you do the same for a lunge attack or a kick. So there you go DSP, now you know.

P.S. it's not the same button as the primary attack it's the same button as the primary attack it's the light attack button which is supplementary for combos and never is the starter for them except for the launcher.

Originally posted by stupidface mcgee:
I’m told that this is to reward skill and require players to learn the technique and master it. But that’s a bold faced lie. Most people understand the parry the instant they’re taught it. It’s a kind of parry we’ve seen before, where timing is everything. But because of the awkward control setup, the timing of the parry is made doubly frustrating by simply trying to correctly pull off the button combination and hoping the engine doesn’t get confused along the way. Pulling off the parry move is not part of any challenge. Timing the parry is the challenge. Actually getting Raiden to do the parry move should be the simple, intuitive part.

1) The controls are not awkward, a face button for an attack/block in an action game is second nature.

2) It's not the engine, it's you. The timing is incredibly easy, the only timing issue you might have will be doing a parry counter. But even that's easy if you're playing normal which you probably were for your first and only ignorant playthrough of engine blame.

And lemme just re-quote here:

Originally posted by contradiction mcgee:
Pulling off the parry move is not part of any challenge. Timing the parry is the challenge. Actually getting Raiden to do the parry move should be the simple, intuitive part.

Three sentences, let's break them down

1: doing the parry is easy
2: it's the timing that's hard (this contradicts the complaining you were just doing)
3: I can't do the parry easily (this contradicts sentence #1)

Originally posted by epitome of incompetence:
Thankfully, dodging is somewhat easier on PC, as the Dodge move get’s it’s own dedicated button (where as on consoles it requires pressing two buttons at the same time along with moving the analog stick). And some bosses, like the previously mentioned Monsoon, are made significantly easier by this addition in the PC version.

No, you use a controller for an action game. You use keyboards for shooters. That's why the pc market is dominated by them. Also the dodge move is easy as well, you're still just incompetent. And no boss fight is made easier by this change either, as they still weren't that hard to begin with.

This was a terrible review. I don't think this was platinum's greatest game by any means but this person's understanding of it is so inept it's not even funny.
Last edited by Scariesta 45; Jan 29 @ 1:10pm
Teufel9000 Jan 29 @ 3:00pm 
Originally posted by himohillo:
After reading the first part, the guy lost all his credibility.
felt the same.
strops™ Jan 29 @ 5:08pm 
if they cant make a game work as it should using keyboard and mouse on a pc platform then well they should just make console games cause pc comes with keyboard and mouse when u buy a pc not a controller consoles have controllers.. pfft spend $30 on a game oonly to have to go out to spend another $40+ for a controller cause the devs are fuked and couldnt do a proper keyboard/mouse port for a pc that comes with keyboard/mouse..
M.D. Chaos Jan 29 @ 5:14pm 
Originally posted by ={Utmost}=Terrorist™:
if they cant make a game work as it should using keyboard and mouse on a pc platform then well they should just make console games cause pc comes with keyboard and mouse when u buy a pc not a controller consoles have controllers.. pfft spend $30 on a game oonly to have to go out to spend another $40+ for a controller cause the devs are fuked and couldnt do a proper keyboard/mouse port for a pc that comes with keyboard/mouse..
the keyboard and mouse controls for revengence are good and work fine.
strops™ Jan 29 @ 5:19pm 
Originally posted by Cyborg Immortal Mercenary:
Originally posted by ={Utmost}=Terrorist™:
if they cant make a game work as it should using keyboard and mouse on a pc platform then well they should just make console games cause pc comes with keyboard and mouse when u buy a pc not a controller consoles have controllers.. pfft spend $30 on a game oonly to have to go out to spend another $40+ for a controller cause the devs are fuked and couldnt do a proper keyboard/mouse port for a pc that comes with keyboard/mouse..
the keyboard and mouse controls for revengence are good and work fine.
yeh sorry i ment the camera side of it with keyboard.mouse camera is ♥♥♥♥ need to be fixed they could of made it so the camera follows him always that way u wont and to ♥♥♥♥ around by moving it all the time.
M.D. Chaos Jan 29 @ 5:37pm 
Originally posted by ={Utmost}=Terrorist™:
Originally posted by Cyborg Immortal Mercenary:
the keyboard and mouse controls for revengence are good and work fine.
yeh sorry i ment the camera side of it with keyboard.mouse camera is ♥♥♥♥ need to be fixed they could of made it so the camera follows him always that way u wont and to ♥♥♥♥ around by moving it all the time.
the camera is fine for most of the time yeah not gonna lie that the camera can get odd in places.
Bhaalspawn Jan 30 @ 7:46am 
I love how you guys are all ♥♥♥♥♥ing about a review of a game that amounts to "There are some control issues and typical Action game annoyances, but it's still damn awesome, so go buy it."
Spawk Jan 30 @ 7:51am 
Originally posted by Bhaalspawn:
I love how you guys are all ♥♥♥♥♥ing about a review of a game that amounts to "There are some control issues and typical Action game annoyances, but it's still damn awesome, so go buy it."
He asked for feedback. Also, that is not what his review boiled down to.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 28 @ 4:01pm
Posts: 21