crua9 May 12, 2014 @ 5:32am
How big can you make a prision before the game crashes
I was wondering, how big can you make a prision (in size and amount of people) before the game crashes
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
elS3xM0nk <3 May 12, 2014 @ 5:38am 
i guess that also depends on your computer, more ram, vram and ram means more gaming p p p p p p power.
crua9 May 12, 2014 @ 5:43am 
This is a 32 bit game, so there is a limit.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about with the 32 B. Programs that are 32 B (which this game is) can only use about 3 GB of memory. These programs tend to have some GB of buffer, so it's more like 2 GB.
However, 64 B programs doesn't have a limit to how much memory it could use.

Most programs can get away with being 32B. However, creative programs like screen recorders and some games (KSP, this, and some other creative games) can't.
BTW, I'm not trying to push for the game to be a 64 B game. I'm just trying to figure out the limit.
Last edited by crua9; May 12, 2014 @ 12:23pm
battlepriestone May 12, 2014 @ 6:40am 
On my mac mini it starts crashing a lot around 500 people.
Darak May 12, 2014 @ 10:34am 
I've heard of prisons upwards to 2k.

my largest is my current at 240, I have plans for atleast 600 before starting over, so we'll see :)

If anyone likes, i can post my specs later. I do know it's an i5-3570k @ 4.2 (my OC is broke :( ), 8 gb ram, a 7950...for what it's worth, but the rest i'd have to look up, and i'd fall asleep before that happened :3
Last edited by Darak; May 12, 2014 @ 10:36am
Emmote May 12, 2014 @ 11:35am 
Largest I've ever built and had the patience to sustain and finish was 1200 capacity. I could probably run more, but it slows down so much it gets really tedious really quickly.
crua9 May 12, 2014 @ 12:20pm 
I've had problems with 1k. Also, I've had crashing (I don't think this has to do with the 32 B) when I have a lot going on in 4 or 5 blocks (the area you buy and/or start with).

BTW @darak, it's pretty easy to find what you have if you're on a Windows. Just go to control panel>system and security>system. Your graphics card is under the device manager.
bor3d May 12, 2014 @ 5:31pm 
Originally posted by Emmote:
Largest I've ever built and had the patience to sustain and finish was 1200 capacity. I could probably run more, but it slows down so much it gets really tedious really quickly.
If any one wants to see how these very large prisons would run on your own computer here is a great prison for testing http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=255397041
Darak May 12, 2014 @ 8:21pm 
Originally posted by crua9:
I've had problems with 1k. Also, I've had crashing (I don't think this has to do with the 32 B) when I have a lot going on in 4 or 5 blocks (the area you buy and/or start with).

BTW @darak, it's pretty easy to find what you have if you're on a Windows. Just go to control panel>system and security>system. Your graphics card is under the device manager.

thanks! :) but yea, my issue was i was falling asleep in my chair, had just got home from work and hadn't slept in bout 20 hours :3

I'll test that prison bor3d posted :D
They_Live_We_Sleep May 13, 2014 @ 1:52am 
I got up to 220 prisoners before it started crashing every few minutes.
crua9 May 13, 2014 @ 4:53am 
Originally posted by Kazoo_Of_Boxcat:
I got up to 220 prisoners before it started crashing every few minutes.

How much land did you use?
CONAN_Fabrice May 13, 2014 @ 6:04am 
If we have more options, we could make it run smoother.
I think that shadows are useless and so pretty ugly, so I wish you could remove them, making in the meantime, more graphpower to save.
DigitalInvestor May 13, 2014 @ 6:12am 
And here's me thinking my 110-person prison was pretty impressive. 1000+ lol.
DigitalImpostor May 13, 2014 @ 6:40am 
Originally posted by CONAN_Fabrice:
If we have more options, we could make it run smoother.
I think that shadows are useless and so pretty ugly, so I wish you could remove them, making in the meantime, more graphpower to save.
The graphics chip can't be used to help out the CPU when saving the game.
=PHX= Karma Lizard May 13, 2014 @ 6:16pm 
I think my biggest has around 270 (rough estimate) people and had no crashing yet. Not sure if it is a medium or large map, probably large but not 100% on that. The 270 includes stafff, a lot of staff.
Darak May 13, 2014 @ 8:38pm 
I ran that map that bor3d posted. It took a few minutes to load, then was very choppy, like...maybe 1 fps. But, after the flashies (water, power, the red ! over cells) went away, It was quite smooth, skipping a frame every bout 5 seconds. I imagine I could get up to bout 1500 before it becomes unplayable.
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 12, 2014 @ 5:32am
Posts: 15