ziggystardst May 10 @ 2:47pm
(Help) Carpentry Apprentice
So my inmates won't do the carpentry apprentice program.
I saw similar threads where the problem was that inmates wouldn't go but at least they showed up as yellow in the program sheet, in my case even that doesn't happen. The squares are just light grey, as if nobody wanted to join.

I have a foreman (he is free).
Work schedules are set correctly.
Interested/qualified number for carpentry apprentice is 12+
Workshop has at least 5 carpenter tables (all set apart of each other and apart from walls, just in case)
I have forestry and some logs and wood are stationed in the workshop.
Workshop is set as shared.

I don't know what more to try, or what could be the problem, any help will be greatly apreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Darth Fish May 10 @ 3:43pm 
With all programs you do not just start them and leave them running.

Stop any empty (light grey) programs.

Wait until it says below them that 1 or ideally more inmates are interested in that program.

Then START the program and you will see the black squares indicating the number of active inmates on that program and a red line which indicates the progress of the course.

At the end it will tell you how many have failed.

Then stop the program. Wait until some inmates are interested. Start it again. Repeat....

Hope that helps
Last edited by Darth Fish; May 10 @ 3:43pm
Emmote May 10 @ 3:53pm 
Darth, I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of rubbish I've read on here in a while. You shouldn't ever need to stop and start the programs.

I have 100+ day prisons and I've not once had to stop and start any program once it's been setup.

If you have to constantly stop and start your programs, then you're probably doing something wrong that draws out this kind of bug.
Last edited by Emmote; May 10 @ 4:00pm
Ensign May 10 @ 4:11pm 
Gotta give darth a break this is alpha. I have 2 dead teachers who slide off morge slabs and slide off the hearse that comes to pick them up. No matter what i do they slide off the hearse and i will forever have two gaurds on permanent corpse duty. Apparently my teaches when the day is done never end up leaving the classroom until i manually tell them to leave. If they die then they become slidy corpses that wont sit still in slabs or hearse. Did i do something wrong? Ofcourse not.

Now to OP. The only thing i can recommend (since im running a 240+max sec prison with several carpenters already working) is to doublecheck and see if you can assign people to work in your workshop. Perhaps there is a open wall in your workshop disableing it from being worked in or taught in.
Darth Fish May 10 @ 5:25pm 
Originally posted by Emmote:
Darth, I'm sorry, but that's the biggest load of rubbish I've read on here in a while. You shouldn't ever need to stop and start the programs.

There is a red line which indicates the progress of each "course". The little squares indicate the number of desks/benches in the allotted room, with black squares being active pupils and light grey empty.

Given the progress bar prisoners cannot just join a course at any point such as the last day and pass. The prisoners in that class are selected when it starts so it stands to reason to wait until there are a reasonable number interested (e.g. 5,8,10 or more) before starting the course otherwise it will mean a whole room is being taken up by just 1 or 2 pupils.

I micromanage the courses so I don't need loads of classrooms or run programs with only 1 or 2 pupils. If I have 10 prisoners interested in a course and only a few on it I may stop that current one if it is not too advanced and restart it to take advantage of the current prisoner interest level.

This way I can "rush" certain qualifications having multiple courses on the same subject running at the same time in different rooms which is useful if you have a deficiency in a certain area such as the kitchen or to achieve the grant requirement for foundation, etc.

You may have built rooms to cover all the programs and just press start for each one so they then operate on a loop.

I don't know and frankly given your tone I don't care but may I suggest going into the game and having a good look at the program system before slagging something off as rubbish.
Last edited by Darth Fish; May 10 @ 5:26pm
ziggystardst May 11 @ 3:05am 
Originally posted by Darth Fish:
With all programs you do not just start them and leave them running.

Stop any empty (light grey) programs.

Wait until it says below them that 1 or ideally more inmates are interested in that program.

Then START the program and you will see the black squares indicating the number of active inmates on that program and a red line which indicates the progress of the course.

At the end it will tell you how many have failed.

Then stop the program. Wait until some inmates are interested. Start it again. Repeat....

Hope that helps :guard:

It's not that, I tried stopping and restarting, to see if it was just buggy, nothing changed. Tried it several times actually, leaving time to let the number of interested/qualified inmates change before restarting (again, to see if it was just some weird bug), nothing happened. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your response, every idea is appreciated.
ziggystardst May 11 @ 3:11am 
Originally posted by Ensign:
Gotta give darth a break this is alpha. I have 2 dead teachers who slide off morge slabs and slide off the hearse that comes to pick them up. No matter what i do they slide off the hearse and i will forever have two gaurds on permanent corpse duty. Apparently my teaches when the day is done never end up leaving the classroom until i manually tell them to leave. If they die then they become slidy corpses that wont sit still in slabs or hearse. Did i do something wrong? Ofcourse not.

Now to OP. The only thing i can recommend (since im running a 240+max sec prison with several carpenters already working) is to doublecheck and see if you can assign people to work in your workshop. Perhaps there is a open wall in your workshop disableing it from being worked in or taught in.

Workshop is fine, I can assign workers without trouble. Thanks anyways Ensign.
About your buggy trouble, this is a long shot but what happens if you demolish your morgue? I never tried it but maybe it then treats your corpses as garbage and then you can dispose them. Don't know, worth the try maybe.
ziggystardst May 11 @ 11:56am 
Bump. Any other ideas?
Ensign May 11 @ 2:20pm 
Originally posted by ziggystardst:
what happens if you demolish your morgue? I never tried it but maybe it then treats your corpses as garbage and then you can dispose them. Don't know, worth the try maybe.

I tried that, i unroomed the morgue, i replaced the slabs, i even demolished the very foundations of the morge. I still notice that everyday teachers dont leave my prison when they come in to work in the morning they just sit there, go to the break room and go back to sitting there. I gotta manually move them for them to leave. If they die? Bam! Their corpse also never leaves.

If nothing else atleast my post serves as a bump for your problem but im guessing ur problem is much like mine, we just stumbled on a very rare bug. May as well just move on to another prison. Its not so bad losing a prison anyway. I mean the game updates every month so we could only play these prisons for 20ish more real life days anyway.
lav666 May 11 @ 3:25pm 
I have the carpentry program running but it happens after the basic safety course. I assume because the forman can only do one at a time. To make this work the prison regime has a 4 hour work block in it which I set for other reasons but kept as it accommodates both programs nicely. Any spare slots in the workshop are filled with working prisoners which brings in a little extra cash also.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: May 10 @ 2:47pm
Posts: 9