Posted: December 20
Well the game is not bad but it could have been done better, that's fore sure. If you want the REAL CoH experience, I advise you to buy the first one with the expansions. Yes, I did not spell it wrong, E-X-P-A-N-S-I-O-N-S. There are some great mods out there that can make that experience even better. Actually, most features that are told be an improvement in CoH2 over CoH1 can be found in the mods, like taking cover behind vehicles, locking a tank to face a specified direction etc.
Unit choices are not that great IMO, the card and commander system was completely taken over from the free version of CoH1 where they had RPG elements built in like custom tech trees, unit cards etc. Most commanders are quite useless, I always find myself playing the same three or two, so, to me at least, the whole system is worthless and just a pain in the ♥♥♥. It's OK to give the community freedom in their loadout choices but it's just too much for this kind of a game.
The most upsetting thing about this game is the DLC policy, there's a load of 'em and most of them are completely useless, still you've got the feeling that you don't own the game as a whole.
All in all:
- The game is not bad, but there's hardly any impovement over the vanilla or modded CoH1 experience.
- Better graphics but poorly optimalised, and the "old" engine was just fine.
- Too many DLCs for my taste.
- Modding and community workshop finally got a green light so that's a good thing to mention.
- I tried to love it but I just can't. It does not reaches up to the previous game.
Buy CoH1, it's still not dead, or if you want this game, at least wait for a big discount (60-80%).