Posted: December 7, 2013
Shootmania Storm is a game of it's own. Unlike the almost identical modern day FPS games, Shootmania takes a whole different turn on FPS videogames. It's almost like a future sport, with all the elements of an FPS, including intense battles, faced paced gameplay and parkour based controls. The game's action packed gameplay varies over a scale of over a dozen fun online gamemodes ranging from team based modes such as Elite and Combo, or intense solo competitions such as Royal, where you have to be the last man standing out of 20 players. The game also features a good matchmaking system. as a beginner, you can choose a server with players at your level. Also you cannot access servers with better ranked players until you have enough Skill Points, so this helps to keep the beginners and advanced players seperated, making for even and balanced matches. One of the best parts about Shootmania though is that it is very easy to pick up and learn. The game features simple, straightforward controls and rather than having complicated classes or weapon loadouts like in games like COD, you can just jump in the action and play. Mastering it though is the hard part. Also another good attribute about Shootmania is that the weapons are limited. (theres only 4 weapons in the game) This means that everybody is equal since everybody has access to only those 4 weapons, meaning that it comes down to skill, not the weapons used. However mastering all the weapons is quite difficult, as they all have their advantages and disadvantages. The last thing thats great about Shootmania is that it is based on the ManiaPlanet engine. This allows people to create their own maps, title packs, character skins and more. Overall Shootmania Storm is a great game that deverses more credit than it currently gets.
- When ran on max settings, the game looks great with realistic textures, shadows, and character models. Also the game has some stunning locations that include nice visuals from underground caves, to medival castles.
- Features realistic sounds and a nice soundtrack. Would be nice to have a bigger soundtrack though.
- The overall gameplay is fast paced and intense. It is also easy to pick up and learn. I find the thing that makes it unique and quite entertaining is the parkour based gameplay. Expect big jumps, slides, wall jumps and other cool moves thats can be used at your disposal. Also it is an easy game for a beginner player to pick up and learn.
- The game features over a dozen fun online gamemodes. Also downloadable title packs such as Invasion are available. On the downside, most gamemodes have no lobbys or players since its not a very well known game
Fun Factor: 8.5/10
- If you're good at fast paced FPS games you'll love it and have countless hours of fun. On the other hand, if you're not good at it you're likely to rage quit. Overall very fun game
Overall: 8.1/10 or 81%
- Great game
Pros: Great game for people that like a fast paced, adrenaline pumping shooter. Variety of fun online gamemodes. ManiaPlanet game engine allows players to create and share maps and other things such as character skins, map packs and more. Also I like the parkour style gameplay too.
Cons: Not a very well known game,most gamemodes have no lobbys or players ingame. No single player campaign. Limited soundtrack.
What Could Be Improved: It would be nice to see a single player campaign and character customization. Could feature a longer soundtrack. Also it would nice to see a greater variety of weapons and to be able to see the weapon in the corner of the screen like in games like COD. (after all it is an FPS)
Verdict: Fast paced, parkour based FPS delivers great results. Must buy for anybody who loves fast paced FPS games or for people who are looking for something different.