SeriousCat Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:58pm
Enhanced Edition Extremely Buggy Compared to Original Version
Is it just me, or is the Enhanced Edition extremely buggy. I've completed the original edition over 14 times (please don't laugh, this game is that good), yet I've never experienced a single bug. With the Enhanced Edition, I'm facing numerous game breaking bugs every half hour. Without the CLUA Console for debugging, the game is virtually unplayable. After finishing the Candlekeep Catacombs, you can no longer advance the game using any method, including the CLUA Console.

Beamdog has done an extremely poor job of bringing Baldur's Gate to the new engine, and it's absolutely shameless of them to charge people money for introducing dozens of new game breaking bugs into the game. Do not purchase the Beamdog verison. Do NOT purchase the Beamdog version.

You can purchase a working copy of Baldur's Gate from Good Old Games (GOG[www.gog.com]), and enable widescreen using the Gibberlings 3 Widescreen Mod (Gibberlings 3[www.gibberlings3.net]).

Major Bugs
• Can't enter Cloakwood or Cloakwood Mines (Ch. 4)
• Can't enter Baldur's Gate (Ch. 5)
• Can't enter Candlekeep (Ch. 6)
• Can't enter Ulgoth's Beard (TOTSC expansion)
• Can't use switch on engine in Durlag's Tower (Basement 2)
• Can't enter Durlag's Tower (Basement 3)
• Can't give History of the Nether Scrolls to Keeper of the Portal (Ch. 6)
• Half of completed quests not triggered as completed in Journal

Minor Bugs
• Map scrolling occassionally becomes disabled
• Character sprite disappears when entangled from Web
Last edited by SeriousCat; Oct 14, 2013 @ 5:42am
Showing 1-15 of 59 comments
< >
Y2Kiro Oct 8, 2013 @ 10:11pm 
i have experienced none of those bugs i feel bad for you man
Junkhead Oct 8, 2013 @ 10:32pm 
I'm not far along but I've experienced the broken 1st quest, fetching the scroll (not a good 1st impression). Then I walked into a random room where 10 monsters were already around me and they just layed into us like a turkey on thanksgiving. Mind you, this was about 2 screens outside of the starting town after beginning a new game. I haven't been able to duplicate it.
SeriousCat Oct 8, 2013 @ 10:37pm 
Originally posted by Junkhead:
I'm not far along but I've experienced the broken 1st quest, fetching the scroll (not a good 1st impression). Then I walked into a random room where 10 monsters were already around me and they just layed into us like a turkey on thanksgiving. Mind you, this was about 2 screens outside of the starting town after beginning a new game. I haven't been able to duplicate it.

Oh. My. God.
Fluke Oct 8, 2013 @ 11:01pm 
To the op,

Have you opened the chest in the bandit camp and if so what was in it, the main tent main chest.
Rimbo Oct 8, 2013 @ 11:02pm 
Haven't experienced any of those but a few bugs here and there, nothing too serious.
Lusingo Oct 8, 2013 @ 11:33pm 
Have you guys lost mouse support when playing chapt.1 of game? Is there a fix?
GKL206 Oct 9, 2013 @ 12:44am 
Your'e not supposed to enter Cloakwood or Baldur's Gate until your'e far enough along in the plot... You must have completed the Bandit Camp to progress past Cloakwood 1 and have completed Cloakwood Mines before entering Baldur's Gate.
Last edited by GKL206; Oct 9, 2013 @ 12:45am
SeriousCat Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:13am 
Originally posted by GKL206:
Your'e not supposed to enter Cloakwood or Baldur's Gate until your'e far enough along in the plot... You must have completed the Bandit Camp to progress past Cloakwood 1 and have completed Cloakwood Mines before entering Baldur's Gate.

I already have. You might have noticed in the post I mentioned I've finished this game over 14 times, after which I stopped counting. I think I know how the plot goes.

-.-
GKL206 Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:30am 
I still think the most likely cause is you're rushing through and missing a key trigger: not opening a chest or speaking to someone you should speak to. It's the commonest cause of someone experiencing a "bug" which doesn't happen to other people. I wrecked one game for myself by rushing through the poisoning quest in Baldur's Gate, missing out a dialogue and being unable to obtain the cure.
SeriousCat Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:32am 
Originally posted by GKL206:
I still think the most likely cause is you're rushing through and missing a key trigger: not opening a chest or speaking to someone you should speak to. It's the commonest cause of someone experiencing a "bug" which doesn't happen to other people. I wrecked one game for myself by rushing through the poisoning quest in Baldur's Gate, missing out a dialogue and being unable to obtain the cure.

I'm a completionist. I talk to all NPCs and read all scrolls and letters.
GKL206 Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:36am 
Maybe excessive use of console then: I'm very cautious about that. The only time I've used it recently was when I carefully hid the Crom Faeyr scroll and then forgot where I'd put it. But if you're "using it every half hour..." maybe that's introducing problems.
I've played through EE thre or four times and the only proper, game-breaking bug I've encountered was my own fault for running off without speaking to the assassins.
Last edited by GKL206; Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:39am
Uncle Phil Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:38am 
The originals had some bugs, albeit mostly unseen or less apparent (quests that didn't spawn or didn't trigger properly, timed events that expired or were enlonged way too much,...). These newer versions seem to take out these old bugs and replace them with far more revealing mistakes like mouse cursor disappearing, unexplained deaths when entering an area (probably dying before everything is loaded properly),... Hardly comforting for newcomers to the series. I must say, I was entertaining the thought of replaying this series but the crude workmanship just make it seem like a rushed attempt. A mixed bag of feelings to say the least.
SeriousCat Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:38am 
Originally posted by GKL206:
Maybe excessive use of console then: I'm very cautious about that. The only time i've used it recently was when I carefully hid the Crom Faeyr scroll and then forgot where I'd put it. But if you're "using it every half hour..."

I only used it because the quests wouldn't trigger, breaking the game. I can't have broken the game by using the console before having used the console. I remember back in the day my friends telling me about the bugs in the game, yet I never experienced anything. Perhaps the game is very chaotic and temperamental...

My copy from GOG.com never had any problems.
Fluke Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:44am 
I find the enhanced version improves over the original,with added content.I have personally not come across the game breaking bugs you describe.

I have had some issues with the journal, but not game breaking.

By your above post I assume you have completed the camp and got the required items.

Do you possibly have a save you can upload.



SeriousCat Oct 9, 2013 @ 1:52am 
Originally posted by langbar:
Do you possibly have a save you can upload.

Sorry, I delete my save games as soon as I move through several areas. I usually only have about 10 saved games. Oh well, I guess I'll just continue until the quests start triggering again. I recently got into Chapter Four about 20 quests into the actual Chapter Four, so I hope it'll work now.
Showing 1-15 of 59 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 8, 2013 @ 9:58pm
Posts: 59