Posted: December 14
This is 4X plus fantasy game that shows the years spent in its development and polish.
- Huge game with a large technology tree, and many rules.
- Easy to learn but difficult to master (I take this as a plus......)
- Many ways to play, and many ways to win
- A variety of maps
- Resource Management - RTS Style for mana, iron, horses, etc
- Abilities for units
- DLC adds to the game and makes it much better
- Customization for everything: factions, leaders, city upgrades, unit design (alpha centauri style)
- Notably, good customisation for game start and in-game options. Really fine controls help you tweak things.
Standard 4X features:
- City building, unit creation, resources, unit leveling, maps, technology tree
- Good graphics
- Nice cloth map when you zoom out
Plus it has fantasy features (not usually found in a 4X):
- faction attributes
- sovereign (leader) attributes
- magic: spells, mana, magic paths
- wounds to champions
The only cons are:
- The AI is bad. This is typical, however, for the genre. Even Civ V AI was bad.
- No multiplayer. In any case, games are usually too long for efficient multi-player
- Help could have been more detailed for the more intricate aspects (and power players)
- Very tiny game provided campaigns (but the customisation should be enough to keep you occupied)
- Game balance could be slightly better