Додано: 3 липня
(as you may have guessed, my Steam playtime do not represent my actual hours in DOOM, which are probably in the thousands)
Still one of the best (if not the the best) shooters ever made.
Originally released in 1993, DOOM raised the bar and set the standard for the FPS genre.
Unlike many shooters of the time, DOOM has aged extremely well thanks to its great design and is still very much playable today if you can look past its dated (but still nice) graphics.
DOOM still has a very active community that continues to play the game online and make mods for it, so there's tons of content out there even after you've beat the game.
- Smooth gameplay that just feels right, gunning down hordes of demons never gets old.
- Legendary level design, memorable maps with tons of secrets.
- Active modding/multiplayer community.
- Decent graphics (albeit dated), still manages a to build a good atmosphere.
- Good music, sound design is generally pretty good too.
- Lacklustre "port", it's just the old v1.9 DOS exec ran under DOSBox. I'd highly recommend downloading a modern "source port" such as ZDoom[zdoom.org], GZDoom[forum.drdteam.org](ZDoom with a modern OpenGL renderer), or Zandronum[zandronum.com](GZDoom with client-server multiplayer) for the best DOOM experience.
- Which raises another issue, this game is designed for keyboard, so playing with WASD + Mouse makes the game a bit easy compared to just arrow keys.
- Framerate is locked to 35 FPS, which is fixed in aforementioned source ports.
- The price seems a tiny bit high for such an old game, definitely worth it on sale however.