bubbacho Nov 22, 2013 @ 7:20pm
John Carmack resigns from id Software
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Rent a mop - Mumble Nov 23, 2013 @ 1:02am 
Sad, but a long time coming. I think the glory days of quake 1 / 2, and the original dooms were gone long before anyway
Tabris: [Aussie Gamers] Nov 23, 2013 @ 3:58am 
The time for a new generation to step up to the plate has long since passed too. I'll give it a go but I don't think there's many left who would care.

DOOM IV should be awesome (I hope), it's just a shame that DOOM 3 killed the genre (IMHO) before it had a chance to compete with Half-Life.

How many titles that are 20 years old are still played today?

A post by the Lead Developer for Open TeamPlay: http://sourceforge.net/projects/teamplay
Rent a mop - Mumble Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:53pm 
Originally posted by Tabris: (www.sourceforge.net):
The time for a new generation to step up to the plate has long since passed too. I'll give it a go but I don't think there's many left who would care.

DOOM IV should be awesome (I hope), it's just a shame that DOOM 3 killed the genre (IMHO) before it had a chance to compete with Half-Life.

How many titles that are 20 years old are still played today?

A post by the Lead Developer for Open TeamPlay: http://sourceforge.net/projects/teamplay
Quake 4 kicked ♥♥♥ imo, at least for the campaign...shame it was kind of a sleeper since doom 3 was lame, and people were turned off to ID after that.
[RC]***Sgt.D_Nukem*** Nov 26, 2013 @ 11:33am 
yo hey, I still play "Doom 3" and "Resurrection of Evil" (albeit, modded versions of them) quite often, and they kick some serious ♥♥♥
Rent a mop - Mumble Nov 26, 2013 @ 12:02pm 
Originally posted by RC***Sgt.D_Nukem***:
yo hey, I still play "Doom 3" and "Resurrection of Evil" (albeit, modded versions of them) quite often, and they kick some serious ♥♥♥
They didn't feel all that doomy for me though, especially cause almost ALL monsters do an "intro" animation, which half the times mean I can shove the shotgun down their throat and 1 shot them. Gets kind of dumb how an imp opens his mouth and screams at me, right before I blow its head off.
[RC]***Sgt.D_Nukem*** Dec 1, 2013 @ 9:24am 
Originally posted by Rent a mop:
Originally posted by RC***Sgt.D_Nukem***:
yo hey, I still play "Doom 3" and "Resurrection of Evil" (albeit, modded versions of them) quite often, and they kick some serious ♥♥♥
They didn't feel all that doomy for me though, especially cause almost ALL monsters do an "intro" animation, which half the times mean I can shove the shotgun down their throat and 1 shot them. Gets kind of dumb how an imp opens his mouth and screams at me, right before I blow its head off.

Did you catch it off-guard, or know there's spawning points?
DigitalDiarrhea Dec 12, 2013 @ 12:24pm 
I heard about this, if only they released doom 4 prior to this? Brutal Doom mod is kick ♥♥♥ anyways!
Rent a mop - Mumble Dec 12, 2013 @ 7:28pm 
Originally posted by RC***Sgt.D_Nukem***:
Originally posted by Rent a mop:
They didn't feel all that doomy for me though, especially cause almost ALL monsters do an "intro" animation, which half the times mean I can shove the shotgun down their throat and 1 shot them. Gets kind of dumb how an imp opens his mouth and screams at me, right before I blow its head off.

Did you catch it off-guard, or know there's spawning points?:boot:
Neither, most of the time you just walk in a door, imp is there, it screams as I insert the shotgun into his mouth like a metalic ♥♥♥♥ of justice, and blow my load of justice lead into his throat.

Also the jump scares got old, since half the time you just put a pistol bullet in any "corpse" just to check

that said, doom 3 with double doom mod was the scariest ♥♥♥♥ I've ever played.
Last edited by Rent a mop - Mumble; Dec 12, 2013 @ 7:29pm
Arcade Goon Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:31pm 
This is a good thing, he left to focus on the Oculus Rift. Carmack makes new technology, its what he's best at. I can't wait!
ID should let Romero make another Doom.
chowdog13 Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:09am 
Doom 4 needs to be more of Doom 1/2 and less of 3.
bubbacho Dec 15, 2013 @ 11:21am 
Originally posted by chowdog13:
Doom 4 needs to be more of Doom 1/2 and less of 3.

From the screenshots and leaked models it looks more like Crysis 2. The environments and "damned" city looks almost identical.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Doom-4-Character-Screenshots-Leaked-39989.html
http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/02/rumor-doom-4-cancelled-leaked.html
Rent a mop - Mumble Dec 15, 2013 @ 5:43pm 
Originally posted by Arcade Goon:
This is a good thing, he left to focus on the Oculus Rift. Carmack makes new technology, its what he's best at. I can't wait!
ID should let Romero make another Doom.
Romero also quit however, I don't think he actually makes doom games, which kind of sucks, but might also be good...we know how daikatana was.
Arcade Goon Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:50pm 
Originally posted by Rent a mop:
Romero also quit however, I don't think he actually makes doom games, which kind of sucks, but might also be good...we know how daikatana was.

Yeah, I know Romero isn't there anymore. It just seemed like Carmak made the tech work and Romero made it cool to play. I have never played Daikatana and don't plan to.
Last edited by Arcade Goon; Dec 15, 2013 @ 6:50pm
bubbacho Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:01pm 
You guys do know that Romero left id 17 years ago right?
Arcade Goon Dec 16, 2013 @ 5:23pm 
Originally posted by bubbacho:
You guys do know that Romero left id 17 years ago right?

Yes, but I can dream.
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50