Posted: December 15
This review is for people who are familiar with Eve Online and I will use it draw comparisons. I will first list the features that both games have, which is the primary reason why I like these games.
- Player controlled cities/holdings
- Player controlled buildings
- Player built ships
- Full crafting system where just about everything in game is built by players.
- Full market system with buy/sell orders.
- PVP is mandatory, if you go out to kill some mobs you always have to be watching your back.
- You will lose your loot if killed by a player to that player.
Personally I played Eve Online for about a year and half, and I only had one single problem with. The downtime is excruciating most of the time. 10% of Eve Online is great fun, because very interesting things can happen in a player controlled world like that, however the other 90% can be extremely boring. Darkfall addresses this problem quite well.
Darkfall has many systems that encourage players to leave relative safety of clan holdings. This encourages players to leave there cities to accomplish many tasks. There are city levies, which take time to be emptied and you must protect yourself or take the risk of gaining massive loot. Treasure maps can be found which will give you some basic direction of where to find actual good loot drops to dig out of the ground. Just recently while treasure hunting I was forced to walk through enemy territory to find the loot. These are just a couple of ways that PVP is encouraged and exploration as well. The map is big enough to provide relative enough safety and you can always hide behind a rock and hope they don't see you.
The sieges and boat system adds to the complexity of the game. Of course this game is for hardcore players, most people are not going to like it. Before finding Darkfall I was playing Rust and trying to get into DayZ. I was interested in the idea of fearing for my life every time I go out. Darkfall does this in ways I wasn't expecting.
The progression system makes the game
- Don't leave relative safety with any items you are not willing to lose. Bank your loot often.
- You must find a group and have a mic, use teamspeak and find a decent clan, most will accept noobs. Plenty of terrible clans out there, but plenty of good ones too. Finding a good clan makes or breaks this game, it's an MMO not a single player adventure. Join one as soon as possible, they can help you learn much more quickly. If you join Darkfall planning to play solo, while possible, it is not going to be fun in the end. I play solo half the time until I'm needed for a fight or raiding party, however I'm generally always in teamspeak while playing unless I'm simply harvesting resources or crafting.
- There is a lot of grinding, if that's not for you then don't subscribe.
- You cannot repair armor or weapons, once it is destroyed by durability it is gone forever. However this keeps the market stable and makes it so resources are always in demand, Darkfall has one the most lucrative and stable markets of any MMO including Eve Online because of this.
- Crafting can be very tedious, but partly what I like about this game is harvesting resources and crafting is very easy to do while watching Netflix or otherwise doing other things online.
- This is not some tab based skill cooldown game like WOW, it is live action and fast paced meaning FPS skill is more important than your actual build in some ways.
- The interface is very old school and takes a lot of getting used to, however I grew to actually like it.
- Graphics are not amazing nor are they terrible.
- Make plenty of bags and organize your loot in your bank. It's the games way of managing the massive amount of items you will find.
- Save all your loot you get. It's almost all useful in someway or can be sold on the market. Salvage items you don't need.
- Set out to finish your feats, it's the easiest way to gain prowess.
- Gather resources on your downtime while watching Netflix or surfing the net. Every little thing you do in this game gives you prowess which can be spent on any skill or stat.