The Real DJH Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:12pm
Use without Steam
I'd like this program, but I want to be able to use it on my laptop without steam installed. If I were to buy it through Steam, would I get a key I can use for this? Or do I have to run Steam in order to run it?
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
RodeoClown  [developer] Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:19pm 
You need to run Steam to install it, but if you make a shortcut on the desktop, it will run without Steam running (I didn't think it made sense to require Steam to be running for you to be able to check your budget!)
The Real DJH Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:30pm 
That will do it, thank you!
Zorlac Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:39pm 
Originally posted by RodeoClown:
You need to run Steam to install it, but if you make a shortcut on the desktop, it will run without Steam running (I didn't think it made sense to require Steam to be running for you to be able to check your budget!)

How does that work? Everything bought on steam requires steam to run, including software.
Uncle Bunny Faces Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:41pm 
Originally posted by Zorlac:
Originally posted by RodeoClown:
You need to run Steam to install it, but if you make a shortcut on the desktop, it will run without Steam running (I didn't think it made sense to require Steam to be running for you to be able to check your budget!)

How does that work? Everything bought on steam requires steam to run, including software.
Go to your program files and create a shortcut from there.
RodeoClown  [developer] Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:42pm 
Developers can choose to wrap their software/games in Steam's DRM which requires Steam to be running, but you don't have to do it.

I've got a few games that I could play without Steam itself running, which is why I knew you could set it up that way. You do need Steam to run at least once to install it though.
Mikey Dec 19, 2012 @ 11:09pm 
How does the DRM work exactly? Is my licensed copy only available to download through Steam? Or can I download the installer from your website and then use a key that Steam has stored in order to activate YNAB?

I suppose you answered this already, but I guess I'm looking for a more direct answer to whether or not a key is generated to use on, for example, my wife's computer without having to install Steam.
RodeoClown  [developer] Dec 20, 2012 @ 12:03am 
You need a key to activate YNAB. That key is automatically installed when you buy on Steam, but you can copy it (from the Help->About popup) and use that same key on a copy of YNAB you install on your wife's computer (you can either install with Steam, or grab the trial from our site and unlock it with your key from Steam).
Mikey Dec 20, 2012 @ 6:00am 
Very convenient. Thanks for the information!
torielly Dec 20, 2012 @ 1:19pm 
Thanks that made my decision to buy so much easier.
aargh-a-knot Jan 1, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
I was a little reluctant to buy this through Steam, but when I got to the part where it gave me the activation code, I just pasted it into the trial version of YNAB that I had downloaded directly from the YNAB site, and it activated just fine. You could do it that way if you want to avoid launching steam every time.
Garfield Jan 11, 2013 @ 6:20am 
Thanks guys, buying through Steam it is!
Jen Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:07am 
This is exactly what I was wondering - perfect! Just as an aside I think it's really great that you're offering this software here - what a great way to get your name out there! Good luck!

Originally posted by RodeoClown:
You need to run Steam to install it, but if you make a shortcut on the desktop, it will run without Steam running (I didn't think it made sense to require Steam to be running for you to be able to check your budget!)
The Real DJH Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:12am 
Originally posted by Jen:
This is exactly what I was wondering - perfect! Just as an aside I think it's really great that you're offering this software here - what a great way to get your name out there! Good luck!
I agree completely, I would have never discovered this fine software had it not been put on Steam. All the people annoyed by the software put on Steam are rather close-minded if you ask me.
Internet People Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:33am 
this is nice. worth my money. (Y)
Silver Surfer Jul 17, 2013 @ 1:28am 
Originally posted by RodeoClown:
You need a key to activate YNAB. That key is automatically installed when you buy on Steam, but you can copy it (from the Help->About popup) and use that same key on a copy of YNAB you install on your wife's computer (you can either install with Steam, or grab the trial from our site and unlock it with your key from Steam).

Thank you very much this is exactly what I needed to know.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 19, 2012 @ 6:12pm
Posts: 18