Indsendt: 24. maj
What is Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition and what it does
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is the updated version of Duke Nukem 3D Atomic edition that was originally released back in 1996. What the Megaton edition does is that makes Duke Nukem 3D run on newer computers and because of that it adds support for higher resolution such as 1080p. The Megaton edition also improves the controls of the game by improving the mouse aiming and button placement. The megaton edition also includes three expansion packs that where not made by 3D Realms but they did licence it for it to be published, those are life's a beach, Duke it out in DC and Nuclear Winter.
This version of the game also comes with the level editor so that you can make your own maps and because of this steam workshop has been added
Now the actually story of Duke Nukem 3D is broken up into 4 chapters with each one having its own setting and story such as in the first chapter you have to try to stop the alien invasion but at the end of the chapter you find out that the aliens are kidnapping women which starts the second chapters. Now throughout you obviously play has Duke Nuke who basically every 80's action hero put into one person, he also spews out one liners also that are most likely a reference to something and Duke is a womanizer.
The gameplay is very similar to many first person shooters of its time such as you have to kill a bunch of enemy's and find keys that open doors but this game is kind of revolutionary in that its very different to those games because the character and the ridiculousness of the game in general but mostly because of what the build engine (that made the game) can allow which is that you can interact with the environment. Another thing that made the game revolutionary is the fact levels could be huge and because of this there can be things such as under water areas and you can use a jetpack to get to higher places.
The pros of Duke Nukem 3D
- The character
- Very good level design
- One liners
- There is a lot of variety for things such as weapons, enemy's and level design
- The game is very long and doesn't get boring
- The game is one big joke and it knows it
- The game is very original
- Because of steam workshop you can easily install user made maps
- Great replay value (mostly because of mods)
The cons of Duke Nukem 3D
- For gamer that only play newer games they might find this game hard because of the difficulty, mechanics and generally not being told to do and many other things
- Might get repetitive after a while since every level you kill enemy's and find a specific key that opens certain coloured doors
- The multiplayer is mostly dead
Overall i would recommend getting Duke Nukem 3D if you like first person shooter (mainly older ones) or if you generally want a unique experiences. The game is worth the price you play plus there is mod support which can improve replay value.