How can this possibly compete with Dwarf Fortress? - Resurrection of Deleted topic - OP didn't like results
I believe it is a bit sad that someone can delete and entire thread that had over 70 posts when it was not going the way they wanted.
This is a topic that a lot of people will probably ask, and that topic had a lot of good discussion that was not just for the benefit of it's original poster. I see a lot of people posting similar questions and I thought it was important to have some place for them to read.
There was a lot of good info in the original thread. Unfortunately, I cannot recover that for you.
I have my own opinions - which I am sure you'll see plenty of...
The gist of the deleted thread from the OP perspective:
This is a blatant carbon copy of Dwarf Fortress. Why couldn't they do something original?
Some people chimed in agreeing, but most did not.
Most people stated the following things:
1) Most games are a copy of something else. Even Dwarf Fortress inheritted its designs from games like Angband/Nethack/Rogue and was inspired by Dungeon Keeper too from what ToadyOne(Dwarf Fortress developer) stated.
2) ToadyOne has been working on Dwarf Fortress for many years and getting close to $40K/year in donations from a very dedicated niche crowd.
3) ToadyOne has expressed no interest in adding a GUI or Graphics to Dwarf Fortress. Third party additions by a DFHack application such a Stonesense add visualization in another window that is similar in appearance to Gnomoria. Third party tileset support was added and has had recent code SDL programming by someone other than ToadyOne to further support that and window size changes during game play, etc. Yet, ToadyOne himself has stated that he is making the game he and his brother wanted to play. He is very dedicated to the direction he wants to take and does not really alter this course at all.
4) Gnomoria is early alpha stage. The foundation of the game is all that currently exists. The foundation is OF COURSE going to be very similar as that is required to make this play the way people want. Once, the foundation is in place then it will start showing its own differences... it already is.
5) Adding graphics and a GUI is not cloning. It is EVOLVING the game. Diablo was essentially Angband/Nethack/Rogue style game with GUI and graphics added. Numerous other Diablo like games have since arrived. It created the Action RPG Genre.
6) Dwarf Fortress started a new Genre. Minecraft was initially started by Notch to do what Gnomoria is doing, and then on a whim Notch tried it in First Person view, and then also encountered a game called Infiniminer, and the direction of Minecraft changed to be what you have today. If that had not happened you likely would have seen something like Gnomoria several years ago.
7) Gnomoria and Towns are both examples of people being inspired by games like Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Keeper, etc and wanting a game that does not exist. They are willing to play what the Dwarf Fortress developer puts out, but they are not seeing responsiveness to requests to make a better UI (without sacrificing depth) and integrate graphics. So, eventually they will likely make something themselves.
8) Making a graphical/GUI based game is a lot more work than making an ASCII visual, and keyboard driven game. Whether this was done this way because, ToadyOne had a great game idea (it is great), but lacked the skills/knowledge at the time to do the graphical side of things... I do not know. This is my suspicion. I actually used to share this problem. However, I didn't go ahead and make my game ideas without the graphics like ToadyOne and it was after I played Dwarf Fortress that I realized "I should have!"
EDIT: I am adding that apparently, ToadyOne did have the graphics chops, he just didn't see graphics as being up to the task of handling individual teeth missing and such. So, he focused on the systems and simulation and forgoe graphics and GUI. I am of the opinion it could have, and could still be done. I actually think you can communicate more information with graphics than you can the way DF looks now. Have it pop up a window showing the condition of the dwarf when you mouse over them. It doesn't have to be big. Trial and Error. It can be done.
9) The barriers for Dwarf Fortress are the insane learning curve and very unfriendly user interface. You can learn all the crazy menus that are listed, but they are not intuitive so the only way to learn them and remember them while playing is to spend a tremendous amount of time learning. Therefore, it takes a significant amount of time before you can truly enjoy Dwarf Fortress and the depth of detail it has.
10) Dwarf Fortress has tremendous detail. Though lately it has been focused on adventure mode, and not the Fortress mode. Dwarf fortress has a back story generated with a world map.
11) Gnomoria is starting to go it's own direction with the idea of Gnomes being more like tinkers. Making beds is much more involving in Gnomoria than Dwarf Fortress as an example. It already has unique NPCs and creature types with their own behavior which have nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress.
12) Gnomoria can eventually offer the same depth as Dwarf Fortress but, it is YEARS behind in development, and the differences between Gnomoria and Dwarf Fortress will continue to emerge as each are developed.
13) Many of us that support Gnomoria also played a lot of Dwarf Fortress. We do not see adding graphics and a GUI as a bad thing. We see it as something that should have been done a long time ago with the original Dwarf Fortress. Some people even conceded they'd be fine with the current Dwarf Fortress graphics (with a tileset), just for the love of God add a modern interface.
14) GUI interfaces have existed since before 1990. You can still use hot keys if you like and insist on hardcore old school interface, that is no reason to torture your players unless you target audience is yourself. Which ToadyOne has indicated is kind of the case.
15) Graphics of the quality of Gnomoria also existed before 1990 and would be more than adequate for this type of game.
Overall the theme was that we should all embrace ALL of the games that are coming out in this new EMERGING Genre type. We should welcome them.
There was a lot more... sorry, I cannot say more, but people are welcome to chime in here. I promise NOT to delete this thread even if it does not go my way.
EDITED: To remove original poster of deleted thread's name by request.