As mentioned on our website etc, we're now in the process of patching the console versions of the game, as well as PC. I appreciate this is the Steam forum, but it's by far the best place to encourage discussion on these changes.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PS4 USERS: If you are playing on a PS4, and your game fails to load at any point, please re-download the game
. This is not a bug within Contrast, it is an error during downloading the game that has corrupted your version of the game.
In the latest console patch, we have fixed the following issues:
- Fix orb focusing bug on the top level of the Lighthouse. (You should now be able to "lock on" to the orb in all cases.)
- Fix Carousel luminary loading/persistence problem. (This fixes the situation where you could play the Carousel, not complete it, complete the other two attractions, but then not be able to restart the Carousel.)
- Fixed dashing and jumping getting you stuck in objects. (Most significant fix - big change to prevent getting stuck inside objects.)
- Fixed dashing from wedging you into geometry at low framerates.
- Fixed getting stuck in the ground or objects while shifting out. This should fix:
- Issues where the player could get stuck inside bDetailGeometry meshes. (Random stuff lying around the place.)
- Cinema skip issue. (Sorry speedrunners, we will look into preserving the previous patch, but not right now.)
- Fixes lantern issues. (When lighting changes shift you out of shadows.)
- Fixes issues with getting stuck on dynamic actors. (Eg boxes.)
- Game now displays the walking animation when stuck in a stable configuration while falling. (No more t-pose, unless you're still falling.)
- Allow jumping in that case to help the player get out of the collision. (Ie, you can now jump out of most spots in the world. Together, this plus the previous change mean you can jump out of areas that you would have been stuck in previously.)
- Fix going through walls (getting out of the map) and stop dash from going through shadows. (Big gameplay change - you no longer go into shadows automatically at the end of a dash. You can still manually shift once you've finished your dash. You may also find yourself able to double jump in certain circumstances.)
- Fix for the box falling on the player's head and floating in space.
- Fixed a bunch of rare crashes.
The PC version already received most of these changes, with some extras, as discussed here
. We will also be patching PC very shortly to add Russian localization and adding some of the more minor bug fixes that we have just made in the console version.
Thank you guys for testing it out - you were really helpful. Also, the speedrunning community blows my mind.
Please remember that playing Contrast on PC below minimum specs will always result in more bugs than other players experience. This is unavoidable - Contrast links graphics and gameplay in a way that no other game does. If you try to play Contrast on a system below our minimum spec, you're going to have a bad time.
If you guys want to ask any questions about these changes, then please do. Often the reasoning behind why things happen in game development is really opaque, and we'd be happy to clear up some misconceptions (eg why games ship with bugs).