Our last version of Xenonauts V1.5 has been on the Experimental branch for a week and nobody has reported any major bugs in it, so it has now been released to the Windows Stable (i.e. default) Steam branch. We have also activated Steam Workshop for everyone.
We have also started work porting V1.5 to Mac / Linux and expect them to arrive in the next few days. For anyone that likes to play across multiple platforms, we are also preparing the non-Steam versions for Desura, Humble Store and GOG and expect them to arrive in the next week.
For those unfamiliar with V1.5, it is a final free update to the game that irons out a number of issues with the usability, balance and stability of the final release game. It's not a fundamental change to the gameplay, rather it just tries to remove a lot of those annoying little moments when it feels like the game is fighting you.
The community contributed greatly during the development process and many contributed still more after release. I'd like to give specific thanks to Solver and llunak for their work as Community Coders and to Skitso, Max_Caine and Kabill for their mapping / modding. Many others also deserve a mention but I must omit them for the sake of brevity!IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- You can load save games from V1.09 in V1.5, so upgrading mid-campaign shouldn't be an issue.
- We've tried to avoid any broad changes to the gameplay to avoid screwing up the balance of any in-progress games, but if you want to keep playing V1.09 then you can do so on the Legacy Branch: />
- Steam Workshop & better mod support has been added
- An epilogue from the Chief Scientist has been added to the victory screen
- 70 community maps bundled with the game as an optional mod (must be activated in the launcher if you want to use them)
- Air combat now has time acceleration buttons
- Line-of-sight system for soldiers significantly improved
- Cover indicators added to the ground combat
- Late-game alien psionics / berserking now less unfair
- Units behind walls / props are easier to see
- Soldiers now get a nationality flag
- Money made less tight on easier difficulty settings
- Fixed a lot of crashes / hangs and made a lot of usability improvements
This is a much reduced changelog due to the character limit on these Announcement posts; if you want to read the full changelog (usually with some brief explanation about each change) then please follow the link here: />
This is likely to be the end of the road for additional content and balancing in Xenonauts, although we will continue to fix major bugs in the game. However we are planning to announce a new squad-based tactics game later in the year and if you'd like to hear about it when we do, feel free to sign up to our mailing list here: />
Thanks for helping to make Xenonauts the success it has now become, and we hope you enjoy playing with the new features in V1.5!