Publicada: 17 Dezembro
XENONAUTS FANBOIS BEWARE : THE FOLLOWING WILL BE A HARSH COMPARISON TO THE CLASSIC XCOM (1994 - 1995), DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOUR WELLBEING DEPENDS ON CONSTANT GLORIFICATION OF THIS GAME OR IF YOU GET UPSET EASILY :
(scroll down if you want to read about reality, please)
1) in parts buggy
2) bad, miniscule research
3) interesting aircraft-recovery, losing a craft costs nothing but WILL cost time (usually 72 hours)
4) difficulty-progression is worse / more steep than in XCOM (yes, the real, classic ones) - basically you have 2 years ... which is far from good and isnt any fun --- unlike XCOM in which the player has at least a decent amount of time before ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan
5) available money seems adequate at first - but if you dont want to lose after 2 years you will need to invest EVERYTHING and fear every loss because that can (and will) end the game. Thats XCOM on high difficulty, in this game its medium. Thats sad.
(i dont remember the exact difficulty-names, sorry)
6) research doesnt make much sense - the results are well explained but its senseless to gain knowledge about ARMOR during PLASMA RIFLE reseach, for example - that should've been available after "alien alloys" .... and its only a small example
7) air combat is a bit more fun than in XCOM - but its also a bit harder
8) air-retreat has a big bug : the match ends only once the UFO (!) has left the screen, even if your fighter has already left
9) ground combat is ... not bad, it basically looks like XCOM with high resolution but in that case i prefer a lower resolution - either polish the classic combat in ways which make it better or keep it like it is .... there is no in-between, everything else looks pretty cheap to be honest and thats exactly what this game is -- even the dying-animations (if one could call em that) are cheap and consist of .... one (?) single step - in XCOM it was at least 2-3 per alien.
10) Music is good but the soundeffects are pretty bad - most sounds are missing or replaced by very bad ones
11) It has no XCOM-like feeling, the ground combat does not instill fear, there is zero tense anywhere and it looks like ... something boring.
12) ground combat-view is not rotatable. Yes. One of the most important features in tactical, turn-based games is missing. XCOM had it. Because its necessary.
13) the world map looks bad - even XCOM had a (much) better one, even in 3D
conclusion : its worse than the classics in some ways. The few additives make it worthwile for a few hours but thats it ... if you want a new (and ACTUAL) XCOM-follower this is not your game, its basically a bad version of what should've been released from the original XCOM-developers a few years after the last of the (original) series ... not bad but also not really good.