Fallout 3 runs GREAT with these easy steps!
NOTE: An easier to follow version of this guide,
with more pics & vids and more updated is clickable below:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149946772
Please don't be intimidated by this list!
Most people get it working with step 4 alone, which is just adding two lines to an INI file.
Windows 8 users often need to run an update shown in step 1.
If you only have Intel HD graphics, no ATI or Nvidia video card, then you also need step 7.1)
Install Fallout 3.
Start Fallout, click Play, push the escape key and Quit.
It will validate your game, detect your graphics card and create a fallout.ini.
* Dual monitors? Either disable 2nd monitor (Windows key + P) or set same res on both.
* Causes fallout 3 crashes: teamspeak "overwolf", ASUS xonar "gx" & GamerOSD.
IF CRASHING WHEN CLICKING "PLAY" in the fallout launcher, update Games for Windows Live (click me),[download.gfwl.xboxlive.com]
. Double click the download to run it.
If that doesn't work, click "options" and set your resolution to your desktop res, or try windowed mode.
In rare cases (badly modded prior installs and bad guides) it mightbe necessary to delete the 3 files found in C:\users\yourname\Documents\My Games\Fallout 3
(don't delete Saves folder)
STOP. DON'T DO ANY OTHER STEPS UNTIL YOU'VE SUCCESSFULLY CLICKED PLAY.2)
OPTIONAL: "Games for Windows Live" may cause problems.
Let's disable it with a program specially for Fallout 3.
(FOSE also disables it)3) SKIP THIS STEP
- Manually download this.[fallout3.nexusmods.com]
- Extract (unzip) the download.
- Start the G4WL disabler by double clicking it
- Click the "Disable G4WL" button and exit.
- If you have old GWFL save games, recover by moving them from C:\users\yourname\Documents\My Games\Fallout\yourGFWLname\Saves
to C:\users\yourname\Documents\My Games\Fallout\Saves
if using steam version.
If you have an old CD version of the game, Update to 1.7 with this official patch.[download.zenimax.com]
The oldest CD version of fallout 3 comes with a bad version of .NET, you should update it[www.microsoft.com]
This step solves most random and post-intro movie new game crashes!
Especially crashes when hearing the baby cry.
Shortcut: Optional step 6 now does this for you automatically.
Click here to see example.5)
- Edit with notepad:
- My Documents\my games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.INI
or C:\users\yourname\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\FALLOUT.ini
- This may appear as "FALLOUT" in windows explorer.
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT EDIT Fallout_default.ini !!! You're in the wrong directory!!!
- find (control F) bUseThreadedAI=0
- CHANGE to bUseThreadedAI=1
- Immediately after this line, ADD this new line:
Autosaves & save overwrites eventually ruin game with crashes & corruption.
While playing press escape, settings, gameplay, disable all 3 autosave options.
Always save to a "New Save". Really! (CASM mod does this for you automatically)6)
UPDATED Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch
Optional but strongly recommended!
TONS of bug fixes. It would take dozens of pages to list them all.Click here & "download manually" [www.nexusmods.com]
the "NEWB FRIENDLY" version and run it.
* The site registration for Nexus is free and quick.
STOP AND TEST GAME. Most people should be done at this point.
Steps 7-9 are ONLY for "New Game" crashes BEFORE the intro movie plays:
Check the resolution set in fallout launcher options to see if it is sane, perhaps that alone will fix your problem.
Some computers do not have a video card, using only the wimpy graphics processor built into the CPU (Intel IGP). These users crash on the intro movie and need the following fix. STOP: This fix is only for people with intel HD graphics! If you have any ATI or Nvidia video card you shouldn't be using this!
- Click here[fallout3.nexusmods.com] and "download manually"
- Right click the download to extract it
- Drag only the d3d9x.dll file to your Fallout folder, probably at:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\
- If Fallout Launcher Options still reports your card as "Intel HD", you put d3d9.dll in wrong directory!
- Reset your resolution in fallout launcher options. Click "advanced" button and uncheck water reflections/refractions for performance reasons with IGP.
Not for windows 8. Only if you're still stuck.
9) Only if the above didn't help.
That's all the setup tips.
There are three more parts to this guide, you'll need to view them on page 1 of this thread or by clicking the main guide icon at the top.