This post has been designed to be a reference to help to resolve any issues our players may run into. Here we go!
KOFXIIISE has a couple of launch options designed to resolve some issues that have been experienced on some PCs. Available launch options are as follows:
- "-w" - Forces the game to open in windowed mode
- "-v" - Removes all videos from game (workaround for codec crashes. More information below in the "Game crashes after SNK Playmore logo" section)
- "-r" - Forces frame limiting (game may take a performance hit, but can help lock your game to 60fps. More information below in the "Help! Game runs super fast!" section)
- "-a" - Do not disable Aero (Game normally disables the Aero theme automatically whilst you play for performance reasons. "-a" leaves Aero on)
How do you set launch options? Easy!
1) Right-click on THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII STEAM EDITION in your Steam library and select "Properties"
2) A window should pop up. There, click "Set Launch Options..."
3) Another window will pop up. There you can enter your launch options.
Launch options can be combined! Just separate them with a space. For example: "-v -w" (without quotes) will force windowed mode and remove all videos from the game.
Help! My game runs super fast!
So some people may experience their game running at super fast speeds. If you come across this issue, there are a couple of things you can do:
- KOFXIIISE runs best on monitors with a refresh rate of 60hz. Try setting your monitor to this.
- People have reported that launching KOFXIIISE directly from the kofxiii.exe file helps. Check out this thread for more info: http://steamcommunity.com/app/222940/discussions/1/864979008345771819/
- Running the game in fullscreen can often force 60fps (ie. normal game speed).
- Setting the "-r" launch option (see the "Launch Options" section above)
FPS issues or slow gameplay
Some PCs may experience FPS issues or slow gameplay. Especially on busier levels such as the London or USA levels. There are a few things you can do to help keep KOFXIIISE running at a constant 60fps:
- Using the "Fixed" frame rate method will activate frame skips which will allow your game to run at regular speed. Online play is always rendered using the Fixed frame rate method.
- Setting backgrounds to "Static" will drastically reduce processing, thus increasing your FPS.
- Try running the game in windowed mode.
Game crashes after SNK Playmore logo
This is most likely due to a video codec issue. Fortunately, there are a few workarounds available!
- Official Microsoft Windows Media Player codecs are required to run the videos in KOFXIIISE. If you haven't installed Windows Media Player, or have an old version, consider upgrading/installing it. This should give you the required codecs.
- if issues still persist, consider using the "-v" (without quotes) launch option. This will remove all videos from the game thus allowing you to skip over them without crashing.
Game hangs on initial loading screen
For most people, forcing the game to launch in windowed mode fixes this. From there, pressing "ALT+ENTER" will switch over to full screen.
You can force windowed mode by using the "-w" (without quotes) launch option.
If this still does not fix the issue, please keep an eye out for a future patch! We apologize for any inconvenience.
Player Record data not appearing
The Player Record data display is currently experiencing some issues that we are looking to resolve. However, the data is all there in the Steam cloud. One way to force your data to update is to create an online Player Match room. This will update your records.
Also, your true "Times Used" character statistic will only display for characters you use in an online match this play session. The information is being stored correctly, there are just experiencing some issues with the display of it.
Subtitles aren't appearing in Story and/or Arcade mode!
This is a known issue. We are looking to resolve this in a future update. Apologies for the inconvenience!
Weird lines/Graphical Artifacts appearing
Please see this post
Please see this post
Thank you for your taking the time to check out the FAQ. We hope this helps those who come across any issues. If there are any other issues, please comment in the forums!