a call for a simple realistic mode
First thing, I think it's a great game. and I think so because unlike your common RTS it focuses on realistic settings, which leads to realistic tactics.
However, some traditional RTS mechanisms are still in there :
1. over-balancing of maps (most are meeting engagements, with symmetric builds)
2. unrealistic reinforcement modelcauses rock-scissor-paper gameplay, which sucks.
A (common) example :
two sides rushing airborne troops to a city, followed by AA ground units moving recklessly on the unsecured road toward the known meeting point... this is both unrealistic and it also gets boring after a while.
I suggest the following modifications for a better gaming experience :
1. no / limited reinforcement mode - if you had to pick your troops at the beginning of each combat. to encourage you to hold the zones you could play in conquest mode, or better yet an hybrid conquest / destruction mode.
2. offense / defense mode : we could give the defender 1/3 points of the other side, but let her deploy on all the zones. (this is not the "siege" mode, which resembles nothing at all in most realistic scenarios - because one side is circled and the other gets reinforcements ... )
3. less flexibility in decks : we could have a special game mode which only allows you to choice a "main" force (say infantry/mechanized/armored regiment ) + some supporting elements (artillary/aircraft/logistics)
Note my suggestions can be implemented at scenario level, so they are (a) optional and (b) easy to implement. perhaps it can even be done by modding.
What do you think ?