Steam for Linux

Steam for Linux

elgregor Dec 7, 2012 @ 11:06am
310.14 vs 310.19
Newest driver in Ubuntu repos is 310.14, but Nvidia's newest (and stable) driver is 310.19. I have two questions:

- what are the differences between those two

- does anyone have even rough idea, when 310.19 will be available in Ubuntu repositories?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
John Dec 7, 2012 @ 12:40pm 
I'm actually wondering this also. 310.19 is the most recent stable driver and was released ~3 weeks ago, but has neither made it to jockey nor the x-swat PPA.

It's unusual for x-swat to not update with the latest stable release within days.
elgregor Dec 7, 2012 @ 1:27pm 
IIRC xorg-edgers had 310.19 in PPA. In theory I could add ppa, update only the driver and disable the PPA...
blackout24 Dec 7, 2012 @ 4:07pm 
Reminds me why I don't use Ubuntu anymore. Otherwise I'd have to use outdated repos or search for thousands of PPAs.

I'd wait until you can install it through the package manager it makes removing and updating easier. If you install it from the nvidia site you'll have some files on your system that might cause trouble when switching back to using the official nvidia package from the repos again.
You'd have to run the installer again to remove the manuall instalation first.
daret Dec 8, 2012 @ 4:40am 
xorg-edgers:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/install-nvidia-unix-driver-30432-on.html
[Linux] timopm Dec 8, 2012 @ 5:02am 
As far as I know, 310.14 is the beta release and nothing has been changed for the final 310.19 version.

t.jp: that's some nice bullcrap you're talking about. It's perfectly possible to never use any PPA on an Ubuntu system. If you left because of the PPA's, that means it is becuse of you, not the other way around.
Most of the time poeple are also recommending PPA's when it is not even needed. About a month ago or so, people were shouting everyone had to add PPA's for the new Nvidia driver while it was available in the official Ubuntu proposed repository. Even now, people recommend adding those PPA's while there is ABSOLUTELY NO reason to do it.
blackout24 Dec 8, 2012 @ 5:47am 
Fact: Ubuntu Repos are never bleeding edge. Period. And when it comes to graphics drivers and gaming you have to be bleeding edge. On Windows you might be ok with a 5 month old driver because it will still be rather good but on linux we need these new versions just to get decent performance and bug fixes.
Last edited by blackout24; Dec 8, 2012 @ 5:47am
[Linux] timopm Dec 8, 2012 @ 6:47am 
But the latest nvidia driver IS in the official repository. It was even in proposed before other *well known* PPA's had it.
John Dec 8, 2012 @ 9:31am 
Originally posted by timopm:
But the latest nvidia driver IS in the official repository. It was even in proposed before other *well known* PPA's had it.

Which repository is the latest nvidia driver (310.19) in? I've been on precise-proposed since I installed 12.04 and I've never gotten a driver update from a Canonical repository, but I might have something misconfigured.

Traditionally you had to have the x-swat PPA to get the latest stable nvidia driver. I know they made some changes to jockey to add in the experimental stuff.

And to answer my earlier question, when I woke up this morning I realized why x-swat hasn't been updated... the 304 series is going to be the legacy series so 310 and above won't work for GeForce 7 and below, so I presume that's why they haven't updated. I'm not sure how they plan to work around that.
blackout24 Dec 8, 2012 @ 2:57pm 
I'm also not sure if they still want to provide at least bugfixes for the legacy brance since the 304.64 driver is crap. I have never had that many problems with nvidia ever. From random GPU lockups to charset corruption you'll get it all with 304.64.
haha01haha01 Dec 9, 2012 @ 2:47am 
There is no need to add a PPA, you can download the Linux driver from NVIDIA's site and install it manually (note that you will need to shut down X for that. to do that open another TTY and type "sudo service lightdm stop")
blackout24 Dec 9, 2012 @ 3:46am 
Originally posted by haha01haha01:
There is no need to add a PPA, you can download the Linux driver from NVIDIA's site and install it manually (note that you will need to shut down X for that. to do that open another TTY and type "sudo service lightdm stop")

This is very messy and can lead to problems, when switching back to using the package manager for updates if not done properly.
elgregor Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:10am 
To people reading this topic: first rule of Linux is "never copy and paste anything you don't understand into terminal" ;)

Originally posted by haha01haha01:
There is no need to add a PPA, you can download the Linux driver from NVIDIA's site and install it manually (note that you will need to shut down X for that. to do that open another TTY and type "sudo service lightdm stop")
If I wanted to install 310.19 I would rather do it this way, because it's easier to revert it:

Originally posted by daret:
xorg-edgers:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/install-nvidia-unix-driver-30432-on.html

BUT AFTER DOING THIS IT"S IMPORTANT TO DISABLE XORG-EDGERS PPA, OR WITH THE NEXT UPDATE YOU'LL GET BLEEDING EDGE XORG AND STUFF!
Last edited by elgregor; Dec 9, 2012 @ 5:11am
PizzaDude [Linux] Dec 9, 2012 @ 7:49pm 
Originally posted by elgregor:
To people reading this topic: first rule of Linux is "never copy and paste anything you don't understand into terminal" ;)

Originally posted by haha01haha01:
There is no need to add a PPA, you can download the Linux driver from NVIDIA's site and install it manually (note that you will need to shut down X for that. to do that open another TTY and type "sudo service lightdm stop")
If I wanted to install 310.19 I would rather do it this way, because it's easier to revert it:

Originally posted by daret:
xorg-edgers:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/08/install-nvidia-unix-driver-30432-on.html

BUT AFTER DOING THIS IT"S IMPORTANT TO DISABLE XORG-EDGERS PPA, OR WITH THE NEXT UPDATE YOU'LL GET BLEEDING EDGE XORG AND STUFF!

From https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

This PPA is currently meant to be used as a whole. Please do _not_ individually install packages from it, add it to your sources and let your package manager pull in every update. The packages here build against each other and compile different features based on whats available at build time. Do not assume that because it lets you install a DDX with just the driver and libdrm update that it will work. These packages are made with scripts that use the the current packages as the base, so some dependencies can be wrong and your package manager will not resolve that for you. If you want to individually install something from here, grab the source and rebuild it in your current environment instead.

So the correct way would be to:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade or sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
elgregor Dec 10, 2012 @ 2:39am 
So I guess I will stay with 310.14 for now.
[Linux] timopm Dec 10, 2012 @ 2:47am 
Originally posted by elgregor:
So I guess I will stay with 310.14 for now.

There's nothing wrong with that, unless someone tells me what the changes are between 310.14 and 310.19 which are so important. Just stay with the drivers in the repositories and stop messing with PPA's if you have an Nvidia card.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 15 30 50