Here goes a quite long report on running Steam on nixos
. This distribution is a bit particular since it doesn't have either /bin/bash, nor ld-linux.so in the standard path. As a first approach, however, I simlinked both to their standard places and managed to install and run steam and some games.
First of all, my system's info is here
. I run awesome as window manager.
And now for the report:Steam:
- bug installing steam: there is only one issue which I have not seen mentioned in the forums. If the Desktop folder does not exist, then the 'cp steam.desktop ~/Desktop' copies the file with Desktop as destination name. There is a missing 'mkdir ~/Desktop' in the script that does the installation.
- menus not working: reported here
- windows don't close: reported here
- flash support: reported here. It would be nice if the path could be somehow specified.
- Braid, LIMBO and Psychonauts don't install: many reports in the forums
- Aquaria: I get a black screen on start. If I switch to a terminal and then switch back to X i sometimes get proper output. I have no clue what's wrong. Audio is ok
- Osmos: missing libGLU and libvorbisfile reported partially here. With both in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, it works perfectly.
- TF2: segfaults on start. backtrace here. I did not manage to find another post with the same issue as mine.
- Superbrothers S&S EP: missing libcurl and libGLU. reported here. With both in the lib path, it works perfectly.
- World of Goo: segfaults if run with alsa. backtrace here. If I switch to pulseaudio, it starts and runs fine, but with no sound. I checked some of the other running games with pulseaudio and audio was ok.
I think that's all for now. Thanks for bringing Steam to linux and I hope I we can start playing L4D2 some time soon :)